GDT: Washington at Buffalo, 3/15/21 7pm MSG, WGR

Doohickie

1 hour ago, Sabre fan said:

so who are the players gonna blame whenever they finally axe Ralphie? They seem to keep playing to get coaches fired but  do not respond to any new coach or GM.  Did they really only have ten shots on goal? That is beyond pathetic...

No.  They had a lot more than that.

3 hours ago, carpandean said:

https://www.knightsonice.com/2019/6/21/18700537/nhl-rule-changes-2019-2020-season-video-review-major-penalties-cody-eakin#:~:text=Referees will also be able to review high-sticking,for the referee to review such a call.

Started in the 2019-20 season, so a little over one normal season's worth of games, in total.  Definitely hasn't been used much - or at least nobody has written about it when it has been - but that doesn't make its use wrong in this case.

I never said it was. I always find it curious when they decide to go by book and when they don’t.

Edited by SwampD

10 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I never said it was. I always find it curious when they decide to go by book and when they don’t.

You've got to put some meat on the bone though. What exactly was curious about last night? Why that night of all nights for the NHL to get into shenanigans?

Just now, PASabreFan said:

You've got to put some meat on the bone though. What exactly was curious about last night? Why that night of all nights for the NHL to get into shenanigans?

I thought that’s what I was asking.

Try it out on a team that doesn’t matter, probably.

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

I thought that’s what I was asking.

Why so vague? You're suggesting that the NHL was cheating for the Caps. Why would they do that?

Not for nothing, that play was the poster child for why video review of penalties exists. A skate clearly came up and cut Lazar, not a stick. It was an egregious call. You don't want close highsticking calls to be reviewed. Was it high? Did it make contact? No one wants the game bogged down like that. That could explain why there might be so few of these situations. (I don't know that there have been few, but a quick Google search didn't turn up much.)

26 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Why so vague? You're suggesting that the NHL was cheating for the Caps. Why would they do that?

Not for nothing, that play was the poster child for why video review of penalties exists. A skate clearly came up and cut Lazar, not a stick. It was an egregious call. You don't want close highsticking calls to be reviewed. Was it high? Did it make contact? No one wants the game bogged down like that. That could explain why there might be so few of these situations. (I don't know that there have been few, but a quick Google search didn't turn up much.)

I don't think SwampD was suggesting cheating, just selective enforcement.  Splitting hairs, but not using it when appropriate would actually be cheating, while using it when it should is not.

Anyway, I agree; it was a special circumstance.  How often do you have a case where a player is falling, skates and stick flailing, and the ref thinks it was a stick that caught the other player?  The Capitals were clearly screaming that it was a skate, especially after watching the replay, on which it was obvious.  It's possible another ref or linesman said, "looked like his skate, not his stick, to me."  Hard to compare to other cases like the aforementioned close cases.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

The NHL does not need to cheat for any team playing the Sabres.

I admit to not knowing of the rule change. The only time I’ve ever seen a player come out of the box is when they’ve gotten the number wrong and put someone else in. I kinda wish you could challenge all penalties (Hall would have been let out of the box for that ridiculous hooking call.)

It is about selective enforcement. They always seem to get it right when it’s the Sabres while other teams get the benefit of the doubt. There is and always has been systemic bias with NHL officiating. Every article Kerry Fraser writes proves it. We’ve seen league emails that prove it. I just can’t not point it out every time I see it.

Edited by SwampD

18 hours ago, inkman said:

Starting Black Mirror.  Can’t watch this garbage (technically, tonight I never did)

So I don’t think I was given adequate warning about the first episode. My comfort level was defcon 5 about 30 minutes in.  What am I getting myself into?

13 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I found that to be the worst episode.

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I remember trying that show a few years back and ditching it immediately upon completion of that first episode 

I’ll give it another go but man that not enjoyable. 

1 hour ago, inkman said:

So I don’t think I was given adequate warning about the first episode. My comfort level was defcon 5 about 30 minutes in.  What am I getting myself into?

If you make it through the 1st one, you'll be fine.  The rest of the series is fantastic and not centered on farm animals. 😁

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Just skip it then. Each episode stands on its own.

Ya I mean there’s also a sci fi 60s esque Star Trek inspired/parody episode in the same series. Not even close to similar to the first episode. 

San Junipero

It’s like a modern day outer limits but technology centric, the episodes vary wildly 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Ya I mean there’s also a sci fi 60s esque Star Trek inspired/parody episode in the same series. Not even close to similar to the first episode. 

San Junipero

It’s like a modern day outer limits but technology centric, the episodes vary wildly 

And that first one is the worst. I almost wonder if it was the pilot to grab attention. The rest are better and slicker.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

And that first one is the worst. I almost wonder if it was the pilot to grab attention. The rest are better and slicker.

The show is really popular, but imagine how popular it would be if they didn't lead with THAT episode?  I know a few who didn't make it.

40 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

The show is really popular, but imagine how popular it would be if they didn't lead with THAT episode?  I know a few who didn't make it.

I still found the first one to be an intriguing concept. But ya I’ve heard people say the same for sure.

i think also between season 2 and 3, or 3 and 4, can’t remember which, the show changes a fair bit as it goes from more British centric to a more of an American feel for most episodes. 

Has anyone tried Bandersnatch, the “choose your own adventure” episode? A little clumsy I thought and I prefer the regular episodes but it was fun  

White Christmas is fantastic 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I still found the first one to be an intriguing concept. But ya I’ve heard people say the same for sure.

i think also between season 2 and 3, or 3 and 4, can’t remember which, the show changes a fair bit as it goes from more British centric to a more of an American feel for most episodes. 

Has anyone tried Bandersnatch, the “choose your own adventure” episode? A little clumsy I thought and I prefer the regular episodes but it was fun  

I tried the Bandersnatch thing.  It was kinda interesting.  I didn't get too much into it though.  I'm sure there's probably a ton of content there.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.