• Staal (UFA)
    • McCabe (UFA)
    • Montour (UFA)
    • Ullmark (UFA)
    • Rieder (UFA)
    • Sheahan (UFA)
    • Girgensons

This poll is closed to new votes

Interesting listen for those that like listening to "The Hockey Guy".  Hopefully it helps the Eichel trade now that he has completed a preview with Eichel in the lineup.

I think The Hockey Guy does a nice job on his videos trying to stay neutral and giving an honest opinion.

Edited by Digger
  • Thanks (+1) 2

• 5 weeks later...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/buffalo-sabres-2021-22-nhl-194522847.html

Biggest Question Facing the Sabres
• What is going to happen with Jack Eichel?

This really is the only question at this point. And really it is more of a question of “when” will it happen.

With or without Eichel the team is going to struggle. They already traded Sam Reinhart and Rasmus Ristolainen, the roster is thin and lacking in impact players, goaltending is non-existent, and while the defense has some intriguing young pieces it is still not a great group.

But an Eichel trade seems to simply be a matter of when and not if.

The situation has turned ugly as the two sides can not agree on the best course of action regarding his desire for surgery, he is clearly frustrated with the lack of success on the ice, while the team simply looks like it is ready for another rebuild.

14 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Malone must be the longest tenured pure prospect of all time, any team 

I think we drafted him in 1996

He was a point-a-game guy at the NHL level last year!

(1 assist in 1 game)

I don't think he expects much of an NHL career but he's making more than he could outside the hockey world.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Oh, you mean the guy who's NHL career numbers almost exactly match those of the goalie who signed with the Bruins for $5M per year?

No I agree I'm sure Dell will be fantastic - as good as Ullmark, easily. 

I happen to agree with the decision to keep Miller's "30" out of the rafters - wouldn't want any kind of "block" on Dell's development pathway to number retirement, as per Kevyn. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

No I agree I'm sure Dell will be fantastic - as good as Ullmark, easily. 

I happen to agree with the decision to keep Miller's "30" out of the rafters - wouldn't want any kind of "block" on Dell's development pathway to number retirement, as per Kevyn. 

I think we have a few too many #'s up there already.  There can't be much more space up there for a real star when their # really belongs up there.  I don't think 30 should be retired for Miller.  He was good ... very good ... very, very good ... not sweater # retirement good.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Gross I don't like that.

They shouldn't let anybody wear that

Miller wasn't good enough to retire the number.  No point in giving a nascar number out to someone when a perfectly good common to the position number was available for the taking.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

He's in the top 3 for the best American goaltender in NHL history he should be retired 

I liked Miller, I really did, but to me he was simply an above average goalie  with ONE Vezina  year.  That can make him a fan favorite, it can make him a team ambassador, but it does not make for a retired number.

You can have your number retired if you play in multiple cup finals (and win at least 1), or have a couple Vezina trophies and contend for 1 or two more.  Miller doesn't quite reach that retired number level for me.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Weave said:

You don’t retire very good player numbers.

Unless their names are Robert or Gare.

Or Glenn Anderson, or Bill Barber, Neil Broten, Wendel Clark, Dit Clapper, Ken Daneyko, Hap Day, Bernie Ferderko, Clark Gillies, Bill Goldsworthy, Butch Goring, Al Hamilton, Milan Hejduk, Lionel Hitchman, Yvon Labre, Jere Lehtinen, Keith Magnusson...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Hockey_League_retired_numbers

The established standard for jersey retirement is shamefully low, but under that standard Miller is an easy yes.

42 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Unless their names are Robert or Gare.

Or Glenn Anderson, or Bill Barber, Neil Broten, Wendel Clark, Dit Clapper, Ken Daneyko, Hap Day, Bernie Ferderko, Clark Gillies, Bill Goldsworthy, Butch Goring, Al Hamilton, Milan Hejduk, Lionel Hitchman, Yvon Labre, Jere Lehtinen, Keith Magnusson...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Hockey_League_retired_numbers

The established standard for jersey retirement is shamefully low, but under that standard Miller is an easy yes.

How many of those names are also on cups?  I’ll make an exception for the silliness there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.