Jonas Johansson Traded to Colorado for 2021 6th Round Pick

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

He's only 25 and was an AHL all-star.    Goalies can take a long time to develop, he was on a nice trajectory I would've kept him around.  

I think that is very fair.  Ullmark took a similar development but the difference for me is that Ullmark always looked better in his NHL stints.

Ullmark as a rookie played 20 games and posted a 2.60 gaa with a .913 at 22. At 25 in 37 games he posted 3.11 and .905 and has improved in each year since and now 

JoJo isn't close to those numbers.  HIs NHL career save % is .890.  That simply not good enough.  He may get there, but UPL and Portillo are better prospects.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This trade clearly is bigger than just Johansson. There must be additional pieces that haven't been agreed upon yet otherwise holding him out of practice seems strange considering NO ONE knows the details of what would be a simple trade. 

I wonder if the COVID angle is really holding things up here, players need to be tested, do the Sabres need to quarantine again etc

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think that is very fair.  Ullmark took a similar development but the difference for me is that Ullmark always looked better in his NHL stints.

Ullmark as a rookie played 20 games and posted a 2.60 gaa with a .913 at 22. At 25 in 37 games he posted 3.11 and .905 and has improved in each year since and now 

JoJo isn't close to those numbers.  HIs NHL career save % is .890.  That simply not good enough.  He may get there, but UPL and Portillo are better prospects.

Portillo is quietly really good

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Jbot was forced to trade ROR and Portillo is good.  Wow! Are you ok? I'm worried.

How about JJ and Montour for a D partner for Dahlin?

I mean... Colorado does have a defender of interest.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, he's an RFA after this season and wasn't making much $$, so I agree with @pi2000 that it's far from clear as to why they unloaded him.

He will be a UFA this summer if he doesn’t hit a games played clause that he will not hit.

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think Granato neglected to add the word “yet”

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

He will be a UFA this summer if he doesn’t hit a games played clause that he will not hit.

OK -- I stand corrected.

Still, depending on how many starts he would need for them to keep his rights, it would seem like bad asset management not to give him that # of starts in order to keep his rights, given that this season is lost.

28 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I never want to be considered this unprofessional at my job.  I thought he was just kidding around because the kid is just breaking into the NHL.

Well, it is practice... and with the way our defense, team as as whole have been hanging our goalies out to dry... it's not entirely his fault. 

• Like (+1) 1

I thought Johansson looked more competent this year than he ever has in prior NHL work. I was terrified when Ullmark went down.

His shootout work isn't great, but he looked a lot better than Hutton at 5v5. Credit to Bales if anything they worked on somehow improved Johansson's trade value from nothing up to next-to-nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It's interesting to read elsewhere that some Avs fans are hoping it's Compher going the other way — he's an outsized contract they want to dump due to a bad season.

People think that adding Compher to one of their defencive prospects will nab them Eichel and Johansson plus some.

Good to see KA working the phones... JJ trade is notice to the league this is his team now... and the Sabres are dealing... More to come... Bigger names... Coach or no coach... my bet...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.