Don Granato Interim Coach for Sabres/Ellis and Girardi to the Bench. Steve Smith Fired

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, SDS said:

Both of us are just asking where this came from. 

It was just a one-off comment by a poster or posters. There's not even smoke here. It was a thought.

You're fine, but apparently for nfreeman, even the thought is fodder to distort and twist and try to embarrass.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

You got it. If it's Leaman it's a clear Terry hire. He's all about amateur hockey development in the U.S. Unfortunately, he's brought the a-word the our beloved NHL franchise. If hired, it cements our status as a non-NHL entity. We're not in the ***** league anymore!

Almost every single hire they've made staffing wise the last few years has been USA hockey. They have a type. Drafting naturally also shifts that way. 

Oh, and lack of NHL experience a big thing with the hires, too, can't forget that. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Dahlin could use some Dan Girardi. 

Adams steadfastly refuses to throw people under the bus, and I admire that.

But it was pretty clear that he thought the Steve Smith/our defence corps combination was an issue

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Almost every single hire is USA hockey, seriously, almost every hire we've seen in the last few years. And the drafting is similar. They have a type. 

Oh, and lack of NHL experience a big thing. 

The drafting was until this past draft. Quinn, JJ both outside that US sphere. 

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, darksabre said:

There are so many other things that need to happen. 

Not only just that. The move literally does not reflect positively in any way. ANYONE could have seen it needed to happen, and long ago. 

There's no positive from it. 

Only the Steve Smith thing was a glimmer. Even that so woefully past due. 

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The drafting was until this past draft. Quinn, JJ both outside that US sphere. 

No. The theme was "no chl guys after round 1" and that held

Botterill took Cozens, and did draft euros

They aren't going to draft CHL after round 1 because it was the system they were using under Botterill and clearly think they can get away employing far less scouts. 

They won't even have scouting for the mid tiers. Botterill's system allows them to save $ there's no reason they won't continue that route especially considering their entire staff is USA hockey except for Devine I guess. 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

You got it. If it's Leaman it's a clear Terry hire. He's all about amateur hockey development in the U.S. Unfortunately, he's brought the a-word the our beloved NHL franchise. If hired, it cements our status as a non-NHL entity. We're not in the ***** league anymore!

This 100%.  

15 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Not only just that. The move literally does not reflect positively in any way. ANYONE could have seen it needed to happen, and long ago. 

There's no positive from it. 

Only the Steve Smith thing was a glimmer. Even that so woefully past due. 

A possible front office expansion was also a positive 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Brawndo said:

I don't think it means anything but I'd take Torts. I just want to watch winning hockey, even if it's for a while.

Even if he and his message don't last. Maybe it'll get the expectations and aims of this woebegone franchise on a new trajectory, and remind them what winning feels like. 

Just now, Brawndo said:

A possible front office expansion was also a positive 

Was this assistant GM?

I believe the Sabres are the only team in the league without one? Hang a banner lol 

Just now, Thorny said:

I don't think it means anything but I'd take Torts. I just want to watch winning hockey, even if it's for a while.

Even if he and his message don't last. Maybe it'll get the expectations and aims of this woebegone franchise on a new trajectory, and remind them what winning feels like. 

Torts and Superstars do not mix, if the plan is to move on from Jack he’s a good candidate 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Torts and Superstars do not mix, if the plan is to move on from Jack he’s a good candidate 

Well that would also be terrible then. If they trade Jack they have no idea what they are doing anyways

I'm sure Torts has had success with stars before? 

That's why I mentioned "even if his message wears off". Maybe his specific message would, but maybe the grander idea at stake, re-writing how the franchise thinks about accountability, can be permanently shifted 

Edited by Thorny

Just now, IKnowPhysics said:

I know in my heart of hearts that Torts is not a long term solution, but damned if I don't want someone to just simply yell at these players like an angry father for the remainder of the broken season.

Yellers succeed despite of the yelling, not because of it. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I think they are hiring Leaman and before ppl freak out, the guy has something like 15-20 years of coaching experience and at least 10 as a head coach. That doesn't mean it will translate to the NHL but he is certainly more qualified than Krueger was. 

Maybe he'll bring his assistant coach with him?

https://friars.com/sports/mens-ice-hockey/roster#sidearm-roster-coaches

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I feel bad for you if you think Ralph was the problem or this firing fixes anything. There should be no joy. It's like taking drugs, or so I hear. Eventually you need more. And that more? I'm waiting.

I feel bad for you PA. Actually, I don't. Your pattern is predictable and boring. The way you condescend is part of it. 

@spndnchz I hope that is a more palatable response. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.