A pair of profound, existential questions

PASabreFan

1. Is there a life after this one?

2. Why do our own farts smell so much better than others'? ("Well, Marge, I'll be in the closet today reading." h/t to the late, great George Carlin)

No, seriously...

1. Assuming a crummy team for the foreseeable future (get out them actuarial tables), how do we as fans get back to enjoying the games as if they were meaningful in the standings? Should we stop chewing at the restraints?

2. Is the Buffalo Sabres franchise on the way out? Is it tenable long-term even if the team's performance turns around? Would it be devastating to you, or would you smile and be happy for what we had lo those many years? And for the conspiracy people, was it the plan in 2011 all along? (Terry gets to establish himself as a pro sports owner with an eye on the Bills, while Bettman has eventual cover to put the franchise in (fill in the blank) after it's run into the ground.)

Finally, in light of the first part of 2., is it even more imperative to find a way to 1.?

I'll listen and hang up.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

1.)  Yes.

2.)  I eat a lot of garlic.  Nice smell on the way out.

And ...

1.) No idea.

2.) No.  The Sabres will not be relocated.  I think it is very unlikely to happen, but I would say the team would fold before relocate.

While I agree that the team will not be relocated, there is absolutely no chance that the NHL folds a team.  They would certainly move them first.

Thanks for the advice regarding the garlic.

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

1. Is there a life after this one?

2. Why do our own farts smell so much better than others'? ("Well, Marge, I'll be in the closet today reading." h/t to the late, great George Carlin)

No, seriously...

1. Assuming a crummy team for the foreseeable future (get out them actuarial tables), how do we as fans get back to enjoying the games as if they were meaningful in the standings? Should we stop chewing at the restraints?

2. Is the Buffalo Sabres franchise on the way out? Is it tenable long-term even if the team's performance turns around? Would it be devastating to you, or would you smile and be happy for what we had lo those many years? And for the conspiracy people, was it the plan in 2011 all along? (Terry gets to establish himself as a pro sports owner with an eye on the Bills, while Bettman has eventual cover to put the franchise in (fill in the blank) after it's run into the ground.)

Finally, in light of the first part of 2., is it even more imperative to find a way to 1.?

I'll listen and hang up.

1. Yes

2. they don’t 

1.  Winning cures all.  Start with likable players (which are lacking on this team), players that play hard and sacrifice for the team.  Just seeing a competitive and tough team that made a better effort would be more Buffalo. 
2.  Buffalo was a hockey hotbed before the Sabres.  If they leave, someone will think about bringing a team back, because it will remain a hockey hotbed.  If they leave I would be devastated.  I will never be satisfied until we win a Cup. After that I’ll not be satisfied until we win another.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

See: Bills, Buffalo 

They've gone a long way towards fan forgetting 17 years of futility.

• Like (+1) 2

Yes

My farts are rank especially after wings... just ask my wife and my sons.

No idea on the last two but the current situation and speculation above just makes me sad so right now Im watching  other teams enjoy success.. teams that skate and still have some grind... minny, vegas TB a few others

1.) If this is life and not a dream itself, which will be forgotten when we wake.  Hoping for this.
2.) No comment.  Eleven had the perfect response.

1.b) An off-season that changes the composition and strategic direction of the team is needed.  I can get behind any kind of trade because the team, in its make up is inherently weak.  Change the core, and strengthen the mind and body of the Sabre player and I can get behind another season. Even if short of excellence.   Without, and just a small tweaking then I’m not sure I can continue the ride. 
2.b) Betting on not leaving.  Could we not experience both devastation and joy at the same time?   Conspiracy much?  I might recommend a nice Indica blend to reduce anxiety and paranoia.  Maybe Ice Cream Cake or Legend OG.  

1) Yes...there is life after this one.

2) My Mighty Taco farts are exquisite (of course I'm laughing as it nears and hits others)

The other Two....

1) The bar has been set so low that ANY winning will bring some enjoyment. Imagine a .500 team right now....Would you take it? 

2) An emphatic NO. They can and will be successful again. It doesn't have to take 5 years to do it either.

Edited by KC Scouts

At this point the way this team has been run for the past 12 years, if they left, I wouldn't miss them one bit. It has been so long since they played a game that mattered, or for that fact, a game they played like they cared, goodbye. All they do is put me in a bad mood when I watch them. They pretty much stole thousands of my hard earned money, while I supported them with season tickets for too many years, while falling for the " they will be ok" status. Screw them. Had enough, I would only miss the time spent with my son's, and friends going to the games when they tried. Since they don't from the top on down, hell with them.

8 minutes ago, stenbaro said:

At this point the way this team has been run for the past 12 years, if they left, I wouldn't miss them one bit. It has been so long since they played a game that mattered, or for that fact, a game they played like they cared, goodbye. All they do is put me in a bad mood when I watch them. They pretty much stole thousands of my hard earned money, while I supported them with season tickets for too many years, while falling for the " they will be ok" status. Screw them. Had enough, I would only miss the time spent with my son's, and friends going to the games when they tried. Since they don't from the top on down, hell with them.

Welcome back, even if it is only to vent.

• Like (+1) 1

There is just to much documented evidence, be video, audio, testimonials, that supports something happens after death in this life, whether that be construed as your soul, spirit, or something else, it's abundantly clear something does happen that has longevity beyond the organic brain function of the human body.

Flatulence stinks, no matter how accustomed one is to their own bodily smells. It comes out of the area humans discharge their sewage, the more bottled up sewage the individual has, the more the flatulence release has to pass through on the way to being expelled, no matter how you cut it, cheese stinks out of that container.

You don't enjoy them. You are emotionally invested in the team, bad performance equals bad mood for us.

Buffalo metro population as of 2021 numbers listed is 1,124,400. I took the numbers from the Southwest Region Ontario Peninsula, and only from the 3 closest regions since they would have the most Sabres fans, roughly 724,000. So that would put the potential for an NHL Franchise fanbase at roughly 1.5 to 1.75 million, depending. The franchise is located along the Canadian border, the franchise is located in a 50 year established market, in short, and, while considered a small market franchise, the local viewership fan base of the broader NHL league is continuously one of the highest in the league, in short, the Sabres franchise isn't going anywhere.

7 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I don’t think one can describe one’s own question as “profound.”

The questions are inherently and objectively profound — all of them. I was not trying to toot my own horn, but if I did, it would be cheese, glorious, cheese.

2 hours ago, stenbaro said:

This is an excellent summary of how most Sabres fans feel. Thank you. 

• Like (+1) 1

1. The only way to get more enjoyment is to not watch. There is nothing they do well.

• They can barely complete a pass.
  • They don't hit.
  • They don't fight.
  • They certainly don't score.
  • They pass when they should shoot.
  • They shoot when they should pass.
  • They are completely unaware in the defensive zone.
  • They don't attack the points.
  • They have been coached to over-pass in the neutral zone.
  • They don't do anything worth cheering for.

Seriously, this is the worst hockey I have ever watched in my life. Life is better if you just don't watch.

2. If they are good,… no, if they are just okay, the Sabres are viable in Buffalo. At this point, I can only assume that Terry is actually a Penguins fan and he is doing his part to ensure that there is one less team for them to compete with.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.