Dear Terry...

SHAAAUGHT!!!

How is it possible to fail miserably at something for 10 years while leaving several key questions unanswered, and expect to have the support of a community to lead this team out of the abyss they have fallen into?  You can't expect it.  And if you do, shame on you for not having the people around you to bring this to your attention, or for the unwillingness to hear the constructive criticism before it turns destructive.  

We know you love hockey.  We know you love the Buffalo Sabres and want nothing but success for them.  It takes A LOT more than that.  It takes a dedicated team of people that have years of hockey acumen, people that have seen wins and loses, people dedicated to the sport and the team - not a title or a paycheck.  Most importantly, it takes the willingness to know what one is, and is not, capable of.  Let me be possibly the first to tell you this:  you are not capable of owning or running a successful professional hockey team.

Maybe it's because there is a degree of expertise necessary to find success in professional sports that is difficult to quantify , especially complicated sports like hockey that require multiple skillsets and a extensive organization that has to operate globally.  Maybe it's because the ownership group has taken on too much responsibility and is not prioritizing or delegating effectively.  Maybe it's because each team in this league has it's own set of circumstances and nuances that need to be considered to achieve success.

No reasonable person expects a winner right away.  It is wonderful when it happens, but most of us have been around long enough to know it rarely works like that.  So we had patience and appreciated what you did to keep the team in Buffalo, to revitalize the harbor, and to invest in the future of the sport.  That can only last for so long and now we are at the 10 year mark.  

I recognize you don't owe us anything.  We didn't help you achieve your success, just as we aren't responsible for your failures.  Whether it's because you haven't been able to find the right people, or you just haven't listened to the right people, you should hear this now: we are done with this team and this organization.  Because, at this point, we don't owe you anything either.  No more games, no more merch, hell, I cancelled cable TV this team is so bad.  Face it, this team isn't going anywhere and at this point you are only devaluing your initial investment.  We thank you for what you have done, and we hold you responsible for what you have done.  It's time we both move on.

You'll always have a place in our hearts.

Sincerely, 

A guy on the internet

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, #freejame said:

You lost me at the start of the second paragraph 

Haha me too.  My letter would be different and much shorter.

Dear Terry,

You and Kim are the only constants in the longest run of futility in Sabres history.  Please do what's best for the Buffalo Sabres and sell the team to someone who is more capable of putting the right people in place to operate a successful NHL organization from top to bottom.  You've not only insulted a proud fanbase by putting the hockey teams and coaches on the ice that you have, but you've made this proud franchise a laughingstock.  We've got a long way to go to make it back to where we should be, but with your help we could start that process as soon as possible, rather than somehow getting worse and worse under current ownership and management.  Thank you.

Once Proud and Loyal Buffalo Sabres Fanbase

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

You lost me at the start of the second paragraph 

The overall message is OK. But there's stuff that doesn't hold up to scrutiny. I mean, I understand when addressing a wealthy man, you have to utter certain niceties.

But, for example, "we" didn't do anything to help him "succeed"? As a taxpayer, I object.

At least it didn't start out, "Dear Mr. Pegula."

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

Haha me too.  My letter would be different and much shorter.

Dear Terry,

You and Kim are the only constants in the longest run of futility in Sabres history.  Please do what's best for the Buffalo Sabres and sell the team to someone who is more capable of putting the right people in place to operate a successful NHL organization from top to bottom.  You've not only insulted a proud fanbase by putting the hockey teams and coaches on the ice that you have, but you've made this proud franchise a laughingstock.  We've got a long way to go to make it back to where we should be, but with your help we could start that process as soon as possible, rather than somehow getting worse and worse under current ownership and management.  Thank you.

Once Proud and Loyal Buffalo Sabres Fanbase

I like where that is going. If it was a serious letter that they would actually read ... I would want to tone down any insults or backhanded compliments. Believe me, I understand and am living thru the frustration just like every fan is. But there is no real NEED (key word) to insult them. I also understand this is a fun exercise on a message board… And that’s cool, everybody can say what they want knowing that Pegulas will never read it. Ever.
But if it was to be a published letter to the owners that maybe would get published on the athletic or the Buffalo news… Some thing that would cross their paths and they would read… part of what your wrote are dead on and perfect… And then I would leave out any insults. I would want to stroke their ego a little, while also expressing frustration in a respectful mature way, and point out the lack of a solid, positive working game plan for the past decade. Basically a letter that would open up their minds to what is being said instead of reading insults and instantly making them on the defensive and shutting down their minds and chalking it up to just angry fan banter that carries no weight. Just a bunch of fans screaming at a wall. 

lastly, it would be an interesting exercise to pool together, write an interesting open letter to them and send it off to the athletic or the Buffalo news to see if they would publish it. I just fear that the letter may contain insulting, immature or unproductive language and it would never get published or that the Pegulas would just brush it off as angry fan banter.

• Like (+1) 1

I believe this is the root of the problem. They are surrounded by yes men. Nobody has the balls to tell them straight up that they are essentially where the buck stops. Its no one else. They are the problem that has haunted this franchise for 10 years. Thats it. Full stop. Get over deluding yourself that its an underlings problem. It all on you.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Insults? We should define what is an insult. To some who may be thin skinned any criticism is insulting. Unfortunately, I suspect the Pegulas are in that category. They shut off much of the media pretty early on for being too negative I believe. Personal attacks on a person are not okay. All else is open game. 

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

But, for example, "we" didn't do anything to help him "succeed"? As a taxpayer, I object.

At least it didn't start out, "Dear Mr. Pegula."

My comment was more about his O&G success, but this statement also holds true there too 😂

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

I like where that is going. If it was a serious letter that they would actually read ... I would want to tone down any insults or backhanded compliments. Believe me, I understand and am living thru the frustration just like every fan is. But there is no real NEED (key word) to insult them. I also understand this is a fun exercise on a message board… And that’s cool, everybody can say what they want knowing that Pegulas will never read it. Ever.
But if it was to be a published letter to the owners that maybe would get published on the athletic or the Buffalo news… Some thing that would cross their paths and they would read… part of what your wrote are dead on and perfect… And then I would leave out any insults. I would want to stroke their ego a little, while also expressing frustration in a respectful mature way, and point out the lack of a solid, positive working game plan for the past decade. Basically a letter that would open up their minds to what is being said instead of reading insults and instantly making them on the defensive and shutting down their minds and chalking it up to just angry fan banter that carries no weight. Just a bunch of fans screaming at a wall. 

lastly, it would be an interesting exercise to pool together, write an interesting open letter to them and send it off to the athletic or the Buffalo news to see if they would publish it. I just fear that the letter may contain insulting, immature or unproductive language and it would never get published or that the Pegulas would just brush it off as angry fan banter.

Good eye!  This was definitely a writing exercise (as I was hoping the sign off would imply) that was driven by the various criticisms of the ownership sprinkled through all the posts lately.  Unfortunately, you often have to wrinkle some feathers to ensure your message is heard to break through the echo chamber/bubble that CEOs, directors, and other execs live in, if nothing else to display your competency to set you up for your next job.  What's the alternative, work for a loser organization for a decade?

3 hours ago, jad1 said:

Dear Terry,

Hire a good GM.  Hire a good coach.  Maybe consider guys with a little experience.

That is all.

I'm doubting they can find such people to come here with our owners. They've lost that much credibility probably.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Radar said:

I'm doubting they can find such people to come here with our owners. They've lost that much credibility probably.

Nah, maybe not everyone wants to come to Buffalo, but there are only 31(32) teams and people want jobs.  Also, Pegulas tend to pay pretty well, so that helps sometimes.

7 hours ago, Radar said:

Exactly. Their reputation around the league is ruined. I'm sure Bettman and other NHL execs want to maintain basic standards of competition, so the Pegulas may already be feeling the pressure behind the scenes to sell. Ticket sales will continue to plummet too, so they're going to lose a lot of money in the near future. The best solution for all parties involved is to sell the franchise to someone willing to keep them in Buffalo. Does such an ownership group exist?

Edited by TerryFolds

22 minutes ago, TerryFolds said:

Exactly. Their reputation around the league is ruined. I'm sure Bettman and other NHL execs want to maintain basic standards of competition, so the Pegulas may already be feeling the pressure behind the scenes to sell. Ticket sales will continue to plummet too, so they're going to lose a lot of money in the near future. The best solution for all parties involved is to sell the franchise to someone willing to keep them in Buffalo. Does such an ownership group exist?

Actually the sales contract from Golisano to Pegula includes a clause that the team must stay in Buffalo.  The article I read about the sale speculates that the NHL wants this in a new contract if TP ever sells the team.

11 minutes ago, Ice Cold said:

Funny you should mention that, because the rumor I heard was that Kim has had this site blocked on all of Terry's devices.  Apparently he went down the rabbit hole here with PA's posting history and suffered a heart attack followed by a series of massive strokes.  

Funny, the rumor I heard was the heart attack and strokes were caused by poison, specifically trace amounts of ricin found in an envelope, possibly from a Christmas card. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 hours ago, TerryFolds said:

If this were true, the NHL would be pressuring half of the owners in the league to sell.  

Pegula is worth $5.4 billion.  He's not going anywhere.

11 hours ago, Ice Cold said:

Funny you should mention that, because the rumor I heard was that Kim has had this site blocked on all of Terry's devices.  Apparently he went down the rabbit hole here with PA's posting history and suffered a heart attack followed by a series of massive strokes.  

Don't tease me like that you little devil.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, jad1 said:

If this were true, the NHL would be pressuring half of the owners in the league to sell.  

Pegula is worth $5.4 billion.  He's not going anywhere.

I remain hopeful that Pegula will sell the Sabres at some point in time.

A hugely important factor is that he now owns the Buffalo Bills, which he did not own when he bought the Sabres.

The real jewel in his trophy sports franchise ownership crown is the Bills and it always will be.

If the Sabres remain nothing but a depressing drag for him (maybe another 3-5 years?) I can see him selling the team.

It's mostly just based on hope, but if I don't have hope, what do I have?

4 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

A hugely important factor is that he now owns the Buffalo Bills, which he did not own when he bought the Sabres.

The real jewel in his trophy sports franchise ownership crown is the Bills and it always will be.

If the Sabres remain nothing but a depressing drag for him (maybe another 3-5 years?) I can see him selling the team.

Well hope then that he hires the right coach this time.  Hiring the right GM and coach for the Bills turned them from a dumpster fire into one of the best franchises in the league.

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

Another option is to not walk away completely, but sell off a controlling interest.  That way they wouldn't have to walk away as losers. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.