Kevyn Adams: Krueger Fired Presser, 11:30am 3/17/2021

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Nothing particularly revealing or compelling, not that we should have expected any different.

We are currently in the most uncomfortable limbo in franchise history, save for the Rigas stuff. It will probably be a few months before the direction of the franchise is even clear, much less whether or not we can be confident it's the right direction. Who will the coach be? What will our front office staff look like? What are we doing with Jack? Will we be putting a legitimate NHL roster on the ice this fall? We are months from answers to questions that will only start to give us an idea of whether or not we are on a real foundation again. 

Very disconcerting time 

Agree with most but I bet you he's lying about the "thorough search for the coach" thing like he did about having complete say in the Ralph decision. 

Leaman will be announced shortly after his season is over, sticking with that

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Presser was about what we all expected. Really the only interesting factoid was the currently looking for an assistant gm thing. 

Yeah, it sounded like that process is well underway — as in interviews have happened and a hire might be coming soon.

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Even if you're thinking about moving him, you don't just decide to give him the cold shoulder while he's still your captain and most important player

Kevyn could/should be using these discussions with Jack to evaluate Jack. 

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

I think the over the top, resounding affirmation that the players loved Ralph (Dahlin said he was the best coach he ever played for) was probably a big factor in the delay of Ralph’s firing. 

I thought it was Ristolainen not Dahlin who said that. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, SDS said:

I think the over the top, resounding affirmation that the players loved Ralph (Dahlin said he was the best coach he ever played for) was probably a big factor in the delay of Ralph’s firing. 

It was Risto and Adams corrected himself to say that Risto said that Krueger was his favorite of all coaches that he played for.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

The problem is Kevyn doesn’t need an assistant GM.  He needs someone with more experience to help guide him. A Mike Futa type or a Mike Gillis as Senior Advisor type.

That person could be an Associate GM.  That’s a title commonly given to an assistant who has lots of power/agency.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SDS said:

I think the over the top, resounding affirmation that the players loved Ralph (Risto said he was the best coach he ever played for) was probably a big factor in the delay of Ralph’s firing. 

I think anyone expecting a bump with the change is going to be very disappointed.

By and large, I expect that once the immediate relief from the pressure valve release is over, there will be an existential crisis that flows through the room. This wasn’t a team chafing under a tyrant. They liked and believed in Ralph and they let him down. The Sabres lifers will feel trapped and lost. The short-term vets will be counting the days until they move on. 

I don’t expect a significant shift in systems. Granato’s voice will pale next to Ralph’s. Maybe the young D get a bump from Girardi? For a lot of the players and part of the coaching staff, there will literally be nothing to play for.

I expect the next two months will be akin to the final weeks at a workplace where the company has announced a permanent branch shutdown. A handful of guys will still see a future with the firm and will either be trying to cement their roles or jockeying for new positions. Most will be putting in time with one foot out the door.

It’s limbo until the new coach is hired and the summer roster moves are made.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

I just listened to the PC in full.

I thought Adams' comments about "culture" were quite interesting.

He sounds like he acknowledges that there is some type of culture problem and that it is important to get that fixed going forward.

The easiest way to do that is by stringing some wins together.

The easiest way to get those wins is to hire a good, proven, NHL HC.

So why wasn't Boudreau named new HC today?

I fear they are going in another direction not involving Boudreau, Julien, Gallant.

1 minute ago, Kruppstahl said:

I fear they are going in another direction not involving Boudreau, Julien, Gallant.

We all fear that.  Leaman could be a wonderful hire.  He really could.  Every NHL coach has a first NHL job, right?  But this is not the time to experiment.

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Kruppstahl said:

I just listened to the PC in full.

I thought Adams' comments about "culture" were quite interesting.

He sounds like he acknowledges that there is some type of culture problem and that it is important to get that fixed going forward.

The easiest way to do that is by stringing some wins together.

The easiest way to get those wins is to hire a good, proven, NHL HC.

So why wasn't Boudreau named new HC today?

Maybe. But I didn't hear anything that tells me those three are not open for consideration. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think anyone expecting a bump with the change is going to be very disappointed.

By and large, I expect that once the immediate relief from the pressure valve release is over, there will be an existential crisis that flows through the room. This wasn’t a team chafing under a tyrant. They liked and believed in Ralph and they let him down. The Sabres lifers will feel trapped and lost. The short-term vets will be counting the days until they move on. 

I don’t expect a significant shift in systems. Granato’s voice will pale next to Ralph’s. Maybe the young D get a bump from Girardi? For a lot of the players and part of the coaching staff, there will literally be nothing to play for.

I expect the next two months will be akin to the final weeks at a workplace where the company has announced a permanent branch shutdown. A handful of guys will still see a future with the firm and will either be trying to cement their roles or jockeying for new positions. Most will be putting in time with one foot out the door.

I agree with all of this and would just add that it supports IMHO the idea of getting the new coach in here ASAP.  The sooner they start caring about winning, the sooner the loser culture will dissipate.

• Like (+1) 2

To answer some questions 

1.  A new coach wasn’t brought because that would have been spending more money and TP isn’t doing that this season.

2. How can KA be better.  Instead of search for an asst GM now, he should have hired one when he got the job.  Also he should have fired RK a month ago and actually use his analytics department such as it is.  Basically he needs to make decisions faster.  

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I agree with all of this and would just add that it supports IMHO the idea of getting the new coach in here ASAP.  The sooner they start caring about winning, the sooner the loser culture will dissipate.

It's all about building credibility. Letting the interim coaches take this season to the end is not a good look for the franchise. Getting an experienced coach in here ASAP to get to work seems crucial, especially if you're worried about player evaluation. You want a guy like Boudreau giving you feedback before you ever reach the off-season.

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Probably correct. So, a gigantic waste of time and resources, right? Without the long game in sight, again..

6 minutes ago, darksabre said:

It's all about building credibility. Letting the interim coaches take this season to the end is not a good look for the franchise. Getting an experienced coach in here ASAP to get to work seems crucial, especially if you're worried about player evaluation. You want a guy like Boudreau giving you feedback before you ever reach the off-season.

Exactly. Plus all the learning the system stuff we usually hear. A lot of these guys will be back. And it's not going to hurt to build up these guys confidence, for real this time, if the new coach helps them out. They can't talk about culture and let it fester the last half this season

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.