Sabres reportedly want 4 firsts as starting point for Eichel trade discussions

matter2003

Shouldn’t trade him. 

If we do, it’s gotta be mostly current players, young players, we need a high level of certainty.

I’m don’t think I’d hypothetically trade Eichel for Nylander, Mittelstadt, Dahlin, and Cozens right now. And that’s who we picked at the top of the draft - where the picks wouldn’t be. 

Never mind the fact that we’d be “getting” what those assets appear as now, in 5, 4, 3, and 2 years from now respectively. 

If a team literally offered 4 firsts, I’d immediately hang up. Gotta be players. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, nucci said:

That's just a rumor from a writer. 

That’s the fun of speculation and the rumor mill.  You just get to make stuff up and it somehow constitutes a rumor.  The credibility of a writer quoting a TV personality who has an unnamed source sounds legit to me!  Feeling Dumb Jim Carrey GIF

• Like (+1) 1

I also heard that Adams along with the 4 firsts, wants clown shoes, clown wig, A red rubber nose that makes noise when you honk it, and Secret Service level security for the rest of his tenure while in Buffalo.  hey this is just speculation… That’s what I heard.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, carpandean said:

Knowing the Sabres, the picks would be lottery-protected.  Then, when they finally get to draft someone in 2024, they'd reach for a player everyone else had rightfully rated in the second round.

Pull up a chair and let me tell you the story of Zachary Senyshyn and Matthew Barzal...

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, inkman said:

So you were prepared to lose Drury, Briere and Vanek in one offseason? 

Once Drury and Briere were gone, Darcy should have realized that the team was kneecapped and could not be returned to contender status with Vanek as the centerpiece. In that context, a rebuild was the better option, and four #1 picks would have been a golden opportunity to do so. Signing Vanek's offer sheet was an emotional "statement" move and a huge mistake. Darcy was trying to make up for the failed strategy of not negotiating with Briere and Drury during the season. 

Hindsight also strongly suggests that retaining Vanek was not the best option. It simply did not work out, at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

Rarely can you win when trading a franchise-foundational piece. The days of trading Eric Lindros and getting back picks to build a Stanley Cup winning Colorado Avs team are long gone. Even if you could you'd have to have faith the Sabres could turn those picks into talented prospects that they could properly develop and the Sabres tend to ruin their young stars.

34 minutes ago, Skibum said:

Once Drury and Briere were gone, Darcy should have realized that the team was kneecapped and could not be returned to contender status with Vanek as the centerpiece. In that context, a rebuild was the better option, and four #1 picks would have been a golden opportunity to do so. Signing Vanek's offer sheet was an emotional "statement" move and a huge mistake. Darcy was trying to make up for the failed strategy of not negotiating with Briere and Drury during the season. 

Hindsight also strongly suggests that retaining Vanek was not the best option. It simply did not work out, at all. 

They at least had Roy, Pominville, Connolly, Miller, Stafford - even guys like Hecht.  They were competitive out there until they dismantled this group.

The problem is they haven't had a remotely competitive team since Miller was between the pipes, and vanek was the top goal scorer. 

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Dude needs some grammar lessons.

Hockey, too. Eichel a top-three player in the world?

Interesting note from the media source: the decision will not be made by the general manager. Wonderful.

That was the other problem I had with this article yesterday. At Jack's peak, I saw maybe the 7th best center in the league, while there are 5 other positions 

I'm not opening it again because it's junk, but didn't they imply that it didn't just mean 4 picks, but also could include first round type prospects or players that have hit heights you'd expect from first rounders? 

4 firsts are a start, but that doesn't start paying dividends until 3-4 years out (unless KA is secretly the savviest GM out there and can quickly flip those for players)

Is there a reasonable trade out there for Eichel that actually makes this team better next season?  Patrick Kane and 4 1sts from Chicago might do it.  Adds similar contract, productive player, and a boat load of assets for the Sabres and gives Chicago their next Patty Kane today while not having to wait on their 1st round picks to develop.   

• Like (+1) 1

I think honestly if the sabres are going to trade someone like jack, they would be better off getting someone of like quality in return. 

4 Picks is silly if they are all busts. Unless there is a guaranteed #1 pick in there

12 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Guys the segment does not say 4 picks

It’s still an interesting hypothetical

19 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

4 firsts are a start, but that doesn't start paying dividends until 3-4 years out (unless KA is secretly the savviest GM out there and can quickly flip those for players)

Is there a reasonable trade out there for Eichel that actually makes this team better next season?  Patrick Kane and 4 1sts from Chicago might do it.  Adds similar contract, productive player, and a boat load of assets for the Sabres and gives Chicago their next Patty Kane today while not having to wait on their 1st round picks to develop.   

Lost me at Kane but agree with the theory up until that 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.