GDT: 3/24/2021: Sabres at Pittsburgh Penguins 8pm NBCSN

DarthEbriate

5 minutes ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

Did anyone else see after the game where Hall basically said he absolutely wants to be traded? I don’t see anyone discussing it. Probably because it doesn’t really matter. Imagine spending all that money on a Hall jersey before the season...

In the GDT after last nights game it was posted.

• Like (+1) 1

Pronger, Heddman, Chara - all started slow but none of them were ever this bad in any one season, let alone season 3.  Of course none played on the worst team in the league, and part of possibly the worst season of any “modern” team.  Dahlin has lots of reasons to be struggling (coaching, pandemic, linemates) but the biggest is his own lack of intensity and confidence.   

Hall agreeing to a trade is good.  Otherwise we have our next Leino/Earhart/Okposo/Skinner.  I would take anything for him. He is not helping this team.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

But I wasn't talking expectations and dat's not where the conversation was. The whole substance of it was Dahlin being a potential Bust. It wasn't about living up to expectations - dat was literally my first comment to him - bust relative to expectations or an actual bust?

You classified my position as "quick to dismiss" - when the context was "bust", and bring up "relative to expectations" when I've already stipulated dat expectations should change. 

I don't see how I was quick to dismiss anything - other than the idea dat Dahlin is Yakupov. I'm comfortable quickly dismissing dat. If you want to take more issue with dat dismissal than a comparison to Yakupov, have at it. 

- - - 

I’m honestly much less concerned with humming and hawing over whether we get what was “promised to us”, in the past, with Dahlin, and more concerned with mining value where it can be mined and actually building a winning hockey team - Reinhart is Reinhart, but what about a Reinhart currently locked up for the foreseeable future at around 5.5 million? 

Plot is getting lost a bit. The errors of the franchise are their own. We have the ability to make our own future. The value dat Dahlin provides, relative to what was advertised, literally matters not, now, it’s in the past - we can get him to a point, with savvy asset management, where he’s locked into a contract dat provides value relative to what he’s being paid. 

Get his development back on track. Go make your own value. Be a competent franchise. 

- - - 

Or just trade all the good players and start over with “Jerry Forton” manning the transformation, or you know, whatever. 

You're right and I wasn't really responding to the conversation in the thread. I was just expressing my concern.

A year ago I had no doubt in my mind dat Dahlin and Eichel comprised the necessary core building blocks around which any halfways competent GM should be able to build a competitive team and could be able to build a contender.

Now I do.

Edited by dudacek

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

You're right and I wasn't really responding to the conversation in the thread. I was just expressing my concern.

A year ago I had no doubt in my mind dat Dahlin and Eichel comprised the necessary core building blocks around which any halfways competent GM should be able to build a competitive team and should be able to build a contender.

Now I do.

On 3/18/2021 at 11:00 PM, dudacek said:

What I would do with the current roster:

Dahlin: pending RFA;  offer him six years, $30 million, sign him to a cheap bridge deal if he doesn’t take it. Consider offers, but unless somebody knocks your socks off, make it a priority to sign a coach and a partner to maximize his potential.

Fair enough.

Does the second quoted bit still represent your position on Dahlin or has it shifted? It's pretty much word for word what I would do. 

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Fair enough.

Does the second quoted bit still represent your position on Dahlin or has it shifted? It's pretty much word for word what I would do. 

Mind hasn't changed at all. The ability is there and he is a good kid.

I do not think he will bust; he's clearly already proven he won't.

Ryan Murray is a competent NHL defenceman. Same with Adam Larsson. I mean even Greg Joly played 350-plus NHL games.

I worry about his ceiling, especially with our track record on development.

• Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Thorny said:

To be fair... has anyone seen the both of you in the same room?

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Pronger, Heddman, Chara - all started slow but none of them were ever dis bad in any one season, let alone season 3.  Of course none played on the worst team in the league, and part of possibly the worst season of any “modern” team.  Dahlin has lots of reasons to be struggling (coaching, pandemic, linemates) but the biggest is his own lack of intensity and confidence.   

Hall agreeing to a trade is good.  Otherwise we have our next Leino/Earhart/Okposo/Skinner.  I would take anything for him. He is not helping dis team.  

I think I’m at the point of just throwing dis season out.  I don’t think anything redeeming can be gained from it.  Just hit reset.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

Did anyone else see after the game where Hall basically said he absolutely wants to be traded? I don’t see anyone discussing it. Probably because it doesn’t really matter. Imagine spending all dat money on a Hall jersey before the season...

We would have to accept some salary, or most of it, but ya, trade him for something. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.