Kevyn Adams: Krueger Fired Presser, 11:30am 3/17/2021

LGR4GM

13 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

This is definitely true. We've played like individuals over team for years now. Different coaches too. This is why I think we need a full rebuild. I'm not sure a number of these talented players are willing or capable of being team players. 

So that's a mission statement? I see no evidence of it being followed or adhered to. 

It was on the wall in the offices in one of their “behind the scenes” media release videos.

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

It was on the wall in the offices in one of their “behind the scenes” media release videos.

Well it definitely reads like a mission statement, but most mission statements are bs. If they want to actually follow it they need to rebuild around a captain and core that embodies that and this core isn't that. 

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well it definitely reads like a mission statement, but most mission statements are bs. If they want to actually follow it they need to rebuild around a captain and core that embodies that and this core isn't that. 

Yes, I believe that it is Adams’ mission statement.  I definitely understand why you feel that way.  Adams has been in the job since June.  I think he is honestly contemplating how to best rebuild the team in that image.  Seems like he has been trying to figure out what he can get for just about everyone on the trade market.

1 minute ago, Curt said:

Yes, I believe that it is Adams’ mission statement.  I definitely understand why you feel that way.  Adams has been in the job since June.  I think he is honestly contemplating how to best rebuild the team in that image.  Seems like he has been trying to figure out what he can get for just about everyone on the trade market.

My problem with believing in it is I see no evidence of any attempt to slowly move in that direction. He's been around. Evaluation shouldn't take that long and a lot of these guys have shown what they can and can't (or won't) do for years. Leaving everything to the deadline seems risky and I'm skeptical. 

He really needs to make a deal that sets the tone and direction. A big one. 

Around the 2:45 mark Adams mentions “other people that will be part of the process” (hiring a new head coach).  So no AGM, still looking to hire this person.  People is plural, right?  Just Terry and Kim?  Who else would be involved? Still hoping for  a Consigliere role above and beyond AGM. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I have borderline unreasonable belief that Kevyn Adams is going to get this right 

The fact that the narrative is that he went to Boca for an audience with Pope Terry to brief him on his plans somehow makes it feel like this will be different.  KA is a longtime Pegula employee but he's been a hockey guy even longer.  I like to think that the fact that he took the time to brief TP before pulling the trigger, and apparently got buy-in based on KA's initiative rather than TP's prerogative, makes me think that TP is willing to invest some faith and offer support to KA.

Now it just remains to be seen if KA has the chops to execute his plan.

8 hours ago, Curt said:

I think Krueger is a generally engaging and interesting person who seems to care about others.  I bet he has great stories.  Also, it doesn’t sound like he worked then too hard in practice.  I’m not surprised that they liked him.

The only problem is that it seems he isn’t a good coach.

Exactly. The system was bad long before the players gave up. Even with unadjusted effort we should see slightly better play based on that alone assuming Granato isn’t more of the same 

21 hours ago, SDS said:

What about the idea that Granato could just sit in front of the players and listen to feedback regarding the way they were asked to play?

I pointed out earlier that these guys have been playing hockey all their lives. They have watched hockey all their lives. They don’t need to be coached how to stay onside. I’m sure there are a lot of opinions and how they think their own game has been hampered the last 18 months.

You can take 5 of the most talented people and put them together to play.  It doesn't mean they will play together.  When player A believes he should go left and player B expected him to cross the line, that ends up in off-side.  The point being, the coach is the one who brings them together to play as a team and not a group of individuals.  If your group of individuals is going off-side in practice then they are not working as hard as they should, paying attention to detail, etc.

21 hours ago, SDS said:

Fair enough. He may have been too close to the situation, but maybe there’s a reason he wasn’t fired with the others? Maybe he has always had his concerns but simply did what he was asked to do based upon his position?

It might be that he was the least tied to what the team had been doing and so provided the best choice for an interim coach to smooth transition. 

• spndnchz unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Is RK the worst coach in Sabres history?

it's pretty incredible how he held everyone back, isn't it? Hockey doesn't need a lot of coaching...how to play defense and breakout of your zone and then let your forwards play

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Let me tell you the story of Ron Rolston... it begins on a sunny day in hell... 

Almost identical points % as Sabres head coach, too

Krueger had to deal with the tougher schedule, this year, but also had more talent on the team.

A carrion level battle 

Its RK by a mile.  The Sabres were tanking during Rolston’s tenure.  It’s hardly the coaches fault when the GMs sell off every decent player on the team.  Rasputin was given good players.  Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Dahlin, Ullmark, Hall, Staal, Etc.. and he lost worse then Ralston.  

Ralston was 15-11-5 after he took over for Lindy Ruff in February.  This solid record despite DR trading Leopold, Pominville and Regehr at the deadline for picks and prospects. The next season, DR traded Sekera and Vanek before he and Rolston were fired in Nov.  

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Ralston was 15-11-5 after he took over for Lindy Ruff in February.  This solid record despite DR trading Leopold, Pominville and Regehr at the deadline for picks and prospects. The next season, DR traded Sekera and Vanek before he and Rolston were fired in Nov.  

DR was right:  There was pain.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.