Kevyn Adams: Krueger Fired Presser, 11:30am 3/17/2021

LGR4GM

2 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

"Evaluating" , 'Unacceptable", "Not getting it done", "Professional Sports", "Results"

Any other buzzwords / phrases that we should drink to every time they're mentioned? 

"Good group of players", "Strong organisation", "Better than the record reflects", Unfortunate chain of events"?

29 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think anyone expecting a bump with the change is going to be very disappointed.

By and large, I expect that once the immediate relief from the pressure valve release is over, there will be an existential crisis that flows through the room. This wasn’t a team chafing under a tyrant. They liked and believed in Ralph and they let him down. The Sabres lifers will feel trapped and lost. The short-term vets will be counting the days until they move on. 

I don’t expect a significant shift in systems. Granato’s voice will pale next to Ralph’s. Maybe the young D get a bump from Girardi? For a lot of the players and part of the coaching staff, there will literally be nothing to play for.

I expect the next two months will be akin to the final weeks at a workplace where the company has announced a permanent branch shutdown. A handful of guys will still see a future with the firm and will either be trying to cement their roles or jockeying for new positions. Most will be putting in time with one foot out the door.

It’s limbo until the new coach is hired and the summer roster moves are made.

What about the idea that Granato could just sit in front of the players and listen to feedback regarding the way they were asked to play?

I pointed out earlier that these guys have been playing hockey all their lives. They have watched hockey all their lives. They don’t need to be coached how to stay onside. I’m sure there are a lot of opinions and how they think their own game has been hampered the last 18 months.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I'd be interested in asking all these guys who loved playing for Krueger so much why, if he was such a great coach whom they loved, were they so individually and collectively terrible and why did they individually and collectively not look like they were playing for a person they gave a plug nickel about?

FWIW, I don’t believe “playing for a person“ is actually a thing. maybe you could summoned some sort of extra motion for a player to. Maybe even a game. But I don’t think for one minute they’re playing for anyone in particular is a sustainable mindset.

16 minutes ago, SDS said:

What about the idea that Granato could just sit in front of the players and listen to feedback regarding the way they were asked to play?

I pointed out earlier that these guys have been playing hockey all their lives. They have watched hockey all their lives. They don’t need to be coached how to stay onside. I’m sure there are a lot of opinions and how they think their own game has been hampered the last 18 months.

I think Granato has had a significant role in how they were asked to play. 
I think the players have had an opportunity to provide the type of feedback you are talking about.

So while I can’t disagree with your points, or speak against this as a course of action, I have my doubts that it will solve much, or that Granato is the guy to implement it.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I think Granato has had a significant role in how they were asked to play. 
I think the players have had an opportunity to provide the type of feedback you are talking about.

So while I can’t disagree with your points, or speak against this as a course of action, I have my doubts that it will solve much, or that Granato is the guy to implement it.

Fair enough. He may have been too close to the situation, but maybe there’s a reason he wasn’t fired with the others? Maybe he has always had his concerns but simply did what he was asked to do based upon his position?

19 minutes ago, SDS said:

Fair enough. He may have been too close to the situation, but maybe there’s a reason he wasn’t fired with the others? Maybe he has always had his concerns but simply did what he was asked to do based upon his position?

I think he wasn’t fired because they need a coaching staff to finish out the season and he has the best resume for interim head coach.

As for the rest, maybe.

Edited by dudacek

Just now, dudacek said:

I think he wasn’t fired because they need a coaching staff to finish out the season and he has the best resume for infirm head coach.

As for the rest, maybe.

I’m just projecting my own thoughts on the situation, but if my boss was just fired and I was looking to do his job with a team that didn’t look right, I would provide a pressure valve release and let people come and speak freely about what they felt wasn’t working.

• Like (+1) 3

Often when a coach gets fired there is a sense that there are certain things he and the GM don’t see eye-to-eye on, that the GM thinks that making the change might address.

I get the sense the reason Ralph stuck around for so long is because there weren’t a lot of these issues between he and Kevyn; they were on the same page in a lot of ways philosophically.

He got fired when his record made it impossible not to fire him.

Edited by dudacek

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Often when a coach gets fired there is a sense that there are certain things he and the GM don’t see eye-to-eye on, that the GM made the change might address.

I get the sense the reason Ralph stuck around for so long is because there weren’t a lot of these issues between he and Kevyn; they were on the same page in a lot of ways philosophically.

This would contribute heavily to the, "well, what do we do, now?!" aura you can kinda feel around the whole thing 

The obvious point they are missing is the experience thing again. Maybe Ralph failed as an NHL coach because he hasn't really established as....an NHL coach 

Edited by Thorny

20 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Big load of crap.

Gotta be better, take time to get it right blah blah blah translates as a big bag of nothing. There is no sense of direction, what the plan is, or what they actually intend to do. I doubt very much they even know. 

You really thought he would come out maybe two hours after terminating a coach and introduce a new one? What sense of direction description would you have been looking for? I'm not by any means covering for this franchise as I've been very critical of it but I didn't expect anything more from this press conference.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Radar said:

You really thought he would come out maybe two hours after terminating a coach and introduce a new one? What sense of direction description would you have been looking for? I'm not by any means covering for this franchise as I've been very critical of it but I didn't expect anything more from this press conference.

I definitely didn't expect anything today and that is because since Adams has taken over I've not seen any indication of what the desired direction or result is and it continues. He is just "evaluating" but evaluating what? to what end? what is the plan ? what is his vision of what or who we should be? At least JBot and Housley had a vision. It failed, but it was an idea. 

I've just about had it with this franchise, and I'd like to hear what they want it to become so I ca decide if it's worth sticking around for it or not. 

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Big load of crap.

Gotta be better, take time to get it right blah blah blah translates as a big bag of nothing. There is no sense of direction, what the plan is, or what they actually intend to do. I doubt very much they even know. 

One thing is assured, all plans include Zemgus Girgensons.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

I definitely didn't expect anything today and that is because since Adams has taken over I've not seen any indication of what the desired direction or result is and it continues. He is just "evaluating" but evaluating what? to what end? what is the plan ? what is his vision of what or who we should be? At least JBot and Housley had a vision. It failed, but it was an idea. 

I've just about had it with this franchise, and I'd like to hear what they want it to become so I ca decide if it's worth sticking around for it or not. 

We're all frustrated. I'm now 78 and been here since the Knox's were awarded this franchise so I feel your pain. The vision? Well to construct a winning team. If what you're asking is how then that's something most GM's  aren't going to come right out with because it usually entails coaching and they are making that change. Players. They're not going to publicly announce we're looking to trade so and so. It's difficult to be totally transparent because other GM's can look to take advantage. They've said they're open for business. That's as transparent and informative as you can expect.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Radar said:

We're all frustrated. I'm now 78 and been here since the Knox's were awarded this franchise so I feel your pain. The vision? Well to construct a winning team. If what you're asking is how then that's something most GM's  aren't going to come right out with because it usually entails coaching and they are making that change. Players. They're not going to publicly announce we're looking to trade so and so. It's difficult to be totally transparent because other GM's can look to take advantage. They've said they're open for business. That's as transparent and informative as you can expect.

I'm not quite as old as you, but as a kid I did become a fan watching the French Connection upset Montreal so I remember those days. 

What I've wanted for a long time now is a clear identity for this team. We've lacked that for quite a while simply building (floundering?) on some vague notion of Eichel will save us and not much else. Some teams build on one model and lack in another area (eg. Tampa had to beef up to match the speed and skill they built on, Boston plays hard D but lacks offense etc.) We're not fast, we don't play wide open, we don't play choking D, we're not tough, we're a mix of non entities and confusion. Our identity is simply losing and under achieving. 

I want a GM/owner to commit to one identity and build on that like we've done in the distant past. So what I'd be happier hearing is Adams saying ..............this (whatever it is) is who I want us to be and this is how we will get there piece by piece. Then we as fans can judge properly who fits into that and what we're lacking and so forth. Right now we are a rudderless sinking ship. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm not quite as old as you, but as a kid I did become a fan watching the French Connection upset Montreal so I remember those days. 

What I've wanted for a long time now is a clear identity for this team. We've lacked that for quite a while simply building (floundering?) on some vague notion of Eichel will save us and not much else. Some teams build on one model and lack in another area (eg. Tampa had to beef up to match the speed and skill they built on, Boston plays hard D but lacks offense etc.) We're not fast, we don't play wide open, we don't play choking D, we're not tough, we're a mix of non entities and confusion. Our identity is simply losing and under achieving. 

I want a GM/owner to commit to one identity and build on that like we've done in the distant past. So what I'd be happier hearing is Adams saying ..............this (whatever it is) is who I want us to be and this is how we will get there piece by piece. Then we as fans can judge properly who fits into that and what we're lacking and so forth. Right now we are a rudderless sinking ship. 

What I see is a bunch of individuals who haven't melded into a team. It's a team sport. It's not just individual talent. I think this may be what you describe as an identity and if that's the case we're on the same page. We have some individual talents at fairly high level but do they play well as a team? It would seem not. This is why a coach and GM need to work as a team as well.

Sure the players loved RK, he was a great friend, probably a great interesting guy to talk to about anything and provide worldly advice for these young adults.     But that doesn't make him a good hockey coach.    

• Like (+1) 5

4 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I guess what I'm getting at is for someone to say that RK was the best coach they ever had, you'd expect that person to come to work with a little more joy and verve for life than you would for someone who was playing for someone they hated. They looked like soulless zombies all season.

"I love RK, he made me feel great about myself"

"Yeah but you're playing your way out of the league"

"I'm going to measure my career by more than stats and wins"

Risto is the one who said that, and he was playing as good as he ever has in his life.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

This is what Adams wants the Buffalo Sabres to be.  Not sure if it’s what you are looking for.

F2EDC1FD-6E72-42EC-81FF-0FB79E084C43.jpeg

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Often when a coach gets fired there is a sense that there are certain things he and the GM don’t see eye-to-eye on, that the GM thinks that making the change might address.

I agree with this.  It sure seemed that the RK plan was in agreement with the KA plan.  There was not tension between the two fo them.  Ralph got fired because this whole thing became a bad joke, not because the organization wasn't on the same page.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Weave said:

I agree with this.  It sure seemed that the RK plan was in agreement with the KA plan.  There was not tension between the two fo them.  Ralph got fired because this whole thing became a bad joke, not because the organization wasn't on the same page.

Maybe there was little friction because Adams had to defer to Krueger? The latest rumor is that Pegula has "given Adams the keys" now and he was operating before by getting Krueger the guys he wanted 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.