Confidence

Figster

Confidence, we hear this word tossed around allot as If not having it is the root of all evils. In reality from a team perspective that invloves and requires many moving parts working together in unison to become formidable. A force to be reckoned with, this is probably true. Without confidence in a hockey team there is no trust between Defenseman and Goalie or Goalie in his Defenseman. There is no going Forward when the team itself is skating backward trying to do to much and overcompensate because without confidence in each other it becomes a one man team.

Some may wonder why I viewed the most recent loss to the Devils as a small step forward in a team needing / gaining confidence. We watched Hall go down hard from a puck to the face that would have taken most players out for the count and then some. I think its safe to say now the Buffalo Sabres hockey team has confidence that Hall is here to fight to the bitter end with his fellow teammates. Myself personally, its the kind of thing that builds team confidence. A sense of unity. One for all, and all for one. 

I can understand from a fans perspective everyones frustrations. On the other hand with the teams two MVP's out and considering the disruption due to covid. Now the firing of HC RK. I think under the circumstances it helps explain why we have yet to see what appeared to be a formidable hockey team on paper materialize in real time on ice in my humble opinion.  

Confidence... 

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Figster said:

If I'm being honesg I missed the R K firing before posting it, lol 

Lol. No offense, I didn’t read it. I saw something about confidence and just went to one of my favorite quotes. 🤷🏻

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I hope you are right.

Now that the coach has been sacrificed we will see what the players are made of.  Many of these guys have been through many coaches and they didn't seem to want to play for any of them.

Yup, that is my concern.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

19 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I hope you are right.

Now that the coach has been sacrificed we will see what the players are made of.  Many of these guys have been through many coaches and they didn't seem to want to play for any of them.

13 hours ago, Weave said:

Yup, that is my concern.

Sometimes its necessary to take one step back to take two steps forward. Its a coaches job to make sure the team is well prepared and has the confidence it needs to move forward. Evidently that has not been the case with R K. So while I feel Krueger may have been made the sacrificial lamb in what has been the start of a very unfortunate season.

Its a new dawn, a new day,

and I'm feeling good about the future... 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, North Buffalo said:

I am still mixed until  someone can figure out way to light a fire under Jack and show him how to be a leader or if not find another Captain til he grows up.

Myself personally, I agree North Buffalo. I'm a huge fan of Jack although I'm not sure the C is a good fit for him.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Agreed Jack is awesome just not a Captain... take the pressure off him and let him find his game again.

Taylor Hall perhaps?  I think he may have earned the kind of respect from the Buffalo Sabre hockey team needed to set a good example in my humble opinion North Buffalo.

Edited by Figster

57 minutes ago, Figster said:

Taylor Hall perhaps?  I think he may have earned the kind of respect from the Buffalo Sabre hockey team needed to set a good example in my humble opinion North Buffalo.

Hall has shown me absolutely nothing in terms of on ice leadership. Just my opinion. At this point resigning him is a quick no for me as well. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Figster said:

As long as Jack is on the team, it’s moot, but why is Hall a leader?  He has never even been a part of a good team.

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Hall has shown me absolutely nothing in terms of on ice leadership. Just my opinion. At this point resigning him is a quick no for me as well. 

Fair enough,

Myself personally, I think its hard for anyone to show leadership including Jack on a team in disarray IMO.

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

As long as Jack is on the team, it’s moot, but why is Hall a leader?  He has never even been a part of a good team.

Has Jack? ( NHL )

I think Hall leads by example when you can take a puck to the face and continue fighting for your team.

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Figster said:

Has Jack? ( NHL )

No!  Is Jack a good leader?

If we are discussing who would be a good replacement as captain for a questionable leader in Jack, would you choose an equally questionable leader in Hall?

On a somewhat related note, my goodness does this team need to add a few more guys who have played on good NHL teams!  They are almost all career bottom dwellers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Curt said:

No!  Is Jack a good leader?

If we are discussing who would be a good replacement as captain for a questionable leader in Jack, would you choose an equally questionable leader in Hall?

On a somewhat related note, my goodness does this team need to add a few more guys who have played on good NHL teams!  They are almost all career bottom dwellers.

Its a good point you make about needing a winning mentality brought in to help develop and turn the Sabres into a winning culture.

Perhaps Jeff Skinner would be a better choice to wear the C. ( experienced )

Edited by Figster

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Or Sam my preference if he comes back health is Jake McCabe 

I like the way you think North Buffalo.

One way or the other, shake things up a bit...

Seek out new life, new civilization,

To boldly go where no man has gone before...

Samson, the Rhino frontier... 

Edited by Figster

1 hour ago, Figster said:

Its a good point you make about needing a winning mentality brought in to help develop and turn the Sabres into a winning culture.

Perhaps Jeff Skinner would be a better choice to wear the C. ( experienced )

Id give Skinner a big thumbs down too, for a few reasons.  He also has never been part of a winning team.  He doesn’t play a complete 200 ft game, so he can’t lead by example in all areas.  He is personally struggling mightily as a player right now, he doesn’t need any extra pressure.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.