Don Granato Interim Coach for Sabres/Ellis and Girardi to the Bench. Steve Smith Fired

Brawndo

16 minutes ago, Thorny said:

But we do have data. We have a whole host of hires that make up a clearly identifiable trend. 

It's less a judgement on my part of Leaman, and more a judgement of what that hire means to ownership and the potential hire's specific fit at this time and place for this organization. 

You got it. If it's Leaman it's a clear Terry hire. He's all about amateur hockey development in the U.S. Unfortunately, he's brought the a-word the our beloved NHL franchise. If hired, it cements our status as a non-NHL entity. We're not in the ***** league anymore!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I won't be happy with Leaman but it seems stupid to hate him immediately. 

To quote Holmes “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

John had a lot of deep thoughts. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Firing was the easy part. We've done that. The next step is our Achilles heel. They are running out of chances on this hiring thingy. My confidence in Pegula and company is pretty low to say the least but let's still believe in miracles for now.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Radar said:

Firing was the easy part. We've done that. The next step is our Achilles heel. They are running out of chances on this hiring thingy. My confidence in Pegula and company is pretty low to say the least but let's still believe in miracles for now.

😳 is there an expiration date we should know about?

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

😳 is there an expiration date we should know about?

Some have been suggesting that if the Buffalo franchise continues to be a dumpster fire, the NHL could get involved. Are the Sabres that important? I don't know. But there could be a practical limit on how many kicks at the can the Pegulas get. As Dan Rather used to say, underline/bold/italicize that word.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Some have been suggesting that if the Buffalo franchise continues to be a dumpster fire, the NHL could get involved. Are the Sabres that important? I don't know. But there could be a practical limit on how many kicks at the can the Pegulas get. As Dan Rather used to say, underline/bold/italicize that word.

The NHL is going to come in and reprimand the Pegulas for following their advise? 🤔

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

This is nuts.  The other owners, and therefore the league, are not going to require TP to hire/not hire anyone. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

This is nuts.  The other owners, and therefore the league, are not going to require TP to hire/not hire anyone. 

You must have missed the discussion yesterday. "Get involved" was presented as the league pressuring the Pegulas to sell if an important franchise (and thus market) keeps falling apart.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I think they are hiring Leaman and before ppl freak out, the guy has something like 15-20 years of coaching experience and at least 10 as a head coach. That doesn't mean it will translate to the NHL but he is certainly more qualified than Krueger was. 

That’s what I’ve thought too.  He seems like a decent option, but he is still an unproven experiment.  I think the time for experimenting is past.  This team desperately needs stability .

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, PASabreFan said:

You must have missed the discussion yesterday. "Get involved" was presented as the league pressuring the Pegulas to sell if an important franchise (and thus market) keeps falling apart.

I missed this. Who reported this?

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

What does this mean?  Who, exactly, is saying the NHL is pressuring TP to sell? 

I know coaching won't fix every issue that the Sabres have but there are quite a few examples over time where coaches come in and teams regress quickly and others are brought in (Berube in St. Louis, Trotz in NY) where a coaching change makes a MASSIVE difference. (Not saying this will have that same exact impact for the Sabres)

To me this coaching change needs to fix a few things that are very important to the hopes that the Buffalo Sabres are brought back to relevance again and a playoff contender:

1.  Rasmus Dahlin: Let's not forget he had 45 points as a rookie defenseman when he was 18. That skill does not just disappear into thin air. Put him in the best position for him to be the best defenseman he can be. Period.

2. Jeff Skinner: The contact is an albatross, but get this guy back to a 27-33 goal guy who is excellent 5X5 and is a Top 6 guy and we can 'live' with most of that salary.

3. Dylan Cozens: VERY important that the new coach puts DC in the right position to grow his game and take it to the next level like a lot of us expect.

I know there are more but I feel these 3 really fall on the new coach that is brought in and are more important IMO.

And you know what? It can't get any worse!  Can it?

• Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, #freejame said:

Hopefully he’s allowed to shoot Steve Smith into the atmosphere 

I had high hopes for Smith due to his extensive experience playing with the Oilers in the 80's, but man, was I ever wrong. Sabres Defense has been atrocious under his watch. Buh Byeeeeeeeee!!

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Reading is Fundamental.

But, by all means, spin this as PAFan speculating that the league is pressuring the Pegulas to sell.

Both of us are just asking where this came from. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.