What current Sabres do you actually like?

dudacek

Very simple question based on an exchange @Curt and I had on another thread.

Part personality, part character, part talent, part performance: they are entertainers performing for our enjoyment.

Who gives you your money's worth?

For all our analyzing, it's not something we talk about much.

Edited by dudacek

I like Jack Eichel. A lot of things get projected onto him, helped along by his natural upright skating stance and how he can get down on himself and express that when he shoots the puck high and wide. But nothing I've ever read indicates he doesn't love the city, love us, and want nothing more than to win hockey games for us, even if he was ultimately the wrong guy to put the C on. Plus, we've heard lots of small stories along the way - the guy on the beach whose son recognized Jack, and Jack, who loves kids, spending a long time just talking to them, making the kid's day. Every story I've ever heard about the guy like this, away from the rink, was relentlessly positive - I think he's a good, smart guy with a good soul, and I'm grateful for the time and effort and enjoyment he's given me. 

I like Reinhart, though I don't think I'd be friends with him, if that makes sense. I've heard a couple things (friend's GF's friend has hung out with him before) that suggest he's, while not a bad person, just not someone I'd be interested in being around. On the ice though, I like him quite a bit and would keep him around. 

I like Risto, McCabe, Girgensons for the way they have battled for so long. Okposo is in this category as well, and he really seems to be a great guy, but I like him less ON the ice than the other 3. It was great when we had a line going that he really fit on. That was obliterated so we could sign Cody Eakin and 3 other 4th liners.

Similarly, I appreciate the effort that newer guys like Lazar and Rieder and Sheahan bring. 

i like Ullmark's relentlessly positive attitude.

Oh, and I like Jeff Skinner. I think he's severely flawed, though I do think that there are coaches out there under which it wouldn't have gotten THIS bad. But whether or not you agree with me on that, I am impressed that he has always held his tongue even if he has wanted to say something that would cause fireworks to the press (not sure if he has wanted to, but there are MANY players that would have caused issues in the same circumstances), he just keeps trying to fix it/get better. I know it hurts him to be struggling so badly. He still skates and tries hard, and he's a really funny/interesting/quirky guy if you watch videos of him off the ice, I get the impression he's a guy who is simple, happy, nice, and loves his family. 

I don't hate anyone on this team, though I can't wait until Staal is gone. But these are the guys I actively like. 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Repeating what I said elsewhere:

Sam makes the right play all the time, always shows up and is a guy I want on my line

Jake is a warrior and approaches the game the way it should be played. I'd love to see him in the playoffs

Linus is a very cool dude who has worked his ass off to get better

Curtis Lazar cares, is always positive and does what he can with what he has

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Oh yeah, and the young guys are cool and I like them, but the sample size is so small I haven't yet grown attached

This. I know I am a sucker for seeing the potential in the rookies and attaching too much hope.

Too early to judge.

I have to admit I generally like most of the players. Watch them every night or so and get to appreciate them.

I really like Risto, he's such a bull. I'll miss him if he leaves, but that's life. 

Linus is a cool dude and a really good goaltender, wish he could stay healthy. 

Cozens. How could anyone not like that kid? 

Oloffson is a good one. 

I'd love to talk to Henry Joki and just ask him, "What he hell happened to him this year?" 

If talking like personality, I don't know enough about any of them to have any kind of feelings towards whether I "like" them or not. I assume them to be decent human beings until it's revealed otherwise I guess. Oh Okposo is the exception I suppose because I know he is a massive Harry Potter fan and that's my jam.

In terms of players I would want on a more/less ideal team, not just players that are good enough to play a role, but the ones I would have no problem specifically selecting:

X - Eichel - X

Skinner - Cozens - Reinhart

X - X - X

X - X - X

X - X

Dahlin - X

X - X

X

Ullmark

I generally like the lunch pail guys.  Girgs, Lazar, Cozens, McCabe.  Most of the rest range from OK to meh for me.

Okposos fall off makes it hard to have the same level of “like” that I used to have.  He’s a lunch pail guy too.  Always was.  But he just can’t do it anymore and it’s not his fault.  Father Time has caught up.

47 minutes ago, Thorny said:

If talking like personality, I don't know enough about any of them to have any kind of feelings towards whether I "like" them or not. I assume them to be decent human beings until it's revealed otherwise I guess. Oh Okposo is the exception I suppose because I know he is a massive Harry Potter fan and that's my jam.

In terms of players I would want on a more/less ideal team, not just players that are good enough to play a role, but the ones I would have no problem specifically selecting:

X - Eichel - X

Skinner - Cozens - Reinhart

X - X - X

X - X - X

X - X

Dahlin - X

X - X

X

Ullmark

This.

• Like (+1) 1

Like:

Cozens #1

Eichel... Though I was sour on him before, I'm now convinced that injuries have slowed him down this year, not effort.

Reinhart

Risto

McCabe

Olofsson

Thompson... If he gets a regular spot, he could be an effective 3rd line maybe 2nd line player

Mittelstadt... See above

Lazar... Love the effort! Wish everyone wore their heart in their sleeves like him.

Skinner... Give him a proper spot in the lineup.

Borgen

Bryson

Meh:

Ullmark

Reider

Miller

Joki... Was a like, this year brought him down.

Sheahan

Dislike:

Okposo... Not as a person, just on the ice.

Hutton

Eakin

Irwin

Hall... He's useless.

Staal... See above.

Montour... High skill, zero IQ

I was one of those who really thought we would be better this year and I am waiting to see how things play out with a coach behind the bench that allows the players to play to their strengths and does not handcuff them with grand illusions of some incredible defensive system that Ralphie -boy tired to implement with virtually no success. If you are trying to build a defensive-oriented team you need players to fit into that system. Clearly it did not work and hopefully allowing the  players to just play and have fun and open things up may help and then I think we'll have a better idea of what's what. It does seem however that both Staal and Hall seem to have "lost it" and I pray we can get something worthwhile at the trade deadline for each...

Only 3 guys I can think of right now who make me say "I like that guy" are Zemgod Girgelzuns, Cozens, and Risto.

I think I actually like Risto as an individual more than anyone else on the team, despite the fact that I do not like him as a player and would actively like to trade him.  LOL.

I think I could get along with him well if he was my next door neighbor.  He also has a "no BS" demeanor about him that I love, and I think he actually enjoys hitting people, which is totally unique among the current Sabres roster. 

I do not particularly like Eichel or Reinhart as individuals, despite their quality and the fact that I am all for retaining both.

Edited by Kruppstahl

Olofsson's one timer is probably my favorite thing about the team right now.

But the rest of Olofsson's game isn't great and his one-timer release doesn't work when he has to shoot across his body- so it's almost completely ineffective when he's playing LW 5v5 instead of right circle 5v4.  He's a one trick pony, but the trick is exceedingly good.

• Other than that, watching Cozens figure out the NHL game in real time has been fun.
  • Risto doing Risto things has also been enjoyable.
  • Sam seriously gives a ***** about winning and he's usually very focused, so it's nice to see him do well despite the surrounding ***** show.
  • Reider's speed is still impressive; his hands, however, are not.
  • It's been a little interesting to see Mittelstadt retake the reigns on his career.
  • I liked the season McCabe was having, same with Borgen.
  • I see flashes of brilliance from Linus and JJ, but goaltending is a skill game multiplied by a consistency game.
  • Taylor Hall, like Jack, is obviously an extremely skilled and determined, competitive player, and you can see it sometimes, which is very enjoyable to watch, but it's like the coaches were pressing a mute button on their abilities by hampering them with a system or usage that simply didn't fit.

He finished 8th in MVP voting last year, and this year played through a shoulder, broken rib, and finally injured his neck. 

To me, regardless of the substantial talk of systems, coaches, GMs, owners...even when true criticism seemed to become more widespread only within the last 20 odd games, that the years of losing have attached symbiotically to Jack in the minds of much of the fanbase. 

This is just my reading of it. I just found it somewhat striking that the long time captain, and the leading scorer of the team in every year since his rookie year, including the year he missed 21 games, and by a runaway amount since ROR left, is barely listed in a thread about who we like as fans. 

People say he doesn't get blamed enough but I think the proof is in the pudding 

A lot of it may also come down to how people are answering the question, though. If it's more a personality thing

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He finished 8th in MVP voting last year, and this year played through a shoulder, broken rib, and finally injured his neck. 

To me, regardless of the substantial talk of systems, coaches, GMs, owners...even when true criticism seemed to become more widespread only within the last 20 odd games, that the years of losing have attached symbiotically to Jack in the minds of much of the fanbase. 

This is just my reading of it. I just found it somewhat striking that the long time captain, and the leading scorer of the team in every year since his rookie year, including the year he missed 21 games, and by a runaway amount since ROR left, is barely listed in a thread about who we like as fans. 

People say he doesn't get blamed enough but I think the proof is in the pudding 

A lot of it may also come down to how people are answering the question, though. If it's more a personality thing

I think a lot of it comes from the sense of a player giving you what he has. At least that is what this thread seems to be showing.

I certainly don't dislike Jack. He's joy to watch when he's on, I think he cares and I have some sympathy for his situation (projected saviour on a Pegula hellscape).

But last year was the only season out of six that I felt I was watching the top 10 player his skillset says he should be.

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think a lot of it comes from the sense of a player giving you what he has. At least that is what this thread seems to be showing.

I certainly don't dislike Jack. He's joy to watch when he's on, I think he cares and I have some sympathy for his situation (projected saviour on a Pegula hellscape).

But last year was the only season out of six that I felt I was watching the top 10 player his skillset says he should be.

Firstly, it's totally understandable, definitely agree. I wasn't really trying to say anything there other than that I found it kinda interesting/fascinating that he was not listed as being "liked" by that many. It makes total sense why, it's just still such an interesting sort of occurrence you sometimes see - he's been far, far away our best player. 

The bold: well, while valid , it's not like we could have expected that his first two years. He had a solid rookie year, his second year he was close to point a game but got hurt at the beginning. He had that month I think december where he led the league in scoring. He finished 11th in the league in points per game in his second year at age 19/20. Wouldn't say it was a "not living up to what he should be" thing in those years.

Third year, 64 points 67 games. Hurt again. Is there underperformance here?

82 in 77?

Last year 78 in 68, garnered mvp attention league wide, considered to be his best year and him on a new level.

He's played 21 games this year, hurt. 

So if he hasn't lived up to expectations overall...that's a fair take. But it shows you how high the expectations are. 

I still think the fact we haven't won is something he wears. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.