Don Granato Interim Coach for Sabres/Ellis and Girardi to the Bench. Steve Smith Fired

Brawndo

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We don't agree. Botterill had a CHL bias and actively ignored CHL players. Fine you want it to be round 2-7 than let's do that, 0-15under botterill. Adams, on the other hand, drafted JJ Peterka who was a great pickup in that spot and then the other 3 picks were a kid from OJHL, a kid from Sweden, and a kid from the Czek league. No USHL. No NCAA. No USDP. 

So you can say nothing changed but in that last draft, seems pretty noticeable that NO USA kids were taken unless you count a Buffalo Junior Sabre that they drafted because they know him and it was a 5th rounder so whatever. 7 of Botterill's picks come from the USHL, US HS, NCAA. 10 come from the various Euro leagues. Adams again took NO USA kids. Matt Costentini is the one we might include in that. Seems different to me, guess I will know in 4 months when they have more than 5 picks. 

This isn't my argument. There is one specific aspect of the drafting that has held course that I am speaking about, I am not trying to say the draft strategy is exactly the same in all ways.

Anyways I agree it's wait and see. 

Edited by Thorny

TM drafted 12 players from the CHL outside the 1st rd and only 2nd rd pick Brendan Lemieux is a full time NHL player.  That's it.  He drafted 5 Euros and found Olofsson and Asplund.  I understand why Jbot and now KA avoided the CHL after the 1st rd.  TM also drafted 5 US kids.  Borgen  (4th rd) and Casey Fitzgerald (3rd rd) are his best US picks.  

The problem with the CHL kids after the 2nd rd is that they age out of the CHL at 20.  This means that kids who need more development have to be signed and paid by the NHL team to continue their development.  That isn't true for Euros and College kids.  They can play into their 20's before being signed and therefore they develop at a bare minimum of expense to the NHL team.  

In a perfect world, I'd like to see the ECHL reformed into a true baseball type AA league with guys 19-23 and the NHL team sending most of the prospects there first to adjust to pro hockey, especially the later round prospects.   

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 3

I  deleted my last political rant.  It is not appropriate for the board.

However...

I am tired of people twisting every gaffe by ownership as a reason to slam their character.  You don't like how he made his money?  Fine.  I am not thrilled either.  But I understand why he did it.

There are lots of good reasons to be angry with the Pegulas, how they have handled the team, how the team has performed, etc.  But that is a reflection of their hockey management acumen, not their character.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I want to know what automaton Brawndo has that scours the Internet for information and posts it here for us.  There's no way a human can live a life and be that responsive.  🙂

Awesome stuff as always Brawndo, "You got what SabreSpace needs."

21 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

TM drafted 12 players from the CHL outside the 1st rd and only 2nd rd pick Brendan Lemieux is a full time NHL player.  That's it.  He drafted 5 Euros and found Olofsson and Asplund.  I understand why Jbot and now KA avoided the CHL after the 1st rd.  TM also drafted 5 US kids.  Borgen  (4th rd) and Casey Fitzgerald (3rd rd) are his best US picks.  

The problem with the CHL kids after the 2nd rd is that they age out of the CHL at 20.  This means that kids who need more development have to be signed and paid by the NHL team to continue their development.  That isn't true for Euros and College kids.  They can play into their 20's before being signed and therefore they develop at a bare minimum of expense to the NHL team.  

In a perfect world, I'd like to see the ECHL reformed into a true baseball type AA league with guys 19-23 and the NHL team sending most of the prospects there first to adjust to pro hockey, especially the later round prospects.   

Ya, it’s more about how actively Botterill appeared to cling to the strategy of staying out of the league after round 1. The are merits to the “leaning” but to ignore the league completely in later rounds seems ill-advised. I’ve been wondering if we’ll stay that adherent to that particular Botterill strategy under Adams. I’d be surprised if Adams didn’t go 2 for 2 in following that particular aspect considering our scouting department, but we’ll see. 

Edited by Thorny

56 minutes ago, LTS said:

I want to know what automaton Brawndo has that scours the Internet for information and posts it here for us.  There's no way a human can live a life and be that responsive.  🙂

Awesome stuff as always Brawndo, "You got what SabreSpace needs."

Nurse:Doctor we have a Code Blue in Room 612!

Me:Hang on a second I’m posting on SabreSpace 

• Haha (+1) 5

On 3/18/2021 at 1:09 PM, LGR4GM said:

We don't agree. Botterill had a CHL bias and actively ignored CHL players. Fine you want it to be round 2-7 than let's do that, 0-15under botterill. Adams, on the other hand, drafted JJ Peterka who was a great pickup in that spot and then the other 3 picks were a kid from OJHL, a kid from Sweden, and a kid from the Czek league. No USHL. No NCAA. No USDP. 

So you can say nothing changed but in that last draft, seems pretty noticeable that NO USA kids were taken unless you count a Buffalo Junior Sabre that they drafted because they know him and it was a 5th rounder so whatever. 7 of Botterill's picks come from the USHL, US HS, NCAA. 10 come from the various Euro leagues. Adams again took NO USA kids. Matt Costentini is the one we might include in that. Seems different to me, guess I will know in 4 months when they have more than 5 picks. 

How is Jbot 0 for 15?  Isn't Bryson a Jbot pick? Aren't Johnson and Portillo doing very well in college and have bright futures? Aren't Samuelsson, UPL and Laaksonen all doing well for Rochester and look to have NHL futures sooner then later? How does that equate to 0 - 15.  Isn't the goal of the draft to find future NHL players? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.