Don Granato Interim Coach for Sabres/Ellis and Girardi to the Bench. Steve Smith Fired

Brawndo

Was it ever mentioned why Granato was brought on the staff? Did he have any connection to Krueger? I know Smith and Krueger coached in Edmonton but I never heard any connection between Krueger and Granato.  I get the sense that Granato isn’t too impressed with the way Ralph handled this team.

41 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I get the sense that Granato isn’t too impressed with the way Ralph handled this team.

Ya think?

As to how he was selected, I suspect that might have been influenced by KA, who was a long-serving guy in the organization.

Edited by Doohickie

I say this about Okposo:  He's finding ways to be useful.  He works hard.  He was part of a great shut-down line last year.  This year he's slid up due to injuries to the top line.  He doesn't look out of place.  He's one of the few Sabres who plays, and who's always played, with a physical attitude.  He had a life-threatening injury that took over a year to recover from and he still gives his all most nights.  I think this year his past injury is finally behind him and he's showing he's still a solid player, even if he's not worth what we're paying him.  Every team has a contract or two like that.  He's ours.  But he's doing all he can to provide as much value as he can.  I got nothing against him.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Next year I send Okposo to Rochester until about game 50 and then he becomes a potential call up. As we've seen both this year and last, once the defensive style takes hold in an NHL season he seems to suddenly start putting up points. 

And then the logical, reality based answer to KO next season is ... ?

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

But at what cost?  That's the rub.

The Leafs (Shanahan) got rid of some contracts and paid the price and in the meantime drafted some key players. Patience by management led them to a very decent team in time.

Pay the price and get rid of him....Skinner too. That Skinner contract is ridiculous. Retain 1.5m and deal him.

The thing is, the mind set can't be to win the cup in the next two or so years. I know the fan base is tired of waiting but the team isn't close to being a contender and patience is required. 

Get rid of the bad contracts, draft and develop with patience, treat the players properly and while it might be hard to attract free agents, once players play there, it will make them easier to keep (re-sign).

I know some fans won't like this but the truth of the matter is, patience is required right now.

33 minutes ago, Ducky said:

The Leafs (Shanahan) got rid of some contracts and paid the price and in the meantime drafted some key players. Patience by management led them to a very decent team in time.

Pay the price and get rid of him....Skinner too. That Skinner contract is ridiculous. Retain 1.5m and deal him.

The thing is, the mind set can't be to win the cup in the next two or so years. I know the fan base is tired of waiting but the team isn't close to being a contender and patience is required. 

Get rid of the bad contracts, draft and develop with patience, treat the players properly and while it might be hard to attract free agents, once players play there, it will make them easier to keep (re-sign).

I know some fans won't like this but the truth of the matter is, patience is required right now.

Sadly we have to get to the playoffs next year; the last thing Buffalo needs is another playoff drought record.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/17/2021 at 8:59 AM, Pimlach said:

I called Granato as interim.  

I sure hope they bring in an experienced NHL coach. 

Maybe they could also consider bringing in his sister Cammi as an assistant coach? Make it a family affair.

j/k

Edited by Crosschecking
Spelling

7 hours ago, Ducky said:

The mindset doesn't have to be "Cup" next year but it assuredly has to be "playoffs"

• Like (+1) 2

I was toying with starting a new thread but there are so many started for reasons that are already covered so I will just ask here: do you think that the success that Granato is enjoying to be a good or bad thing? One wonders if it will lead the Pegulas to go cheap and just keep Granato who is already employed and I assume at a reasonable rate. Obviously a coach like Boubreau Julien or Torts will not come cheaply.  And a argument can be made how would any other new coach do any better then what we are seeing now?  The team is slowly changing back into the kind of team we long for and this without some of our best players. One can only imagine how good we may be with a healthy Jack,Cozens, McCabe Borgen back in there. The big question then becomes what is best for them team long-term? Do they take the chance that Granato is capable and give him at least next year? Or do they move now while there is a choice of some pretty good coaches?  I am kind of on the fence here...love to see any of the three I mentioned but Granato seems to have a grip on the exact style of hockey we need to pay to win (and it is fun to watch too). Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

I was toying with starting a new thread but there are so many started for reasons that are already covered so I will just ask here: do you think that the success that Granato is enjoying to be a good or bad thing? One wonders if it will lead the Pegulas to go cheap and just keep Granato who is already employed and I assume at a reasonable rate. Obviously a coach like Boubreau Julien or Torts will not come cheaply.  And a argument can be made how would any other new coach do any better then what we are seeing now?  The team is slowly changing back into the kind of team we long for and this without some of our best players. One can only imagine how good we may be with a healthy Jack,Cozens, McCabe Borgen back in there. The big question then becomes what is best for them team long-term? Do they take the chance that Granato is capable and give him at least next year? Or do they move now while there is a choice of some pretty good coaches?  I am kind of on the fence here...love to see any of the three I mentioned but Granato seems to have a grip on the exact style of hockey we need to pay to win (and it is fun to watch too). Thoughts?

No go hire a coach with more experience. We are seeing regression towards the mean as opposed to the dumpster fire that was Krueger. Also Ullmark has a lot to do with the rebound. It's like have your choice between 3 dinners, rotten food (krueger), hour old mcdonalds (granato), and filet and lobster cooked to order (experienced coach). Sure the McDonalds is great if you were just offered rotten food but that doesn't mean you ignore the nice dinner you got invited too. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No go hire a coach with more experience. We are seeing regression towards the mean as opposed to the dumpster fire that was Krueger. Also Ullmark has a lot to do with the rebound. It's like have your choice between 3 dinners, rotten food (krueger), hour old mcdonalds (granato), and filet and lobster cooked to order (experienced coach). Sure the McDonalds is great if you were just offered rotten food but that doesn't mean you ignore the nice dinner you got invited too. 

What is the evidence that it’s hours old McDonald’s food?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Well let's see who's available. One thing about the "Holy Trinity" (Boudreau, Julien and Gallant) is they get you to the playoffs but never win it all and get fired eventually. Most of us would probably take that deal right now. Julien at least won one cup with the Bruins. Then there's the college route. I'll keep an open mind with Granato. If he can cobble some wins even after the trade deadline playing backups, he's earned consideration. Most of our remaining games are against teams in the playoff hunt and supposedly ours is such a tough division. Being over .500 playing scrubs is an accomplishment.

17 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well let's see who's available. One thing about the "Holy Trinity" (Boudreau, Julien and Gallant) is they get you to the playoffs but never win it all and get fired eventually. Most of us would probably take that deal right now. Julien at least won one cup with the Bruins. Then there's the college route. I'll keep an open mind with Granato. If he can cobble some wins even after the trade deadline playing backups, he's earned consideration. Most of our remaining games are against teams in the playoff hunt and supposedly ours is such a tough division. Being over .500 playing scrubs is an accomplishment.

19 hours ago, SDS said:

What is the evidence that it’s hours old McDonald’s food?

The receipt aka shot share metrics and xgf%

27 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The receipt aka shot share metrics and xgf%

Don’t you think that they have looked better though?

Even if the xGF% doesn’t reflect it, they seem to be playing looser and with more confidence.

Maybe it’s just some combination of facing bad teams/goaltending, Ullmark being back, extra pep from the new coach, and the results of puck luck coloring my perception a bit.  I don’t know.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.