Now What? Setting a New Course or Rebuild 5.0?

GASabresIUFAN

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

Even if they blow it up, they should be able to put together a team that can flirt with a wild card spot and is poised for an influx of talent immediately. IF they do it right.

This has been my point about the last 11 years. 50% of the teams make the playoffs, but somehow they have screwed this up so badly, not only haven't they made the playoffs, they haven't come CLOSE! 😡

6 hours ago, Norcal said:

Immediate future they should play the kids that are ready now.

Then, bring up some of the kids in Rochester for a block of games to gauge the future. 

Either stay interim or bring in Bruce Boudreau who I think can get the most out of this team the fastest. 

IF they stay interim and hire a coach after the season I hope they look at:

Rod Brind'Amour (not likely)

Luke Richardson

Nate Leaman

Serious question:

Is there a former Sabre who could come in as Team President and restore credibility to this front office?

Can anyone fill that role? 

Rick Dudley asked.  Someone rebuffed him.

Honestly, I would consider taking Darcy back.  That feels unhealthy to me, though.

Edited by Marvin, Sabres Fan
Doubled post

40 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Rick Dudley asked.  Someone rebuffed him.

Honestly, I would consider taking Darcy back.  That feels unhealthy to me, though.

Darcy probably has the most success of any GM in our history.  But I think he's out of hockey, he left the Coyotes for personal reasons and think he's been quiet ever since.

Fans wouldn't like him back, even though he was successful.

7 hours ago, Norcal said:

Immediate future they should play the kids that are ready now.

Then, bring up some of the kids in Rochester for a block of games to gauge the future. 

Either stay interim or bring in Bruce Boudreau who I think can get the most out of this team the fastest. 

IF they stay interim and hire a coach after the season I hope they look at:

Rod Brind'Amour (not likely)

Luke Richardson

Nate Leaman

Serious question:

Is there a former Sabre who could come in as Team President and restore credibility to this front office?

Can anyone fill that role? 

Chris Drury

It’s too bad Brian Burke got hired by Pitt a few weeks back. Even if it were short term, he’d have put this team in notice and steered it in the right direction. He wouldn’t have been a long term hire because he doesn’t like to stick around anywhere too long these days, but he would’ve gotten the foundation poured and hired his replacement along the way. 
And the media would’ve had lots of fun.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

No matter which "path" they choose (I think the sticking point between potential paths is the presence of Reinhart/Eichel), if they don't bring more wins in 2021-22 than we've seen in a long time, they are executing that path poorly. Even if they blow it up, they should be able to put together a team that can flirt with a wild card spot and is poised for an influx of talent immediately. IF they do it right.

The Florida Panthers haven’t won a playoff round since 1996. They missed the playoffs 10 years in a row, then 6 out of 7 after that. Last year they would have missed again in a normal season.

They had a seemingly meh off-season, dumping scorers Hoffman and Dadynov and adding role players like Verhaege, Hornqvist, Hinostroza and Nuttivara.

And they are tied for first in the entire league.

The Sabres have enough assets and flexibility in place that they can easily flirt with the playoffs if they take the right steps and acquire the right people.

It’s like Herb Brooks said, it’s not about the best players, it’s about the right players.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The Florida Panthers haven’t won a playoff round since 1996. They missed the playoffs 10 years in a row, then 6 out of 7 after that. Last year they would have missed again in a normal season.

They had a seemingly meh off-season, dumping scorers Hoffman and Dadynov and adding role players like Verhaege, Hornqvist, Hinostroza and Nuttivara.

And they are tied for first in the entire league.

The Sabres have enough assets and flexibility in place that they can easily flirt with the playoffs if they take the right steps and acquire the right people.

It’s like Herb Brooks said, it’s not about the best players, it’s about the right players.

Buying into an established coach like Q probably played a small role too. 

There are one or two Qs available to us

2 hours ago, klos1963 said:

Darcy probably has the most success of any GM in our history.  But I think he's out of hockey, he left the Coyotes for personal reasons and think he's been quiet ever since.

Fans wouldn't like him back, even though he was successful.

You sully the good name of Punch Imlach sir.   I mean come on, Rene Robert for Eddie Shack.............he wins best GM ever just for that alone. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

And Zito and his team too. It’s not just about the right players, but the right people.

I really like the Panthers example.

The Islanders too - they could have crumbled after JT left. Trotz gave them much-needed credibility, and they had a core of guys willing to buy in together. Maybe Bryson and Borgen are Pulock and Pelech. 

The Avalanche didn't fall nearly as low as us for as long, but post-ROR, Nathan MacKinnon rookie season, they weren't going in the right direction and it culminated in a 48 point season. They kept Landeskog, MacKinnon, Johnson, Zadorov around from that team but built up other areas well and somehow got it figured out, and they've made the playoffs every season since. 

Kevyn wants to do this right and I think he's smart enough to do it right 

15 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

I happen to agree with the sentiment on being angry about the void of accountability from ownership.

This is Terry's baby, he should address the fan base directly, acknowledging the catastrophe that has unfolded and informing the fans of the plan going forward.

Terry can barely put together two consecutive coherent sentences. So I wouldn’t hold my breath on this happening. He has been getting phased out on the speaking chores and Kim is steadily and increasingly taking over in this area the past few years. If we hear from anyone, it’s more likely her. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

It's so obvious to me they need an experienced coaching hire, dudacek's post and yours here outline a big reason why

8 hours ago, Billznut said:

I agree with the first half of this. We don’t know yet about the second part. Seems like we will find out over the next year or two. 

Coach may tell you a lot 

Edited by Thorny

The Carolina connection worked for the Bills.  Will it work for the Sabres?

The Bills have a significant the Carolina Panthers connection.  Beane, McDermott, and about 12 players on last years team for a start.

Interestingly what if the Sabres go in a similar Carolina direction.  Adams as GM, Karmanos as AGM and Brind'Amour as coach.  That really could be, at least on paper, a pretty good combo.  Karmanos has significant experience and Brind'Amour would likely know how to get the most from our forwards, especially Jack and Skinner. He was a Jack kind of player.  Better playmaker then scorer, but who could also score.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2021 at 9:34 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

What now?

Step 1 .  Fire the old staff and get an interim staff together.   Now completed

Step 2.  Fix the front office.  Is this even possible with Cheaper Golisano in the ownership chair?  I’d hire Rutherford for the rest of the year and go from there.

Step 3.  An honest evaluation of each player in the organization.  Interview them individually and also play as many kids as possible to see what they have if anything.  There is no benefit to seeing KO or Eakin anymore.  

They are right to shop ever single one but they better make sure on the return.  I’m less interested in picks.  I want near ready prospects or young player.  I’d almost treat the team as an expansion team. Identify 5-6 players you think are part of the core and trade the rest now or in the off-season.  I’d almost take anything for the UFAs

Step 4.  He aggressive at the deadline as both buyer and seller.  Who knows what shakes loose.

Step 5.  If Rutherford thinks KA isn’t up to the task, fire him this off-season and let Rutherford hire the next GM and coach. 

Step 6.  Get a X & O coach willing to work with the players best skills.  NHL experience a must.  Julian, Gallant, but there could be others that come available this off-season.

Well things are definitely moving in the right direction.

Step 1 - Interim Staff is making a difference.  The guys are looser and playing using their skills, especially the offensive oriented D, who have 4 goals and 5 assists in the last 3 games.  

Step 2 - Fixing the front office seems to be underway.  Yeah!  Scouting Dept changes have started (although firing and not replacing a scout seems the wrong direction), but the good news is the rumor of Rutherford and AGM Karmanos about to be hired.  If this happens, it changes the professionalism of the front office from terrible to good and gives the team instant credibility.

Step 3 - The kids are playing.  Mitts, Bryson, and Thompson are playing every night.  Adams said today that Samuelsson, Quinn, and UPL will all get a look see soon.  UFA look to be packing their bags.  Staal traded.  Jo Jo traded.  A Hall deal looks to be on the horizon soon.  Montour, Sheahan, and Rieder all seem on the market.  3 draft picks acquired so far, but we need fresh players as well.  KO has obviously read the writing on the wall and is making a case that he isn't done with a 5 game pt streak and 7 points in his last 9 games.  

Step 4 - The deadline is approaching and as discussed above, KA has already started moving assets out.  Get what you can KA.  I'm expecting 50% turnover from this year's roster to next year.  Please don't be afraid to be a buyer if the right asset comes along.

Step 5 - I'm undecided on KA as the GM.  Hall, and Staal didn't work out and I'm not sold on Eakin either.  Rieder and Sheahan have been fine but don't exactly move the needle.  He didn't fix the goaltending, get a RW or 2 and didn't balance the D.  He also should have fired RK two weeks earlier.  Still he seems to genuinely want to get better and seems to have found himself as well since firing RK (Maybe TP finally let him off the leash?).

Step 6 - ?????

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

KO has obviously read the writing on the wall and is making a case that he isn't done with a 5 game pt streak and 7 points in his last 9 games.  

More importantly, if you've noticed, he's acting like a team captain and leading. In the absence of Eichel he's stepped up and you can see him talking to guys, congratulating, rallying them, etc. basically lifting the emotional side and simply leading. Is that perhaps one of things helping this team? I don't know, but maybe.

Said it for a while and stick with it. Eichel's a crap captain and it does make a difference. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

More importantly, if you've noticed, he's acting like a team captain and leading. In the absence of Eichel he's stepped up and you can see him talking to guys, congratulating, rallying them, etc. basically lifting the emotional side and simply leading. Is that perhaps one of things helping this team? I don't know, but maybe.

Said it for a while and stick with it. Eichel's a crap captain and it does make a difference. 

There’s nothing stopping KO from doing that rallying when Eichel is in the lineup. 

- - - 

The idea of the “captaincy” is more less antiquated at this point in terms of its comparative relevance to days gone by IMO. Anyone can lead. The C often just goes to the best player nowadays - no sense attributing meaning to it that just doesn’t need to be there 

Edited by Thorny

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

On the one hand I agree with you, but on the other hand, I think a team needs more leadership than just the guy wearing the C, so I hate to pin it on Eichel, even if he shouldn’t really be the captain.

Is there a possibility that this season has been ordained as the turning point of the franchise?? Yes it has been the most disappointing season from what my expectations were but.....

1. Sabres have fired Ralphie and this interim coach actually has a clue and hopefully they don't blow this chance to get this hire right
  2. The young guys are actually starting to look like NHLrs (Mitts starting to look like the guy we drafted, The Giraffe starting to look good, Cozens isn't a bust, Borgen showed promise, Bryson looking good, Dahlin and the Jokerman looking much better as of late as a pairing.
  3. We should be getting another decent player in the draft and hopefully Quinn isn't a bust and JJ Peterka is the real deal
  4. This abomination of a season seems to have finally convinced ownership to hire some experience people in the front office
  5. Reinhart at the C position, have we had our 2C here all along??
  6. Hall and Montour might actually fetch something positive now??
  7. One win and Here Comes the Sun again

Just now, jsb said:

Is there a possibility that this season has been ordained as the turning point of the franchise?? Yes it has been the most disappointing season from what my expectations were but.....

1. Sabres have fired Ralphie and this interim coach actually has a clue and hopefully they don't blow this chance to get this hire right
  2. The young guys are actually starting to look like NHLrs (Mitts starting to look like the guy we drafted, The Giraffe starting to look good, Cozens isn't a bust, Borgen showed promise, Bryson looking good, Dahlin and the Jokerman looking much better as of late as a pairing.
  3. We should be getting another decent player in the draft and hopefully Quinn isn't a bust and JJ Peterka is the real deal
  4. This abomination of a season seems to have finally convinced ownership to hire some experience people in the front office
  5. Reinhart at the C position, have we had our 2C here all along??
  6. Hall and Montour might actually fetch something positive now??
  7. One win and Here Comes the Sun again

Your taste is music is amazing.

From the article, not my own words...

Projected NHL Players

1. Damir Zhafyarov, RW, Nizhny Novgorod-KHL

Zhafyarov is a top scorer in the KHL this season. He will turn 27 this spring, but I could see him as a useful NHL player for a few years. He’s a highly intelligent passer with a good mid-distance shot and individual skill. He’s small, but not soft, and has killed penalties at the KHL level. While he’s a good skater for a 5-foot-9 player, he doesn’t have a true dynamic top gear. But I think he has enough skill and effort in his game to be a bottom-six forward in the NHL.

2. Matt Kiersted, D, North Dakota-NCHC

Kiersted is one of the top free agents on the market this spring. He has played large minutes for arguably the best team in the country the last two seasons. He’s a very intelligent puck mover with some skill and runs North Dakota’s power play. He’s not that big or quick, but neither the size nor the quickness are so detrimental to limit him at higher levels due to the very high IQ. He should be able to defend OK versus pros while making great outlets and offensive plays. I could see him as a third-pair defenseman in the NHL.

3. Strauss Mann, G, Michigan-Big Ten

Mann was a top player in college hockey for the last two seasons, including a tremendous .939 save percentage as a sophomore, although that number is a little down this season. Mann is an intelligent goalie who can make the smart read and efficient play, but also has great quickness to make the tough save. The athleticism isn’t off the chart for a six-foot goalie, and the size will be the main question on him, but the tools are good enough to play games and provide useful minutes for a club as a No. 2 or No. 3 goalie.

Edited by Norcal

6 hours ago, Thorny said:

There’s nothing stopping KO from doing that rallying when Eichel is in the lineup. 

- - - 

The idea of the “captaincy” is more less antiquated at this point in terms of its comparative relevance to days gone by IMO. Anyone can lead. The C often just goes to the best player nowadays - no sense attributing meaning to it that just doesn’t need to be there 

I do not think this is true. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.