What role should Terry and Kim play in hiring a new coach?

PASabreFan

What role should Terry and Kim play in hiring a new coach?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What role should Terry and Kim play in hiring a new coach?

• None whatsoever (they find out when we do)
    • Only "sign-off" on GM/POHO's decision
    • Equal partners with GM/POHO to find consensus choice
    • Make the decision unilaterally with GM/POHO "sign-off"

1 minute ago, Thwomp! said:

I don't know what to vote because I wish we had someone other than Adams in here as part of management and guiding this evaluation/decision.

Are you saying if Adams is still the GM, he will need the Pegulas' help?

I think that thinking of the GM/POHO as a generic figure works for this poll.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Where's the "Consult PA Sabres Fan" option?

I would have nothing to offer (except maybe that hiring from the college ranks is dumb). I'm not a board know it all. (I do think I'm right about the Pegulas, though.)

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think any GM has much of a right to make major decisions without running it by the owners, and if an owner doesn't like a decision I don't think the GM can just go and do it anyway. if it happens at all, it is very, very rare.

In most cases, the GM can do the research, come up with the candidates, and tell the owners who the GM wants..and just hope the owners agree.  

Some owners might be a little more hands off (do the work and just let me know before you decide), others may be more hands on (owners sit in on the meetings and give their opinion to the GM)...I just fear that Terry is more of the 2nd kind...and he isn't great at doing it.

• Like (+1) 1

I think that, if they've learned anything over the years, the directive should be simple: pick a guy with experience.

They must realize by now that, although Bylsma wasn't THE guy, he was the right type of guy.

That should be their involvement. Say, "hire a guy with a lot of head coach experience to lend credibility to our organization" and then rubber stamp whoever comes their way that fits the bill. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Oh goody.  More crusade.

I'm calling BS on this post.  Don't make me report you.

This is a legit question posed by a fan that has concerns that the owners are making big mistakes in the hiring process for their hockey team, because they are too involved in that process and do not know what they are doing.  No crusade.  He / she is not the only fan with these concerns.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I think that, if they've learned anything over the years, the directive should be simple: pick a guy with experience.

They must realize by now that, although Bylsma wasn't THE guy, he was the right type of guy.

That should be their involvement. Say, "hire a guy with a lot of head coach experience to lend credibility to our organization" and then rubber stamp whoever comes their way that fits the bill. 

I'm not even comfortable with that.

39 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Oh goody.  More crusade.

You're the only one who's on a crusade. Are you mad you weren't smart enough to put the pieces together on Day One?

If they are part of any interview whether in person or remote, THEY ARE TOO INVOLVED. 

Sign off on the decision of your hockey FO(that is a whole different problem), and go back to drilling wells, building yachts, watching the kid play tennis, etc...

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I'm calling BS on this post.  Don't make me report you.

This is a legit question posed by a fan that has concerns that the owners are making big mistakes in the hiring process for their hockey team, because they are too involved in that process and do not know what they are doing.  No crusade.  He / she is not the only fan with these concerns.

Has anyone credible EVER said that TP has been more involved in HC selection than meeting his GM's choice and signing off on it?  Or for that matter that TP has any more involvement in HC selection than 75% of other NHL owners?

You are certainly right that some fans are concerned that TP is too involved in the HC hiring process.  Some fans are also concerned that the real Jack Eichel was abducted by aliens.  The existence of the concern, which I do not dispute, does not indicate any basis for the concerns.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The "should" doesn't interest me all that much.

I presume that they will be as involved in this hiring process as they were with McDermott (and Beane (?)). Which is fairly involved. Flat management structure, and so on. My sense is that KA will do initial leg work, be in communication with them, and then they will all have a role in evaluating their short list of candidates.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Has anyone credible EVER said that TP has been more involved in HC selection than meeting his GM's choice and signing off on it?  Or for that matter that TP has any more involvement in HC selection than 75% of other NHL owners?

You are certainly right that some fans are concerned that TP is too involved in the HC hiring process.  Some fans are also concerned that the real Jack Eichel was abducted by aliens.  The existence of the concern, which I do not dispute, does not indicate any basis for the concerns.

Here you go(from the Spectrum News website). I am reading this as it happened prior to a decision being made on the hire...

Pegula said he was immediately impressed with Krueger's worldly background and philosophies.

"There was a feeling when Ralph came in the room that it was almost a presence. It was like, 'Well, this guy's different,'" he said. "We started talking to Ralph and we didn't want to leave. I took so many notes, I stopped taking notes because Ralph's a quote machine."

Pegula was particularly impressed by Krueger's decision to visit Buffalo and spend time talking to fans in bars while watching the NHL playoffs to get a sense of the city.

"It's so ingenious," he said. "He's an out-of-the-box thinker."

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Has anyone credible EVER said that TP has been more involved in HC selection than meeting his GM's choice and signing off on it? 

I don't have time to dig, but that is very much not my sense of what the Pegulas have said their process is. Hell, Terry was intimately involved with the process of identifying Josh Allen as the QB1. Now, maybe he's just there along for the ride, getting a feeling for things, but he was there on the ground level.

Also: Quote machine. Lol.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Here you go(from the Spectrum News website). I am reading this as it happened prior to a decision being made on the hire...

Pegula said he was immediately impressed with Krueger's worldly background and philosophies.

"There was a feeling when Ralph came in the room that it was almost a presence. It was like, 'Well, this guy's different,'" he said. "We started talking to Ralph and we didn't want to leave. I took so many notes, I stopped taking notes because Ralph's a quote machine."

Pegula was particularly impressed by Krueger's decision to visit Buffalo and spend time talking to fans in bars while watching the NHL playoffs to get a sense of the city.

"It's so ingenious," he said. "He's an out-of-the-box thinker."

and this...

As for the future structure of the organization, Pegula was asked whether or not he might hire someone to oversee the hockey department above the general manger. He didn't rule it out, but said that the structure will depend partially on the vision of the first person they bring into the organization.

"Without disclosing specifics on this search, we are going to find the best candidates that we will bring into our organization to achieve our goals," he said. "The structure will land depending on the first person that we bring in, what his attitude is and how we should work together."

Pegula also said that experience will be a key in the search for a new general manager, although he added that their approach may change as they begin to speak with candidates. He also said that he will be more personally involved than when Murray or Bylsma were hired.

"I can tell you that I was not involved in the last GM/coach search to a large extent and I regret that move," he said. "And that's all I'm going to say about that."

Pegula said that no interviews had been conducted as of Friday morning. 

/case closed

9 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

In this article, TP himself says he stopped taking notes during the interview because RK is a quote machine. That seems pretty involved.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sabres-owner-terry-pegula-time-start-winning/

And this.

Added Kim Pegula: "I don’t know there’s any team that hasn’t had their share of mistakes and changes. Those just happen to be ours."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.