Now What? Setting a New Course or Rebuild 5.0?

GASabresIUFAN

What now?

Step 1 .  Fire the old staff and get an interim staff together.   Now completed

Step 2.  Fix the front office.  Is this even possible with Cheaper Golisano in the ownership chair?  I’d hire Rutherford for the rest of the year and go from there.

Step 3.  An honest evaluation of each player in the organization.  Interview them individually and also play as many kids as possible to see what they have if anything.  There is no benefit to seeing KO or Eakin anymore.  

They are right to shop ever single one but they better make sure on the return.  I’m less interested in picks.  I want near ready prospects or young player.  I’d almost treat the team as an expansion team. Identify 5-6 players you think are part of the core and trade the rest now or in the off-season.  I’d almost take anything for the UFAs

Step 4.  He aggressive at the deadline as both buyer and seller.  Who knows what shakes loose.

Step 5.  If Rutherford thinks KA isn’t up to the task, fire him this off-season and let Rutherford hire the next GM and coach. 

Step 6.  Get a X & O coach willing to work with the players best skills.  NHL experience a must.  Julian, Gallant, but there could be others that come available this off-season.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Until they fix the drafting, none of this matters. 

You know I agree long-term, but I think our prospect pool is deeper then it’s been in a while. Borgen and Bryson are just two examples.  I agree star power is lacking, but I’m hopeful for Quinn JJP and UPL.

Experienced rough on the players coach, invest in complete new drafting team, and go full scorched earth getting rid of as much dead weight as possible. Very few players I would consider as untouchable, and even with them KA should still answer the phone and do his due diligence. In other words, fix the structure and then fire sale. 
To those who will balk at this, remember when we were all fed up with being a bubble team 11 years ago? Bet we wish we could get those days back now. We have nothing to lose. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What now?

Step 2.  Fix the front office.  Is this even possible with Cheaper Golisano in the ownership chair?  I’d hire Rutherford for the rest of the year and go from there.

Step 3.  An honest evaluation of each player in the organization.  Interview them individually and also play as many kids as possible to see what they have if anything.  There is no benefit to seeing KO or Eakin anymore.  

They are right to shop ever single one but they better make sure on the return.  I’m less interested in picks.  I want near ready prospects or young player.  I’d almost treat the team as an expansion team. Identify 5-6 players you think are part of the core and trade the rest now or in the off-season.  I’d almost take anything for the UFAs

Step 4.  He aggressive at the deadline as both buyer and seller.  Who knows what shakes loose.

Step 5.  If Rutherford thinks KA isn’t up to the task, fire him this off-season and let Rutherford hire the next GM and coach. 

Step 6.  Get a X & O coach willing to work with the players best skills.  NHL experience a must.  Julian, Gallant, but there could be others that come available this off-season.

If the Sabres don't hire one of the guys that is already out there right now, and we are like the lone suitor, they aren't going to hire them in the offseason 

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Don't some of those hirings have a lot to do with drafting?

Edited by Thorny

7 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

Experienced rough on the players coach, invest in complete new drafting team, and go full scorched earth getting rid of as much dead weight as possible. Very few players I would consider as untouchable, and even with them KA should still answer the phone and do his due diligence. In other words, fix the structure and then fire sale. 
To those who will balk at this, remember when we were all fed up with being a bubble team 11 years ago? Bet we wish we could get those days back now. We have nothing to lose. 

I don't know if Adams can do this. He has no experience as a GM and this is a big mess to fix

45 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You know I agree long-term, but I think our prospect pool is deeper then it’s been in a while. Borgen and Bryson are just two examples.  I agree star power is lacking, but I’m hopeful for Quinn JJP and UPL.

I'm no gamer, but I think it's hilarious to see in EA Sports NHL 21 that Quinn is rated at the bottom of the virtually every player drafted!  He was a slight reach at #8 especially when other quality players were drafted after him.  Hopefully our draft "gurus" actually got one correct for a change!

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

Make amends with LaFontaine. That’s where this all started going downhill. Well, unless you count the Pegulas buying the team as the start. Which would be fair to say as well

I agree that everything started to sour with the Lafontaine thing.  Still a lot of unanswered questions surrounding his departure.  But I think that ship has sailed.  I don't see them bringing him, or anyone worthwhile for that matter, in to run the show.  TP doesn't seem to get along well with others.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, John Tucker said:

I agree that everything started to sour with the Lafontaine thing.  Still a lot of unanswered questions surrounding his departure.  But I think that ship has sailed.  I don't see them bringing him, or anyone worthwhile for that matter, in to run the show.  TP doesn't seem to get along well with others.

I think Pat put a curse on the team. We need him back to break it

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, John Tucker said:

It may of sailed as a job but they can still find a way to make nice and bring him back for an honor... Paddy Day next March 17th or something

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, I-90 W said:

That's the thing isn't it. Playoff bubble teams weren't good enough. Everyone wanted more. Change was needed. Well. 

Immediate future they should play the kids that are ready now.

Then, bring up some of the kids in Rochester for a block of games to gauge the future. 

Either stay interim or bring in Bruce Boudreau who I think can get the most out of this team the fastest. 

IF they stay interim and hire a coach after the season I hope they look at:

Rod Brind'Amour (not likely)

Luke Richardson

Nate Leaman

Serious question:

Is there a former Sabre who could come in as Team President and restore credibility to this front office?

Can anyone fill that role? 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

This is hugely important, but an even more important stage with the "rebuild" is...

...not doing anything stupid and NOT moving big names off this roster until a competent HC comes in and we see what he can do with the group AS IS.

I'm talking mostly about Reinhart, Eichel, Dahlin...names like that.

But THAT assumes we hire a competent NHL CALIBER head coach who we can trust.

I am deathly afraid of them getting YET ANOTHER UNPROVEN NHL LEVEL COACH in here, like Nate Leaman.

He *could* work out, but why not bring in a proven NHL level coach?  

The fact that none of the Big 3 names were mentioned today is really frustrating.

I don't think any of the 3 will be hired.

Just remember, if names like Reinhart and Eichel leave the team, equally good players ain't gonna be coming back in a trade.  That's number 1.  Number 2: the easiest, quickest path to success is to stay put with the current core, but give them competent coaching and direction.

If they start moving Eichel and Reinhart, we will be back to where we were in the tank years.  It'll set this all back 5 years.

We've already endured enough pain and suffering.

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What now?

“If Rutherford thinks KA isn’t up to the task, fire him this off-season and let Rutherford hire the next GM and coach.”

Unimpressed with Adams this morning... Sat there like a dope after his statement waiting for questions instead of asking “Who’s got the first question?”... Not a confident leader and not smart enough... Compare him to men of vision like Beane or McDermott... Fire him and get a leader with a builder’s vision beyond “be proud to wear a Sabres jersey”... It will take bringing proven hockey winners to Buffalo... who exude confidence and pride... Winners ready to take the next step in their careers... 

Just came in from running some errands.  Had the Sirius NHL channel on.  At the beginning of the Boomer & Hahn show, they spent the first 1/2 hour discussing the Sabres.  Jim "Boomer" Gordon absolutely destroyed the "organization".  Called them toxic multiple times, said the whole thing needs to be stripped bare, questioned why Kim Pegula can make regular media appearances regarding the Bills on the NFLN and other media outlets, but her and Terry are nowhere to be found to talk about the Sabres, said changing the HC or some players will make no difference, said it is his job to follow and comment on hockey and rarely gets angry, but the Sabres organization makes him angry, etc...

And a common theme over listening to the station on and off over the last 2 hours...everyone feels bad for the Sabres fanbase....of course except Kim who feels they know more than we do. 

I came back home and the whole situation just pisses me off.

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Believer said:

“If Rutherford thinks KA isn’t up to the task, fire him this off-season and let Rutherford hire the next GM and coach.”

Unimpressed with Adams this morning... Sat there like a dope after his statement waiting for questions instead of asking “Who’s got the first question?”... Not a confident leader and not smart enough... Compare him to men of vision like Beane or McDermott... Fire him and get a leader with a builder’s vision beyond “be proud to wear a Sabres jersey”... It will take bringing proven hockey winners to Buffalo... who exude confidence and pride... Winners ready to take the next step in their careers... 

It's a Zoom meeting. He knows who has the next question. He's waiting for them to bring up the call.

14 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Just came in from running some errands.  Had the Sirius NHL channel on.  At the beginning of the Boomer & Hahn show, they spent the first 1/2 hour discussing the Sabres.  Jim "Boomer" Gordon absolutely destroyed the "organization".  Called them toxic multiple times, said the whole thing needs to be stripped bare, questioned why Kim Pegula can make regular media appearances regarding the Bills on the NFLN and other media outlets, but her and Terry are nowhere to be found to talk about the Sabres, said changing the HC or some players will make no difference, said it is his job to follow and comment on hockey and rarely gets angry, but the Sabres organization makes him angry, etc...

And a common theme over listening to the station on and on over the last 2 hours...everyone feels bad for the Sabres fanbase....of course except Kim who feels they know more than we do. 

I came back home and the whole situation just pisses me off.

I happen to agree with the sentiment on being angry about the void of accountability from ownership.

This is Terry's baby, he should address the fan base directly, acknowledging the catastrophe that has unfolded and informing the fans of the plan going forward.

• Like (+1) 1

No matter which "path" they choose (I think the sticking point between potential paths is the presence of Reinhart/Eichel), if they don't bring more wins in 2021-22 than we've seen in a long time, they are executing that path poorly. Even if they blow it up, they should be able to put together a team that can flirt with a wild card spot and is poised for an influx of talent immediately. IF they do it right.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.