Sabres Trade Eric Staal To Montreal for 2021 3rd and 5th Round Picks

Brawndo

21 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

If he was just bad it'd be one thing. His effort was sometimes disgraceful.

He was actually out there on the ice?  I thought he was just another Sabre buried somewhere on dat "undisclosed injury out indefinitely" list.

2 minutes ago, John Tucker said:

Agreed... I'd love to see percentages of how many 3rd's and/or 5th's actually amount to anything.  It's quite common in the NFL for mid round picks to turn into All-Pro's but less likely in the NHL I would think.

@darksabredid the math a few years ago.  At least I think it was him.  Might have been @LGR4GM.  Heck, at dis point, it might have been me (it wasn't).

It's not good.  And it certainly is nothing like the NFL, where guys in those rounds are expected to make the roster immediately after their draft year.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Eleven said:

$10 Canadian is worth more than a 3d and a 5th.

Yeah, the chances of a 3rd or 5th turning into a good young player who can help a team for years is not very good, but you know what else is not very good?  Eric Staal.

What did you want for him?

19 minutes ago, John Tucker said:

And maybe I've missed dis, but why is dis changed to dis and dat to dat in all these posts!?!?  😃

Sorry, but I feel like th!s site is now being inunDATed with th!s gibberish!  I have growing DISdain for the language and would ask everybody to please return to a normal state of DIScussion by tomorrow's DATe before we get DIScouraged!  Please accomoDATe my request.

Edited by Carmel Corn
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yeah, the chances of a 3rd or 5th turning into a good young player who can help a team for years is not very good, but you know what else is not very good?  Eric Staal.

$10 Canadian.  Or six Dairy Queen coupons.

Edited by Eleven
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

There was a shift just last game where he followed a dump in without moving his legs an inch, just gliding disinterested, and it unexpectedly came free enough dat he could have had a chance at a shot, but he didn't accelerate toward it at all. It was inexplicable, and his entire season has been just gliding and reaching half-heartedly

I won’t agree dat he dogged it all season.  I’ll agree dat the  Sabres sucked the Staal out of Staal. 

dis organization is pitiful.  

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

We are usually on the same page but not here.  He wasn’t great, seems like the Sabres sucked the Staal out of Staal. 

I think he is finished.  It will be interesting to see what he can do for the Habs. 

53 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I won’t agree dat he dogged it all season.  I’ll agree dat the  Sabres sucked the Staal out of Staal. 

dis organization is pitiful.  

Oh Punch, your memories of when you watched him back in the Aud must be clouding your vision.

I was excited to get him, but he was so, so very awful.

He didn't win a puck battle or footrace the entire season. Every single time he touched the puck his feet stopped moving. The only time he ever did anything worthwhile was when someone (essentially, only Sam) put the puck on his tape in open ice with time; then he would often make a good pass or shot. But if he was at all under pressure in those situations, or the pass wasn't on the tape, all he would do was lean, reach, and lose the puck. It was his signature move, the lazy poke.

He can still think the game and he still has hands, so a well-coached, more talented team with something to play for might mask his flaws a bit.

Maybe it was attitude, maybe age, maybe a little of both, but he was flat out bad in Buffalo.

The worst player on a bad team.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Curt said:

True enough, but interestingly the 2 young D dat everyone in the lineup thread want us to retain and keep in the lineup nightly are 4th rd picks Bryson (2017) and Borgen (2015)  Also Laaksonen is a 3rd rd pick from 2017.  While rare, draft correctly and a 3rd rd pick can turn into Brayden Point or Anthony Cirelli.  

When the Sabres were good, before video scouting, they regularly hit on later picks and we built a team around them in Soupy (6th rd), Max (3rd rd), Kotalik (6th rd), Miller (5th rd), Gaustad (7th) and Sekera (3rd rd).  We also let other good later picks walk for nothing or nearly nothing such as Wideman (8th rd 2002), Hejda (4th rd 2003) and MacArthur (3rd rd 2003).  

The last NHLers dat the Sabres drafted in the 5th round were Alex Biega in 2006 and Nathan Gerbe (2005).  Before them was Ryan Miller (1999)

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.