Ullmark back at practice

Thorny

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Good. Someone different to blame.

I've never seen someone so consistently strawman a topic as you do goalies 

We all like Ullmark. 

There is a 20 point gap in their save percentages. by point, I mean hundredths 

This is the same gap that separates the best goalie in the NHL from the 25th best goalie in the NHL. 

It's the same gap that separates the 13th best goalie in the NHL from the 40th. Ullmark is 18th in save percentage, Carter is 57th behind the same team. This would imply that Carter is the 4th worst backup in the league, which is jarring since his starter is at least capable of average play. Is it wrong for us to want better from the backup position, when our starter is so injury prone and so the backup is guaranteed siginifcant stretches of hockey?

• Like (+1) 2

First, I want to apologize to Hutton, ive said on Multiple occasions that he has been the worst goalie in the league over the last year and a half but I did some research and found out that Jimmy Howard has actually been worse.  

Since Hutton had the hot streak in early Oct 2019 here are the stat lines"

Jimmy Howard 22GS 1W 21L .878Sv%  4.29GAA

Carter Hutton   38GS 7W 29L  .886Sv% 3.54GAA

Of course Howard was so bad last season, he decided to retire...Unfortunately cant say the same for Hutton.

As for the Sabres goalies on a whole 

Ullmark 11 Decisions   12points

Rest of them:   19 Decisions   1 WIN!  4 points total!!!   

Thats mind-blowing!   Maybe gives me hope for a season when the backup isn't brutal?  

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I've never seen someone so consistently strawman a topic as you do goalies 

We all like Ullmark. 

There is a 20 point gap in their save percentages. by point, I mean hundredths 

This is the same gap that separates the best goalie in the NHL from the 25th best goalie in the NHL. 

It's the same gap that separates the 13th best goalie in the NHL from the 40th. Ullmark is 18th in save percentage, Carter is 57th behind the same team. This would imply that Carter is the 4th worst backup in the league, which is jarring since his starter is at least capable of average play. Is it wrong for us to want better from the backup position, when our starter is so injury prone and so the backup is guaranteed siginifcant stretches of hockey?

I get that way because goaltending is the first thing anyone here blames when a goal goes in.  It could be a five-on-oh with every Sabre running into each other ala Keystone Cops and some one will post "(goalie) gotta make that save."

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I get that way because goaltending is the first thing anyone here blames when a goal goes in.  It could be a five-on-oh with every Sabre running into each other ala Keystone Cops and some one will post "(goalie) gotta make that save."

For me personally, I like for, nay, expect my goalie to more often than not give my team a chance to win 1-0.

I grew up with Hasek and will accept nothing less. Bare minimum. 

Hasek or bust. 

29 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

One point of order, created only because of the coincidence of Hutton being injured and then Ullmark practicing for the first time the very next morning:

I really hope they're not rushing Ullmark back into action before he's ready.

I share the sentiment- my understanding, though, is that the decision lies more with the player & the physician(s)

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

1) You, on the other hand, have never agreed with a poster who said "the goalie needs to save that," let alone posted that yourself.

2) If you think Sabrespace doesn't frequently blame the skaters you have to have either a reading comprehension problem, or 97 per cent of the posters here on ignore.

Edited by dudacek

16 minutes ago, Thorny said:

For me personally, I like for, nay, expect my goalie to more often than not give my team a chance to win 1-0.

I grew up with Hasek and will accept nothing less. Bare minimum. 

Hasek or bust. 

You are talking about the greatest goaltender of all time.  (And I can get stats going back to post WWI to prove it!)  Much as I wish we could do that, it's a bit like expecting your top line to be Perreault-Gretzky-LaFleur from the 1981 Canada Cup with your top defence pairing being Orr-Park from the training camp of the 1972 Summit Series.

I am more than fine with merely very good goaltending with broad, effective players throughout the line-up.  No one has to be an all-star, a Selke candidate, or whatever.

20 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

You are talking about the greatest goaltender of all time.  (And I can get stats going back to post WWI to prove it!)  Much as I wish we could do that, it's a bit like expecting your top line to be Perreault-Gretzky-LaFleur from the 1981 Canada Cup with your top defence pairing being Orr-Park from the training camp of the 1972 Summit Series.

I am more than fine with merely very good goaltending with broad, effective players throughout the line-up.  No one has to be an all-star, a Selke candidate, or whatever.

Was kidding 

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

Its a good price we pay for being old, we got to experience Dom!

34 ain’t old 

32 minutes ago, dudacek said:

1) You, on the other hand, have ever agreed with a poster who said "the goalie needs to save that," let alone posted that yourself.

2) If you think Sabrespace doesn't frequently blame the skaters you have to have either a reading comprehension problem, or 97 per cent of the posters here on ignore.

I have pinned goals on goalies in game threads. But it usually goes unnoticed. I just bristle at how often goalies get blamed. The expectations are totally unrealistic. Meanwhile the skaters rarely get blamed for their part. 

Tokarski made 35 saves last night. 35! Kincaid made 16. Who was the better goalie?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.