Don Granato Interim Coach for Sabres/Ellis and Girardi to the Bench. Steve Smith Fired

Brawndo

19 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How much chance will Granato have to change things? With games every other day can they even practice?

I doubt it will take much “changing” to throw Skinner in the top 6, every game until the end of the season.

Edited by Zamboni

44 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How much chance will Granato have to change things? With games every other day can they even practice?

I would be shocked if any significant system changes are implemented at all.

Player usage is another story.

12 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Steve Smith has basically ruined Dahlin. That kid is a ***** shell of what he was at 17 in the SHL. His creativity and confidence has been vampired away by Steve Smith forcing him to play a game that he simply can't currently as a 20 year old in the NHL. ***** steve smith. 

Yes indeed.  I’m liking Girardi having some time with Dahlin.  The kid needs another perspective.  

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

Matt Ellis has been trying as hard as he can his entire life.

Lots of shots at Matt Ellis.  He is the kind of guy who just might be a good coach.  Just like players, young coaches learn and develop and sometimes their career comes down to opportunities and the right players.  

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Lots of shots at Matt Ellis.  He is the kind of guy who just might be a good coach.  Just like players, young coaches learn and develop and sometimes their career comes down to opportunities and the right players.  

The shots at Matt Ellis are all in good fun, I think.  He is a part of board lore as the quintessential generic fringe NHLer.  He is the thing that just barely gets the job done.  Not the best mind you, but he is cheap, he won’t quit and he is just always there.

8 minutes ago, Curt said:

The shots at Matt Ellis are all in good fun, I think.  He is a part of board lore as the quintessential generic fringe NHLer.  He is the thing that just barely gets the job done.  Not the best mind you, but he is cheap, he won’t quit and he is just always there.

Matt Ellis is the Matt Ellis of Sabrespace memes. 

That said, I like Matt a lot and the memes don't reflect on my opinion of his ability or character. If I could have a team consisting of 3/4s of Matt Ellises and a few talented guys, I would do it. His work ethic, drive and character is second to none.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

That said, I like Matt a lot and the memes don't reflect on my opinion of his ability or character. If I could have a team consisting of 3/4s of Matt Ellises and a few talented guys, I would do it. His work ethic, drive and character is second to none.

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart

Olofsson-Cozens-Ellis

Ellis-Ruotsalainen-Quinn

Ellis-Ellis-Ellis

I'd live.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Is this real? 

Available for purchase.  I heard the instigators say something about Ellis having a t-shirt with his face on it.  So I googled and found a plethora of Matt Ellis merch.  I have no idea why it exists.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Curt said:

Available for purchase.  I heard the instigators say something about Ellis having a t-shirt with his face on it.  So I googled and found a plethora of Matt Ellis merch.  I have no idea why it exists.

It’s incredible. 

I almost want a “Dont touch me unless you’re Matt Ellis” shirt. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Holy chit.  That's amazing!  😄

My fave:

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1ci15UO5rCwDPVPCZ2

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Is this real? 

No, it's Iowa.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Woman's Tee:

"My Ideal Weight is Matt Ellis on top of me"

-Serious Puck Bunny

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Agree on Matt and his character and are work ethic. It's what got him as far as he got. By the way, I can say the same for our GM.

• Like (+1) 3

19 hours ago, Thorny said:

I was talking about how they did, and have continued to draft. The one draft we have seen from Adams followed the Botterill model to a T. No CHL guys outside round 1 was the Botterill thing, because of the development time thing you correctly pointed out, which he stated wasn't as much of a deal in the first cause there was more certainty with those players. That was the trend that continued. 

You are absolutely correct one draft from KA isn't enough in itself to say the strategy will continue. Even if that's what I think is happening based on a combination of things I mentioned. But I was taking issue with your post that supposed that Adams had proved differently or changed the trend. So far, trend has continued 

It isn't a trend. Botterill literally only ever drafted 1 CHL player. The trend was for him not to draft them at all. 1 out of 18 versus 1 out of 5. 

I don't agree and the good news is we have a draft in a few months to actually learn about the Sabres draft philosophy which is kinda scary considering they 8 scouts listed and one is specifically the college scout. 

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

It isn't a trend. Botterill literally only ever drafted 1 CHL player. The trend was for him not to draft them at all. 1 out of 18 versus 1 out of 5. 

I don't agree and the good news is we have a draft in a few months to actually learn about the Sabres draft philosophy which is kinda scary considering they 8 scouts listed and one is specifically the college scout. 

Botterill said he leans other leagues in later rounds not the first. He selected a chl player round 1. The meme was always for after round 1. 

Your premise is inherently faulty. You are claiming Adams selecting 1 out of 5 somehow proves something, yet saying that when Botterill picked a CHL player with 1/3 of our first picks, that doesn’t prove Botterill takes CHL guys in the first.

Especially when Rasmus Dahlin was not a question. So Botts doesn’t take CHL guys with our first pick cause he selected Casey Mittelstadt one year? 

Poll the board - it was after the 1st not all chl all the time 

- - - 

Anyways, it doesn't really matter what the narrative is/was. I know you think it was "no chl players" but either way we agree he was "no chl players" in rounds 2-7, right? ( I know you think rd 1 as well). And he was obviously more stringent to the no chl thing in later rounds as he *did* take Cozens, that happened. 

In his first draft, KA picked no CHL players after round 1. I'm interested to see if that continues. Like you said, we'll get to see soon. But if he picks CHL in round 1 and then not in rounds 2-7 again, for like the 5th time in row franchise wise, I'm going to keep saying it's a thing. Because, well, it has been. 

Edited by Thorny

Out of interest, given the assistant coach has been made the head coach - how much real change are we expecting? I would imagine Don had an input on the style of the Sabres play and therefore I expect them to broadly play the same way - e.g. Dahlin passing to wingers and not skating with the puck.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

Out of interest, given the assistant coach has been made the head coach - how much real change are we expecting? I would imagine Don had an input on the style of the Sabres play and therefore I expect them to broadly play the same way - e.g. Dahlin passing to wingers and not skating with the puck.

I'm definitely worried about this. I was kinda disappointed we went with an already on staff interim but we'll have to see what happens with the interview process

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Botterill said he leans other leagues in later rounds not the first. He selected a chl player round 1. The meme was always for after round 1. 

Your premise is inherently faulty. You are claiming Adams selecting 1 out of 5 somehow proves something, yet saying that when Botterill picked a CHL player with 1/3 of our first picks, that doesn’t prove Botterill takes CHL guys in the first.

Especially when Rasmus Dahlin was not a question. So Botts doesn’t take CHL guys with our first pick cause he selected Casey Mittelstadt one year? 

Poll the board - it was after the 1st not all chl all the time 

- - - 

Anyways, it doesn't really matter what the narrative is/was. I know you think it was "no chl players" but either way we agree he was "no chl players" in rounds 2-7, right? ( I know you think rd 1 as well). And he was obviously more stringent to the no chl thing in later rounds as he *did* take Cozens, that happened. 

In his first draft, KA picked no CHL players after round 1. I'm interested to see if that continues. Like you said, we'll get to see soon. But if he picks CHL in round 1 and then not in rounds 2-7 again, for like the 5th time in row franchise wise, I'm going to keep saying it's a thing. Because, well, it has been. 

We don't agree. Botterill had a CHL bias and actively ignored CHL players. Fine you want it to be round 2-7 than let's do that, 0-15under botterill. Adams, on the other hand, drafted JJ Peterka who was a great pickup in that spot and then the other 3 picks were a kid from OJHL, a kid from Sweden, and a kid from the Czek league. No USHL. No NCAA. No USDP. 

So you can say nothing changed but in that last draft, seems pretty noticeable that NO USA kids were taken unless you count a Buffalo Junior Sabre that they drafted because they know him and it was a 5th rounder so whatever. 7 of Botterill's picks come from the USHL, US HS, NCAA. 10 come from the various Euro leagues. Adams again took NO USA kids. Matt Costentini is the one we might include in that. Seems different to me, guess I will know in 4 months when they have more than 5 picks. 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I'm definitely worried about this. I was kinda disappointed we went with an already on staff interim but we'll have to see what happens with the interview process

Truth is options were few unless you stuck with RK.

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We don't agree. Botterill had a CHL bias and actively ignored CHL players. Fine you want it to be round 2-7 than let's do that, 0-15under botterill. Adams, on the other hand, drafted JJ Peterka who was a great pickup in that spot and then the other 3 picks were a kid from OJHL, a kid from Sweden, and a kid from the Czek league. No USHL. No NCAA. No USDP. 

So you can say nothing changed but in that last draft, seems pretty noticeable that NO USA kids were taken unless you count a Buffalo Junior Sabre that they drafted because they know him and it was a 5th rounder so whatever. 7 of Botterill's picks come from the USHL, US HS, NCAA. 10 come from the various Euro leagues. Adams again took NO USA kids. Matt Costentini is the one we might include in that. Seems different to me, guess I will know in 4 months when they have more than 5 picks. 

I think we are getting a bit needlessly sidetracked.

It doesn't really matter what the bias was or wasn't, what the narrative was or wasn't - we can just look at the results. The "no chl" thing you are claiming to be a thing is really close to accurate, but slightly off as we did select one CHL player under Botterill. I understand that KA selecting Quinn proves he's not a "no chl" guy but that was never the threshold of my argument, and it never even was with Botterill. 

My argument, that the Sabres haven't selected from the CHL outside the first round for the last 4 drafts, is a fact. It's an established thing that has happened. It's been a trend for 4 years. I am interested to see if that continues. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.