Who are the Asst GM Candidates?

Brawndo

• Brawndo changed the title to Who are the Asst GM Candidates?

Karmanos is the only name I have seen mentioned so far, but it's awfully early.

PS:  We desperately need an assistant GM; if we actually hire one it will be an encouraging sign that Pegula is now willing to spend some money to turn things around.

Edited by Kruppstahl

Jason Karmanos is a very experienced FO person.  Serving as a long time Assistant GM and Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations for both the Carolina Hurricanes and Pittsburgh Penguins during their Stanley Cup winning seasons.  He has won 3 Cups and has 20 years of experience in these positions.

• Like (+1) 1

Existing GM isn't a bad idea.  In my mind, no worse than a Director of Hockey Operations.  What you really need is just someone in the room that Adams feels comfortable working with, but will also have different opinions than Adams.  What any good GM (or leader of any kind for that matter) needs is someone to bounce ideas off, and someone who will give you a different point of view to open your mind to other options.

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

Karmanos is the only name I have seen mentioned so far, but it's awfully early.

I suspect this process has been ongoing longer than we might think.

The senior executive rumour a week or two back was probably the first public whiff of it and it probably emerged because somebody knew somebody who had an interview.

I have no idea if Karmanos is a good choice, but he is certainly qualified.

• Like (+1) 1

“The firing of Karmanos caught a lot of people by surprise — internally and around the NHL, multiple team and league sources said. Karmanos’ job security was not thought to be in jeopardy, the sources said. 

His ties to Rutherford run deep and date to their tenure together in Carolina. He was a Hurricanes executive under Rutherford from 1998-2013, a run that included a Cup championship in 2006 and a trip to the Cup Final in 2002.

In fact, Karmanos’ stock had never been higher than over recent months. He interviewed for the GM vacancy with Arizona, and though he did not land that job, Karmanos’ duties with the Penguins were expanded to include managing their AHL affiliate, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.”

“Rutherford had not wanted to fire assistant GM Jason Karmanos, multiple league sources said, adding that the move caused what one described as “a big blow up.” Rutherford had long considered Karmanos, who initially started working with Rutherford when he was GM of the Carolina Hurricanes, a second son. He said the firing of Karmanos was one of many difficult dismissals he made after the Penguins’ loss to the Canadiens in the Stanley Cup qualifying round last August.”

The athletic

• Thanks (+1) 1

Simply on the basis he’d be more experienced in his role than any of the other current key members of the organization are in their roles, it seems ok to me on paper. 

Another case where there would be similarities to previous hires (the Pittsburgh thing), but the experience stands out well.

Bit of a business background as well 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Simply on the basis he’d be more experienced in his role than any of the other current key members of the organization are in their roles, it seems ok to me on paper. 

Another case where there would be similarities to previous hires (the Pittsburgh thing), but the experience stands out well.

Bit of a business background as well 

I'm not concerned with the whole *Pittsburgh* thing in this case.  This guy followed his old boss to Pittsburgh.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I suspect this process has been ongoing longer than we might think.

The senior executive rumour a week or two back was probably the first public whiff of it and it probably emerged because somebody knew somebody who had an interview.

I have no idea if Karmanos is a good choice, but he is certainly qualified.

I kinda hope that rumour is separate as I’m holding out a bit of hope they are still thinking of someone for at least an advisory position, but I reckon that’s pretty unlikely at this point and what you propose seems likely. 

A clarion call has echoed forth from the Sabres Franchise, for management team help. In pursuance of my goal to see the team improve, I have redoubled my efforts in full on training for the position. Hours have turned in to days, days in to weeks, weeks in to months and months in to years, I am currently using both Microsoft and Sony NHL General Manager Simulation programs, the finest, newest quality of trainers. I am in meetings daily, before, during and after the simulations with my entrusted grizzled analytics and player development staff.....

Colorado and Max.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Says there are players in the org that feel they "don't want to do this anymore". 

Skinner, for all his frustrations with Krueger, doesn’t fit that profile to me. To Curtis Lazar, this is where he carved out a real NHL role for himself. Dahlin, Casey, Thompson, Joki and Dylan are probably all too young to feel this way.

But anyone who has been here any length of time: Eichel, Reinhart, Risto, McCabe, Girgensons, Okposo, Ullmark, Hutton...

And anyone who has experienced the good of the NHL elsewhere: Staal, Eakin, Montour, Miller...

You can’t win when the majority of your key guys and pretty much all of your veterans feel this way.

33 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Again mentioned that he's worried about Sabres having the "thinnest scouting department in the league" and that other teams talk about not seeing Sabres guys around 

Said Karmanos would be a good hire but that they need more

He said it twice!  It must be extra true!

On 3/17/2021 at 5:13 PM, Scottysabres said:

A clarion call has echoed forth from the Sabres Franchise, for management team help. In pursuance of my goal to see the team improve, I have redoubled my efforts in full on training for the position. Hours have turned in to days, days in to weeks, weeks in to months and months in to years, I am currently using both Microsoft and Sony NHL General Manager Simulation programs, the finest, newest quality of trainers. I am in meetings daily, before, during and after the simulations with my entrusted grizzled analytics and player development staff.....

Colorado and Max.jpg

Lost the blonde one today. Just over 10 yes old, Max was his name. Real close with the daughters. No known reason, blood testing shows nothing, had seizures around 1pm, gone by 2:30pm. Raced to the animal hospital but it was meant to be i guess. Sad day.

• Sad 4

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

Lost the blonde one today. Just over 10 yes old, Max was his name. Real close with the daughters. No known reason, blood testing shows nothing, had seizures around 1pm, gone by 2:30pm. Raced to the animal hospital but it was meant to be i guess. Sad day.

Sorry to hear that man. Have a drink for him tonight

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Sorry! I am a pet lover and over the years have had to see them leave us. It's always a hard thing.

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Radar said:

Sorry! I am a pet lover and over the years have had to see them leave us. It's always a hard thing.

Yea, I've lost a few. The red golden in the photo I posted, thats Colorado, a gift, from my mom and dad, they have his mother. It will be a bad day for me when his time comes, he's been my wing man since he was born, he'll be 10 at the end of April.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.