Sabres fire arena guy. 97 morning show fired too. Update today.

miles

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Likely not true. Radio stations are run with skeleton crews these days. I'll bet the jocks are doing all the social media stuff along with their shows. And probably voice track another whole show for the Cumulus station in Bumfug, Egypt. It's the new digital sweat shop

It’s probably the producer who pulls double duty.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Likely not true. Radio stations are run with skeleton crews these days. I'll bet the jocks are doing all the social media stuff along with their shows. And probably voice track another whole show for the Cumulus station in Bumfug, Egypt. It's the new digital sweat shop

I think with some aspect they do, but when it comes to social media, PR, and things like that they usually have a few employees to do that, although it may be 'Interns' trying to get into the industry.

2 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think with some aspect they do, but when it comes to social media, PR, and things like that they usually have a few employees to do that, although it may be 'Interns' trying to get into the industry.

I think you'd be surprised what radio had become. Even in Canada where I thought they ran things much better, companies like Bell are slashing staffs to the bone. I got out at the right time.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

I think you'd be surprised what radio had become. Even in Canada where I thought they ran things much better, companies like Bell are slashing staffs to the bone. I got out at the right time.

I know about Bell, they have been ripping apart all the stations around here, letting go of all the established DJs and bringing in younger (cheaper) people to replace them if they aren't just syndicating shows from other areas. All the media outlets are doing it, Rogers this year decided they don't want to have a separate crew to do the Blue Jays radio broadcasts so they will just broadcast the audio from the TV telecast on their radio station. 

8 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Dude shouldn’t have said idiotic things. It’s that simple. 

Which one? One of them lost his job as part of the radio show for making the comments, the other lost his job working for PSE (which had no tie to the show except for it being the hosts 'Day Job') basically for not saying something.

7 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Which one? One of them lost his job as part of the radio show for making the comments, the other lost his job working for PSE (which had no tie to the show except for it being the hosts 'Day Job') basically for not saying something.

I just read that. Genzler was the announcer at UB games too. Apparently he didn't say anything racist. He was in the studio with Lederman and got caught up by association. He and a third guy were suspended but not fired. 

Just now, Cascade Youth said:

It’s amazing that some people STILL haven’t gotten the memo.  Right or wrong, you have to be a complete moron not to realize by now there are things you can’t say.  

As I said above, he even said right before it 'i will probably get in trouble for saying this'. It's less shocking to me what the people actually say then it is that they would say anything knowing what ends up happening for doing it.

23 minutes ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

What an idiot. Even if it was a joke it was in incredibly poor taste. In this day and age you really need to think before you speak. Know your audience. Even then you probably shouldn’t joke using racially insensitive material 

Like totally.  Wow.  In this day and age, people should know that speaking honestly from the heart is unacceptable.  Sure, saying it on radio is dumb.  But studies have shown that Whites, Asians, and even Blacks men find Black women the least attractive. 

Here's one such abstract:

Using data from 6070 U.S. heterosexual internet dating profiles, this study examines how racial and gender exclusions are revealed in the preferences of black, Latino, Asian and white online daters. Consistent with social exchange and group positions theories, the study finds that whites are least open to out-dating and that, unlike blacks, Asians and Latinos have patterns of racial exclusion similar to those of whites. Like blacks, higher earning groups including Asian Indians, Middle Easterners and Asian men are highly excluded, suggesting that economic incorporation may not mirror acceptance in intimate settings. Finally, racial exclusion in dating is gendered; Asian males and black females are more highly excluded than their opposite-sex counterparts, suggesting that existing theories of race relations need to be expanded to account for gendered racial acceptance.

But, you know, that whole science thing is not allowed in a Thought Police Communist Era.    In contrast to others, I KNOW Physics.  I know science. And science can NOT function in a world where open and honest dialog is not allowed.  Was this radio conversation really insensitive? Sure.  I wouldn't say it on radio.  But as you can see, I'm not afraid to tell the truth.   A fact's a fact from Nome to Rome.

Edited by etiennep99
Spell-check and editted to reflect PASabreFan's observation that it wasn't the Sabres guy who was talking.

19 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

It’s amazing that some people STILL haven’t gotten the memo.  Right or wrong, you have to be a complete moron not to realize by now there are things you can’t say.  

16 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

As I said above, he even said right before it 'i will probably get in trouble for saying this'. It's less shocking to me what the people actually say then it is that they would say anything knowing what ends up happening for doing it.

10 minutes ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

What an idiot. Even if it was a joke it was in incredibly poor taste. In this day and age you really need to think before you speak. Know your audience. Even then you probably shouldn’t joke using racially insensitive material 

Do you guys still not get that it wasn't Rich who was speaking? Rich said one word, actually barely a word: K or OK. He didn't laugh. He knew it was wrong. What was he supposed to do? The producer could have killed the mic but didn't.

Terry said something truly racist (using today's standard) not long after buying the Sabres. Maybe he should be canceled.

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Do you guys still not get that it wasn't Rich who was speaking? Rich said one word, actually barely a word: K or OK. He didn't laugh. He knew it was wrong. What was he supposed to do? The producer could have killed the mic but didn't.

Terry said something truly racist (using today's standard) not long after buying the Sabres. Maybe he should be canceled.

Excellent points.  And it gets back to the Sabres' culture where anyone who says anything amiss gets canned.   That's what happened to JMTM, right?  And what happened with Patty?

The NHL needs to do a sit-down intervention with the Pegulas.  You're last in the league, but you're not picking up anyone on waivers.  Your goalie situation sucks, so you trade away a goalie when you lack depth.  You sign $8M players instead of building a new team like Florida did this year (and like Jason even tried to do the last few years - Vesey types).

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, etiennep99 said:

Like totally.  Wow.  In this day and age, people should know that speaking honestly from the heart is unacceptable.  Sure, saying it on radio is dumb.  But studies have shown that Whites, Asians, and even Blacks men find Black women the least attractive. 

But, you know, that whole science thing is not allowed in a Thought Police Communist Era.    In contrast to others, I KNOW Physics.  I know science. And science can NOT function in a world where open and honest dialog is not allowed.  Was this radio conversation really insensitive? Sure.  I wouldn't say it on radio.  But as you can see, I'm not afraid to tell the truth.   A fact's a fact from Nome to Rome.

What the heck does this science stuff or honestly stuff have to do with racially insensitive stuff on the radio?

What does that study that you cited have to do with this discussion at all?

The guys didn’t get fired for accurately discussing scientific studies on the radio.  They didn’t get fired for speaking honestly from the heart.  They didn’t get fired for bravely speaking the truth.

They got fired for making a racial joke on the radio that would offend some listeners.  I’m sure that their contracts outline the type of things that they can not say.

Edited by Curt
Grammar

33 minutes ago, etiennep99 said:

It isn't speaking honestly, it's called racism. Also did you ever stop to think why beauty standards are what they are? Knowing physics and understand psychology are not the same thing. It's not open and honest dialog to say that black women aren't attractive if they are too black. That's just straight up racism and even if you have those internal beauty standards, you don't say that trash on the radio. Deserves to be fired for such backwards thinking. 

Racism: "prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized."

• Thanks (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I never said it was or wasn’t Rich. Whoever it was speaking, is a moron. Did Rich get unfairly ***** canned? Probably. But you can’t talk like that on the radio. Even if you thought it was funny, which I didn’t find it offensive but I can see how other people could, you can’t talk like that on the radio. Not in today’s PC world. I’m sure you can dig up old Howard Stern clips that are much worse than that

8 minutes ago, Curt said:

What the heck does this science stuff or honestly stuff have to do with racially insensitive stuff on the radio?

What does that study that you cited have to do with this discussion at all?

The guys didn’t get fired for accurately discussing scientific studies on the radio.  They didn’t get fired for speaking honestly from the heart.  They didn’t get fired for bravely speaking the truth.

They got fired for making a racial joke on the radio that would offend some listeners.  I’m sure that their contracts outline the type of things that they can not say.

Of course, Rich didn't get fired from the station. He's suspended. He did get fired from PSE, but not for making a racial joke on the radio.

10 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

He's been doing it for a while now, Maybe they can bring back the guy from the old Kiss 98.5 morning show who did it before him?

I don't think I've ever laughed harder at the arena (or Aud) than when the crowds took to booing Nicholas Picholas mercilessly, and for reasons that were never entirely clear (to me).

10 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

He even said right before it "I will probably get in trouble for saying this" 

This is why I don't feel all that badly for the guy who made the remarks. He knew it was wrong to talk (think) that way. But he proceeded anyway.

44 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, Rob. No. No, man. That's not right. Let's leave that there. Just, no."

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, Rob. No. No, man. That's not right. Let's leave that there. Just, no."

Who's Pangloss how?

That would be extremely hard to pull off. (The dismissive "K" actually spoke volumes.) What should the penalty be for not doing so?

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Who's Pangloss how?

That would be extremely hard to pull off. (The dismissive "K" actually spoke volumes.) What should the penalty be for not doing so?

Ha! That's not quite apt, but I'll allow it. Fair play.

And I think there's something to what you say. In that moment, I would imagine that Gensler (sp?) was sitting there with his eyes widening, thinking "WTF are you saying?!", then the moment had passed, and he was still processing the sh1t that had been spewed. Along those lines, I think the "... ok" was from a guy whose mind was reeling a bit. I am not sure it speaks volumes.

I do wonder: Did the show continue from there? Was there a chance to circle back and acknowledge what had been said in the context of that program, and apologize? That may be where Gensler really missed.

19 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It isn't speaking honestly, it's called racism. Also did you ever stop to think why beauty standards are what they are? Knowing physics and understand psychology are not the same thing. It's not open and honest dialog to say that black women aren't attractive if they are too black. That's just straight up racism and even if you have those internal beauty standards, you don't say that trash on the radio. Deserves to be fired for such backwards thinking. 

Racism: "prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized."

You mention psychology.  OK. What makes a person attractive?   It isn't looks? It isn't shared history? It isn't financial stablity? It isn't a sense that the partner would make a good parent?  It isn't sexiness?   As a scientist, I believe in evolution. Evolution enforced by racial marriage quotas, for example, would be a very strange kind of evolution.  Evolution assumes some level of free agency.   I don't believe in a "benevolent" dictator enforcing corrections on long evolved partly subconscious decision making.

As for the radio show not being a Science show.  Of course, it isn't science.  It's radio.  Radio for the masses.  Radio for the scientifically illiterate.  I wouldn't expect a radio host to be well versed in science and psychology.  As I said, I thought that the conversation was insensitive and in extremely poor taste. But the underlying revelations are the same. These radio guys expressed themselves in the way that they knew how.  And perhaps that means that they deserve to be off the air because their ability for nuanced expression is severely lacking.  I'm just saying that research shows that they are not alone in how they feel about dating people of different colors/backgrounds.  Why this is so, it cannot be determined if we shoot people for saying that this is how they feel.

How many of you out there have dated Black women?  Just curious.  Y'all seem to think that you're perfectly free from racism.  Just wondering.  No one has to answer. I'm not going to get into my relationship history, except to say that the Bible commands believers to only marry other true believers; I make no apologies for drawing a line there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.