What style coach does this team need?

I-90 W

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I'd put it at more like 30%.  

Team defense is atrocious.     

How much was bad goaltending? How much was injuries to guys like Borgen and McCabe? How much was do to youth? I’d also like to see the numbers split into RK vs Granato especially for Dahlin and Jokiharju.  

If I’m reading your numbers  correctly Bryson was the best of the young D.  

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How much was bad goaltending? How much was injuries to guys like Borgen and McCabe? How much was do to youth? I’d also like to see the numbers split into RK vs Granato especially for Dahlin and Jokiharju.  

If I’m reading your numbers  correctly Bryson was the best of the young D.  

I've posted the details elsewhere, but they had a better CorsiFor%, gave up fewer shots, and fewer high danger chances under RK.    Somewhere in the middle of pack league-wise.    Under Granato they sank to near the bottom of the league in those metrics.       They were losing under RK because of a league worst shooting % and save % at even strength.     Their possession metrics were actually pretty good under RK, they just couldn't find the back of the net or get a save.

So what improved under Granato?   High danger chances for, shooting % and save %.  That's it really.     

IMO they looked faster under Granato, more engaged, quicker on pucks, etc... that's all good, however they still gave up way to much defensively.     That needs to change.... and without sacrificing offense.    Good team defense requires buy-in up and down the lineup.   

Shot blocking, winning battles in your own end, 2nd/3rd/4th effort, never quitting on plays, etc... has to permeate throughout the lineup.     There has to be a sense of urgency when you don't posses the puck.    They need a coach who can teach these young guys how to play team defense and continue to play with pace on the offensive side of the puck.  

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

So, this is a super disreputable publication (can I even call it that?) but that sure would be fun to talk about.  Torts as HC, Davidson as Assistant GM/Senior Advisor, Karmanos, and Adams trade Jack Eichel to Chris Drury and James Dolan.  Wild.

13 minutes ago, Curt said:

Thinking about this a little.  I think Davidson would be a good guy to bring in as a Senior Advisor type position.

Someone tell me I’m wrong.

Expect he'd be better to bring in than Rutherford would, truth be told, even though he doesn't have any championships to his name.

He is extremely well respected in the league's inner circles and could go a long way towards removing the yokel vibe that the Sabres seem to have built up the past decade.

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.