Sabres reportedly want 4 firsts as starting point for Eichel trade discussions

matter2003

2 hours ago, Curt said:

I don’t think any organization is trading their captain and face of the franchise without getting approval from ownership.

You can't let facts, intelligence, and common sense get in the way of an agenda.  You obviously don't know any politicians.

41 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I like how this nothingburger of a story has ppl losing their minds. That's better than watching Sabres hockey right now. 

Love him or hate him, Jack gets everyones attention and gets Jacked up about it.

Edited by Figster

47 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I like how this nothingburger of a story has ppl losing their minds. That's better than watching Sabres hockey right now. 

I know, lol.  I think just because it is on the Yahoo news page and it states an actual asking price.

56 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It's almost like people not involved in the other conversations wanted to talk about this and didn't realize some people would view the poorly written click bait as something substantive enough to warrant an arbitrary limitation of the discussions scope.  Weird.

@Kruppstahl got the only real substance of this article: If Adams has actually talked price with his peers, that is an indication there is a willingness to at least consider offers. The next step is if a GM is actually willing to step up and make an offer based on those parameters.

Matthew Tkachuk, Jacob Pelletier, Connor Zary and Sean Monahan is something you have to consider. Logan Brown, Ridley Greig, Jacob Bernard-Docker and Colin White is not.

Edited by dudacek

6 hours ago, inkman said:

So you were prepared to lose Drury, Briere and Vanek in one offseason? 

After we lost Drury and Briere it didn’t matter, this team needed the restart, we weren’t gonna replace those 2 centers with what we had, and over a decade later we still have not. Lol. This team is abysmal and depressing, and that day was the start of it all.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Sabre fan said:

the only teams that would step up and  actually make a trade proposal is a team like Boston and there is absolutely no way I want 4 1st round picks when they will be anywhere from 20 to 27 or 28 overall where you get basically a "prospect" that may or may not work out. The only way this could ever work is if we get 4 actual players who are playing in the NHL and are clearly good. I would also say no to prospects that are playing somewhere in the minors who are "highly touted"...Tage was highly touted and we do not need anymore of players like him. We got burned in the ROR trade and even the EK trade and I am so afraid we will just get burned again. I sure wish we could just get someone to run this disaster who actually knew what they were doing...

Need to get Darcy "fleece" Regier back as the GM...

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Ice Cold said:

In 2007, Vanek was 23 years old, and coming off an 82 point season, where he scored 40 goals and led the entire league in +/-.   I can't really recall, there may have been a few fans back then, who may have preferred the 4 first round picks, maybe.  I think the majority of fans, not to mention Sabres brass, believed that with or without Drury and Briere, keeping Vanek was a sure bet.

Also, keep in mind that Edmonton had three picks in the first round in the 2007 draft.  Those were picks 6, 15, and 21.  In 2008 they had pick 22.  I'm assuming it would be those four picks we'd have got for Vanek.  Maybe we could have drafted Sam Gagne, and Jordan Eberle, like the Oilers ended up doing.  It wouldn't have been fair return for Vanek, in my opinion.

As for Eichel, I don't think that ownership would depart with their best friend ever on the team - the one guy they can call up to get the most important perspective on what's happening in practices and behind the bench.  No other player has that type of relationship with the owners, and I doubt that any coach or GM will ever be valued as highly.  It's not a healthy relationship, but it's a bond that will never be severed by the Pegula's, it seems to me. 

The rule at the time was 4 1st round picks in the following 4 drafts, so it would have been mandatory that the return paid out over 4 years.  EDM did NOT have the option of choosing other 1st round picks to give.  It had to be the next 4 1st rounders that are given out based on where EDM finished in the standings the following 4 seasons.

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Says the poster who has had numerous meltdowns/tantrums during his time here over the years.  Great comic relief!  😂😂

12 hours ago, Thorny said:

Shouldn’t trade him. 

If we do, it’s gotta be mostly current players, young players, we need a high level of certainty.

I’m don’t think I’d hypothetically trade Eichel for Nylander, Mittelstadt, Dahlin, and Cozens right now. And that’s who we picked at the top of the draft - where the picks wouldn’t be. 

Never mind the fact that we’d be “getting” what those assets appear as now, in 5, 4, 3, and 2 years from now respectively. 

If a team literally offered 4 firsts, I’d immediately hang up. Gotta be players. 

I agree.  It would be very shortsighted to want past and future 1st round picks.  You can do this for the NFL or NBA but not the NHL.  

Just off the top of my head is the 2014 draft.  Sabres take Reinhardt 2nd and jury still out if he has justified that pick. Taken 3rd was Draisitl, who’s a star.  Taken 4th was the other Sam, Sam Bennet, who has been a disappointment, as has Michael Dal Colle, taken 5th.  Then, late in that 1st round, Pasternak was taken 25th.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Pull up a chair and let me tell you the story of Zachary Senyshyn and Matthew Barzal...

It’s still my favorite thing that the Bruins passed on Barzal THREE STRAIGHT TIMES. Not to mention Kyle Connor... Barzal should’ve been the third pick in that draft (which I said then, too).

8 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

You can't let facts, intelligence, and common sense get in the way of an agenda.  You obviously don't know any politicians.

Are you comfortable with Terry and Kim deciding whether Eichel should be traded? Because that's what the reporter is suggesting. Not that the owners would give approval after the GENERAL MANAGER made the decision, got a deal and made a compelling case to them.

Edited by PASabreFan

52 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Are you comfortable with Terry and Kim deciding whether Eichel should be traded? Because that's what the reporter is suggesting. Not that the owners would give approval after the GENERAL MANAGER made the decision, got a deal and made a compelling case to them.

That's not even what the blogger said the French guy said in his second language that his source said he was told by whatever Sabres official he talked to.

That's assuming the French guy's source actually got his info directly from a Sabres source, which certainly isn't a sure thing.

56 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Your question is a non-sequitur.  The point was that Eichel is the face of the franchise and its best player.  T&KP will automatically have a say.

Your reasoning is also a non-sequitur.  If the GM does his best to make the best trade and the ownership says what it will, the GM can follow orders or quit.

You are writing as if Pegula is the only Sabres owner to do this.  That is why Gil Perreault did not win a Cup with Danny Gare in Edmonton.  It is why Chris Drury was an FA on Black Sunday.  It is why Mike Peca wasn't on the team in 2001 and why Hasek wanted out.

IMHO, all these were at least as bad as the worst thing which T&KP's influence in Eichel's negotiations could be.  I see no reason why I should expect something different from the Pegulas.  I CAN hope for something better; whether I get it or not is another matter.

And maybe they are persuaded. I see no reason to assume that they won't be persuaded if KA makes a good case.  And maybe it will be like letting Satan and Zhitnik go for zilch while getting Teppo Numminen and Toni Lydman.

15 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I was. Get Edmonton's four first rounders, use the money saved from Vanek to sign some new players and go forward from there. 

And on top of that the Sabres would have been so bad without Vanek that their OWN 1st round picks could have been very high and produced better players.

9 hours ago, Sabre fan said:

the only teams that would step up and  actually make a trade proposal is a team like Boston and there is absolutely no way I want 4 1st round picks when they will be anywhere from 20 to 27 or 28 overall where you get basically a "prospect" that may or may not work out. The only way this could ever work is if we get 4 actual players who are playing in the NHL and are clearly good. I would also say no to prospects that are playing somewhere in the minors who are "highly touted"...Tage was highly touted and we do not need anymore of players like him. We got burned in the ROR trade and even the EK trade and I am so afraid we will just get burned again. I sure wish we could just get someone to run this disaster who actually knew what they were doing...

They don't have to keep or use those picks in the draft. They can use them as part of a deal to move up for someone or as part of a deal to obtain other more established players. If a team is willing to give up 4 1st for a guy who has been good, but not really a game changer/leader who will carry the team it would peak my interest.

Just now, Ruff Around The Edges said:

And on top of that the Sabres would have been so bad without Vanek that their OWN 1st round picks could have been very high and produced better players.

Would it have made a huge difference? Vanek was good, but I always found him to be just a very good player, but not a game changer or leader. He was one of those players that is great as a supplementary piece to your roster, but not as your top guy....

5 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Would it have made a huge difference? Vanek was good, but I always found him to be just a very good player, but not a game changer or leader. He was one of those players that is great as a supplementary piece to your roster, but not as your top guy....

Thats true and its really hard to say what could have been, but I do remember the groans of the Sabre fan base back then about the Sabres 'just missing the playoffs' and being mediocre under Darcy: I say then when the Sabres lost Briere and Drury on that terrible day, it might of been better to nuke the entire team in a sense and start anew.

2 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Thats true and its really hard to say what could have been, but I do remember the groans of the Sabre fan base back then about the Sabres 'just missing the playoffs' and being mediocre under Darcy: I say then when the Sabres lost Briere and Drury on that terrible day, it might of been better to nuke the entire team in a sense and start anew.

Its sad that we are at a point where those would become 'Glory Days' now compared to then when people were so spoiled by having a consistent playoff team that just making it wasn't good enough anymore.......

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

Its sad that we are at a point where those would become 'Glory Days' now compared to then when people were so spoiled by having a consistent playoff team that just making it wasn't good enough anymore.......

Im on your side there, I have said a few times this year 'I miss Darcy Regier' LOL

14 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

It's certainly helped this team.

Just now, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Im on your side there, I have said a few times this year 'I miss Darcy Regier' LOL

*whispers* I miss Tim Murray. He never should've been fired. He was enough of an ***** to do things without the Pegulas.

Well if they have decided to rebuild, like many of us are advocating, then they have to trade Eichel as it's clear he does not want to lead a rebuild so the equivalent of 4 firsts is like the old offer sheet value so why not? It's either that or keep tweaking round the same core and the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results right?

Remember if you remove his salary you have a lot of money for a couple solid free agents to add to that pile of picks. Potentially 6 starting players in total. Maybe a Nick Foligno as an example. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.