Sabres reportedly want 4 firsts as starting point for Eichel trade discussions

matter2003

1 hour ago, Skibum said:

Once Drury and Briere were gone, Darcy should have realized that the team was kneecapped and could not be returned to contender status with Vanek as the centerpiece. In that context, a rebuild was the better option, and four #1 picks would have been a golden opportunity to do so. Signing Vanek's offer sheet was an emotional "statement" move and a huge mistake. Darcy was trying to make up for the failed strategy of not negotiating with Briere and Drury during the season. 

Hindsight also strongly suggests that retaining Vanek was not the best option. It simply did not work out, at all. 

What I wouldn't give for Darcy to still be running the show as GM here...

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Dude needs some grammar lessons.

Hockey, too. Eichel a top-three player in the world?

Interesting note from the media source: the decision will not be made by the general manager. Wonderful.

Yeah that was a little eye brow raising. I’ve advocated for Jack since the start but top 3?  

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Interesting note from the media source: the decision will not be made by the general manager. Wonderful.

Specifically what is said is this

""They're not sure exactly what they're going to do — are they going to trade him or not — because this is not only a GM decision, the owner is going to make the final decision and Jack is really close to ownership, so that is part of the equation.""

5 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Looks like they would move Eichel if the price is right...also says Eichel wants to stay in Buffalo just doesn't want to be part of an endless rebuild that goes nowhere...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nhl-rumors-sabres-want-4-first-round-picks-for-jack-eichel-181516797.html

They don't say it is 4 firsts though... 

"But what I've been told is this: If they trade him, what they really want is four pieces that are first-round picks, or players that are playing if not in the NHL or elsewhere in the NCAA that are first-round picks that are having success. ... They want young players, maybe some playing in the NHL right now, that were first-round picks but if they're not in the NHL they need to be"

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Specifically what is said is this

""They're not sure exactly what they're going to do — are they going to trade him or not — because this is not only a GM decision, the owner is going to make the final decision and Jack is really close to ownership, so that is part of the equation.""

Like I said, the GM will not make the decision. At least according to whomever we're quoting here.

Edited by PASabreFan

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Looks like they would move Eichel if the price is right...also says Eichel wants to stay in Buffalo just doesn't want to be part of an endless rebuild that goes nowhere...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nhl-rumors-sabres-want-4-first-round-picks-for-jack-eichel-181516797.html

This article is getting a lot of run because it got on the yahoo main page.  Really the whole article is the authors editorializing of a 2 min segment on SportsNet.  If you listen to the segment, you actually get a better understanding than reading through all of this writer’s personal opinions on the topic.

Link to 2min audio:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/590/writers-bloc/will-cost-team-extract-jack-eichel-sabres/

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Like I said, the GM will not make the decision. At least according to whomever we're quoting here.

I don’t think any organization is trading their captain and face of the franchise without getting approval from ownership.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

This article is getting a lot of run because it got on the yahoo main page.  Really the whole article is the authors editorializing of a 2 min segment on SportsNet.  If you listen to the segment, you actually get a better understanding than reading through all of this writer’s personal opinions on the topic.

Link to 2min audio:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/590/writers-bloc/will-cost-team-extract-jack-eichel-sabres/

Awww, you used than correctly.  Be still my beating heart.  No one ever gets it right.  Like not one poster.  Ever.  Drives me nuts. 

Edited by inkman
  • Thanks (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, inkman said:

Yeah that was a little eye brow raising. I’ve advocated for Jack since the start but top 3?  

It does say “when he’s on”, so if he meant it really liberally like “over a given stretch” id understand it. Otherwise no he’s not top 3. There have been months where he’s been arguably the best player in the world (his league leading points streak last year) (and it takes a special player to do that) but it’s been over a stretch not even a season. 

Edited by Thorny

10 minutes ago, inkman said:

Awww, you used than correctly.  Be still my beating heart.  No one ever gets it right.  Like not one poster.  Ever.  Drives me nuts. 

I always do 

Edited by Thorny
Usually by edit

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

THis is the third time a version of this has been posted and the third time it has been misinterpreted.

I give up.

How? At least for myself I was posting why I personally need the “firsts” to present themselves as current players, I understand the rumour isn’t necessarily stipulating it’s gotta be picks. 

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

How? At least for myself I was posting why I personally need the “firsts” to present themselves as current players, I understand the rumour isn’t necessarily stipulating it’s gotta be picks. 

I count 5 posts in this thread that are in full belief that this rumor states that 4 firsts means 4 picks in some future drafts' first rounds, because that is a reasonable interpretation from the garbage article's title. 

You aren't one of them, but that belief has crept into and even driven some of the 3 times this forum has talked about this rumor

• Like (+1) 1

Just my 2 cents...I am so disgusted by what the Pegula's have done to this franchise, I'm not sure I really care what the next move is(big or small).  You have a GM with no experience at the NHL level, you have a gutted FO hockey staff, and owners who publicly stated "they know more than the fans".

Unless Adams gets some experienced help, it's probably a risky choice to put the future of the franchise in his hands, but what is the alternative, draft with a subpar and minimal scouting staff, make some minor changes every year, and keep the same core...Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Risto & Dahlin?

I have serious dislike for Terry & Kim right about now.  Stop being so proud of your beloved Buffalo Bills, and take the correct steps to FIX THE SABRES!

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

How?

This is how the internet works.

5 hours ago, matter2003 said:

No source actually says they have decided to move Eichel if the price is right. The lead of the story actually says the opposite

No source actually says Eichel wants to stay. That's the writer's opinion.

5 hours ago, carpandean said:

Knowing the Sabres, the picks would be lottery-protected.  Then, when they finally get to draft someone in 2024, they'd reach for a player everyone else had rightfully rated in the second round.

No source says they want actual picks. The article's only source actually says they are looking for players who were recent high picks and have that value.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Don't want to get bogged down in the semantics of this, but any implication that the Pegulas are steering is not supported by the article.

2 hours ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

4 firsts are a start, but that doesn't start paying dividends until 3-4 years out (unless KA is secretly the savviest GM out there and can quickly flip those for players)

Is there a reasonable trade out there for Eichel that actually makes this team better next season?  Patrick Kane and 4 1sts from Chicago might do it.  Adds similar contract, productive player, and a boat load of assets for the Sabres and gives Chicago their next Patty Kane today while not having to wait on their 1st round picks to develop.   

No source says they want actual picks.

1 hour ago, Mike Honcho said:

I think honestly if the sabres are going to trade someone like jack, they would be better off getting someone of like quality in return. 

4 Picks is silly if they are all busts. Unless there is a guaranteed #1 pick in there

Again, no source says they want actual picks.

What the article says is "a source" told Renaud Lavoie (a well-sourced French-Canadian hockey reporter) that GMs have been talking about Eichel and have been told that if they are seriously interested they need to come to the table with an offer that includes four significant young assets. That's it.

Unfortunately we can’t trust our scouting dept to make the right picks anyhow. Honestly at this point no one is untouchable IMO, including Jack. But the structure has to be there and drafting is and has been a structural problem for us this last decade or so. In theory though I’m all for going full scorched earth. Also Jack deserves better than this, he is and will waste his career here. 

Edited by I-90 W
Typo

50 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Just my 2 cents...I am so disgusted by what the Pegula's have done to this franchise, I'm not sure I really care what the next move is(big or small).  You have a GM with no experience at the NHL level, you have a gutted FO hockey staff, and owners who publicly stated "they know more than the fans".

Unless Adams gets some experienced help, it's probably a risky choice to put the future of the franchise in his hands, but what is the alternative, draft with a subpar and minimal scouting staff, make some minor changes every year, and keep the same core...Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Risto & Dahlin?

I have serious dislike for Terry & Kim right about now.  Stop being so proud of your beloved Buffalo Bills, and take the correct steps to FIX THE SABRES!

Couldn’t agree more, and as someone who doesn’t even follow the Bills, wish they never bought them. Feel like the Sabres are second fiddle now to them. 

1 minute ago, I-90 W said:

Couldn’t agree more, and as someone who doesn’t even follow the Bills, wish they never bought them. Feel like the Sabres are second fiddle now to them. 

Nnot Bills fault, they have a competent GM that the Pegs have backed off and let make decisions.  Sabres have spent money, just not wisely.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, matter2003 said:

If we actually have a clearly stated negotiation platform for Eichel, they are a lot further into the process of moving him than I thought they were.

That's not a good sign.

the only teams that would step up and  actually make a trade proposal is a team like Boston and there is absolutely no way I want 4 1st round picks when they will be anywhere from 20 to 27 or 28 overall where you get basically a "prospect" that may or may not work out. The only way this could ever work is if we get 4 actual players who are playing in the NHL and are clearly good. I would also say no to prospects that are playing somewhere in the minors who are "highly touted"...Tage was highly touted and we do not need anymore of players like him. We got burned in the ROR trade and even the EK trade and I am so afraid we will just get burned again. I sure wish we could just get someone to run this disaster who actually knew what they were doing...

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

the only teams that would step up and  actually make a trade proposal is a team like Boston and there is absolutely no way I want 4 1st round picks when they will be anywhere from 20 to 27 or 28 overall where you get basically a "prospect" that may or may not work out. The only way this could ever work is if we get 4 actual players who are playing in the NHL and are clearly good. I would also say no to prospects that are playing somewhere in the minors who are "highly touted"...Tage was highly touted and we do not need anymore of players like him. We got burned in the ROR trade and even the EK trade and I am so afraid we will just get burned again. I sure wish we could just get someone to run this disaster who actually knew what they were doing...

I think the problem with the Bruins is that they don’t really have the assets to get it done.  Pasternak or MacAvoy are going to have to be the centerpiece.  Studnick (sp) looks like a decent second piece but after that.  🤷‍♂️ Draft picks I guess.   They really don’t seem like the team ready for a deal.  

The Rags OTOH looked poised and an ideal match.  As does LA.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.