Fixing the Defense - Maybe not as easy as you think

GASabresIUFAN

14 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’ve read reports that agree with you.  However If his skating was good enough he’d have already been in the NHL for more then 8 games.  He has been the shutdown guy in the AHL for the two prior seasons.  That alone should have warranted more then just a cup of coffee in the NHL to a defensively challenged team like ours, but it didn’t.  There is something wrong with his game that is holding him back.  The only thing I can think of for a guy who is physical, positionally sound, and strong in his own zone, is his skating.

You're talking about a team that has the leading scorer of the Finnish league buried in Rochester while the NHL team has no centers and can't score. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You're talking about a team that has the leading scorer of the Finnish league buried in Rochester while the NHL team has no centers and can't score. 

I agree R2 should be in the NHL now.  I hope I'm wrong about Borgen's skating.  It would be great if he becomes Dahlin's partner.  Our Dumoulin.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/24/2021 at 7:35 PM, dudacek said:

I just want to point out an issue with "trade a D-man so you don't lose him for nothing" in the expansion draft.

You enter the expansion draft with this as your D-core:

• Dahlin Risto
  • Bryson Jokiharju
  • Miller Borgen

You expose Miller and Risto and lose Risto and are left with this:

• Dahlin Borgen
  • Bryson Jokiharju
  • Miller

You trade Risto and expose Miller and Risto and lose Miller and are left with this:

• Dahlin Borgen
  • Bryson Jokiharju

Yes, you've got an extra pick, or an extra forward for Risto, but you have defence corps consisting of four players, with what, 400 NHL games combined?

That's a serious hole.

I did say I would take the next Smehlik.  That's way better than nothing or a pick.  I also go hunting for James Patrick, Darryl Shannon, Toni Lydman, and Teppo Numminen in FA.  I want some experienced, boring players back there who play defence intelligently.  That might turn Dahlin and Jokiharu around in a few seasons.

On 3/24/2021 at 5:29 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

The simplest way to protect Borgen, which I don't have a problem with, is to either trade Jokiharju for an exempt forward or D, or pay off Seattle to take someone else.

The simplest way to protect Borgen, is to protect him. Dare Vegas to take either Risto or Miller. That’s either 3.875 Million or 5.4 Million in extra cap space this offseason. Add that to 34.5 Million in space already available along with a hopefully expanded analytics department, a better team can be put on the ice. Jack, Olofsson, Cozens, Lazar, Risto, Miller, Bryson, Tage, Zemgus, Okposo and Eakin are signed for next season. With Sam, Borgen, Jokiharju, Dahlin and Mitts as RFAs. There is room to improve. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.