Scouting Department Changes Announced

Brawndo

• Brawndo changed the title to Scouting Department Changes Announced
5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Promoting from a scouting department that already sucks, great move 

How do we know the 3 guys currently here suck?  Seriously.  They have had one draft and I like the 1st two guys.  On the letterhead it list only one pro scout.  If we want to argue he stinks, I'm ok with that, but asking 7 guys to do the work of 15 is a little much no matter how competent.  

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

So they had their most trusted amateur scout manning the college ranks..

This shuffling seems good, "Scouting" is now divided into "Pro" and "Amateur", with the soon to be added staff filling out the presumably more detailed ranks below

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How do we know the 3 guys currently here suck?  Seriously.  They have had one draft and I like the 1st two guys.  On the letterhead it list only one pro scout.  If we want to argue he stinks, I'm ok with that, but asking 7 guys to do the work of 15 is a little much no matter how competent.  

Jerry Forton has been with the Sabres since 2013-14. He was an Asst Coach his first year, a scout for the 2014-15 Season. 

He was promoted to Asst Director of Scouting for the 2016 and 2017 Drafts. 😬

Then he moved to Director of Collegiate Scouting until now. 

So He survived Botterill axing GMTM’s Staff and the Great Purge of June 2020.

How do Forton manage do this? He has Most Favored Status from Pegula. 

Crowe has three years experience as a Pro Scout so he is back where he belongs. 

Jason Nightengale who mentioned he revamped the Sabres Draft List after Botterill’s Staff was fired. The Player who Botterill would have drafted at 8th Overall was Marco Rossi.  Quinn is a nice player, but His Metrics are among the worst on the Amerks.  Now compare this to @LGR4GMFavorite Seth Jarvis, who dominated the AHL before he returned to the WHL. 

Quinn should be a very good player for the Sabres, but I have a feeling that Rossi(assuming he recovers from Covid) Lundell and Jarvis will have more productive careers.

Elliotte Friedman was on the Instigators this AM and was asked about reorganization of the Front Office. He mentioned Forton’s Promotion and that someone mentioned to him the Sabres need to find people who love the team or have a strong connection to the team. He mentioned Dudley and Scott Luce from Vegas. They probably won’t be available until after the season, but they would be a hell of a lot more exciting than Forton and Crowe.

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Jerry Forton has been with the Sabres since 2013-14. He was an Asst Coach his first year, a scout for the 2014-15 Season. 

How do Forton manage do this? He has Most Favored Status from Pegula. 

Crowe has three years experience as a Pro Scout so he is back where he belongs. 

Jason Nightengale who mentioned he revamped the Sabres Draft List after Botterill’s Staff was fired. The Player who Botterill would have drafted at 8th Overall was Marco Rossi.  Quinn is a nice player, but His Metrics are among the worst on the Amerks.  Now compare this to @LGR4GMFavorite Seth Jarvis, who dominated the AHL before he returned to the WHL. 

Quinn should be a very good player for the Sabres, but I have a feeling that Rossi(assuming he recovers from Covid) Lundell and Jarvis will have more productive careers.

Elliotte Friedman was on the Instigators this AM and was asked about reorganization of the Front Office. He mentioned Forton’s Promotion and that someone mentioned to him the Sabres need to find people who love the team or have a strong connection to the team. He mentioned Dudley and Scott Luce from Vegas. They probably won’t be available until after the season, but they would be a hell of a lot more exciting than Forton and Crowe.

I think nightingale might be an idiot. 

Actually yes. I'd fire nightingale and bring in a new director of analytics. Nightingale helped build this dumpster so he can be buried in its burning ashes.

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think nightingale might be an idiot. 

Actually yes. I'd fire nightingale and bring in a new director of analytics. Nightingale helped build this dumpster so he can be buried in its burning ashes.

What if Nightgown has been telling those in charge about the analytics, but they’ve been ignoring them?

6 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

What if Nightgown has been telling those in charge about the analytics, but they’ve been ignoring them?

He convinced them of Quinn over Rossi... he's telling them dumb *****. 

6 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Also still fire him. He clearly can't build a persuasive argument if he's being ignored. He clearly backs down if he's being ignored and hasn't been fired. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/23/2021 at 6:54 PM, HOF Wingman said:

If my memory serves me, we once had a scouting department that was the envy of the league. Then Golisano and Quinn decided we could reduce expenses by gutting the scouting department by going to video scouting. A number of scouts went out the door including Luce, Carriere, Benning, etc. that brought in many foundational pieces. If you ask me, that is when this mess started. Now can we get out of it and hire the best Personnel people available to build a championship contender? The question of the day. This is where we should be putting our resources. The most important people in your organization are Personnel people. 

We had good success with Golisano, Quinn, Regier and Ruff, maybe they weren't perfect, but they gave us some great hockey. They will be the last people I crap on in regards to this franchise.

Didn't Pegula say something about there being no salary cap with regards to scouting? 

I think it comes down to the fact that Pegula has yet to hire a quality GM, after firing one of the most productive ones we ever had.

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He convinced them of Quinn over Rossi... he's telling them dumb *****. 

Also still fire him. He clearly can't build a persuasive argument if he's being ignored. He clearly backs down if he's being ignored and hasn't been fired. 

Cannot disagree.

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

4BB2D3B7-F04D-46BF-9AA9-B72DA6B7CCBF.jpeg

I suppose confirmation that they do intend to oversee junior at all is a good thing lol 

Does "running the draft table" mean he has more influence on the draft than Adams?

@Brawndo's take on Forton has me a bit worried, though 

Edited by Thorny

10 hours ago, klos1963 said:

We had good success with Golisano, Quinn, Regier and Ruff, maybe they weren't perfect, but they gave us some great hockey. They will be the last people I crap on in regards to this franchise.

Didn't Pegula say something about there being no salary cap with regards to scouting? 

I think it comes down to the fact that Pegula has yet to hire a quality GM, after firing one of the most productive ones we ever had.

I’ve said it before, Darcy was an absolute genius compared to the clown show. I’d take him back at this point. He got us to the conference finals 3 times and Cup finals once. At least we were competitive. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Brawndo said:

How do Forton manage do dis? He has Most Favored Status from Pegula. 

So is he the reason dat they picked Oscari Laaksonen over David Farrance in the 3rd round? 

Crowe ran last year's draft.

Sounds like Adams has come to the proper conclusion dat one man can't oversee both the amateur and pro scouting departments.

Also sounds like he handed the gig to the most senior guy in-house (it was him or Kevin Devine) rather than hunt for the most qualified person for the job.

Forton struck me more as a schmoozer than a bird-dog even before @brawndo offered more of his excellent info.

As always, I've got limited insight and will judge him on results. But dis is not promising.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.