My plan for 2021-2022

Buyout Eakin

Sign Reinhart 5x6.5mil

Sign Asplund 2x1.1mil

Sign Mitts 3x1.4mil

Sign Dahlin either to a 2x4mil bridge or 8x6.5mil

Sign Jokiharju 2x2mil

Sign Ullmark 3x4.75mil

Sign McCabe 1x2.85mil (He may need to based on his injury)

Sign Mrazek/Riemer 1x3.5mil

Trade FLA's 3rd to get Seattle to take Miller

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart

R2 - Cozens - Olofsson

Asplund - Mitts - Thompson

Bjork - Girgs - Okposo

Dahlin - Jokiharju

McCabe - Risto

Bryson - Borgen

Ullmark

Mrazek/Reimer

That leaves us with $11.3mil in cap space to push guys down the depth chart thus filling the additional 3 roster spots.

Any ideas?

A few thoughts I have is that this roster is too young and could certainly use Nick Foligno if he's willing to come here. Maybe trade Olofsson and/or Risto to better the overall roster. Essentially Olofsson isn't a true Top 6 forward but the only place to slot him is at 2RW. Okposo should be waived if he's not playing well and just buried in Rochester unless we need him as a pinch call up. (He plays much better once teams begin playing more defensive hockey on route to the playoffs) If he still isn't effective then buy him out at year's end as the cap hits aren't terrible at 3.3mil and 1.3mil where as buying him out this year carries a cap hit actually higher than a buried Okposo would.

And how long are you going to stick with top line Skinner this time when he doesn’t produce for another year?

11 minutes ago, SDS said:

And how long are you going to stick with top line Skinner this time when he doesn’t produce for another year?

Depends if he's getting chances or not. As long as Eichel and either Cozens or Reinhart are still producing and he isn't hurting them then I wouldn't. Let's see if we can get 20 to 30 goals out of Skinner; he's played better as of late and giving the 9mil man a chance seems wise. Obviously if he's weighing his line down I'd change things but give him a chance to sink or swim. And more than 3 games against the Isles.

Would go with:

Ruotsalainen/Bjork - Eichel - Reinhart

Skinner - Upgrade - Cozens

Asplund - Mittelstadt - Thompson

Girgensons - Upgrade - Okposo

Spare Bjork/R2Roo2 next man into that role: Sheahan

McCabe - Ristolainen

Borgen - Dahlin 

Samuelsson - Jokiharju

Spares Bryson - Miller 

Ullmark - Upgrade

Realizing either Borgen or the Joker is in Seattle.  So fill that slot with an outside upgrade.

Trade Olofsson &, if possible, Eakin.  If nobody will take him, waive him to Ra-cha-cha as an injury callup.  Bjork/Droid w/ Sam & Jack isn't ideal & would prefer an upgrade there as well, but the other lines should work & it's possible one of those newcomers could mesh w/ the team's 2 best forwards.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Would go with:

Ruotsalainen/Bjork - Eichel - Reinhart

Skinner - Upgrade - Cozens

Girgensons - Upgrade - Okposo

Spare Bjork/R2Roo2 next man into that role: Sheahan

McCabe - Ristolainen

Borgen - Dahlin 

Samuelsson - Jokiharju

Spares Bryson - Miller 

Ullmark - Upgrade

Realizing either Borgen or the Joker is in Seattle.  So fill that slot with an outside upgrade.

Trade Olofsson &, if possible, Eakin.  If nobody will take him, waive him to Ra-cha-cha as an injury callup.  Bjork/Droid w/ Sam & Jack isn't ideal & would prefer an upgrade there as well, but the other lines should work & it's possible one of those newcomers could mesh w/ the team's 2 best forwards.

28 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I can haz Seth Jarvis?

Our top 6 is gonna look real good next year with Bjork and a rookie Seth Jarvis 

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Our top 6 is gonna look real good next year with Bjork and a rookie Seth Jarvis 

And the most fun Sabres team from this century had Jochen Hecht on the top line.  Not exactly a standard 1st liner.  That allowed the 3rd line to comprise kids and was known as the RAV line.  😉

My preference is bringing in someone better than either Bjork or Ruotsalainen (or Olofsson for that matter) for that spot, but have really liked the chemistry the ATM line has displayed in a 2nd line deployment and would like to keep it together next season, all things equal.

Anyone got fancy stats on Viktor Arvidsson from this season and last? I'm kind of curious about him because he was trending upward and then his production has dropped. He is a guy I have some interest in buying low on this offseason.

32 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Calgary?

If I'm moving Reinhart it's for a piece that replaces him ... and Calgary is a spot with three guys to keep an eye on: Gaudreau, Lindholm, Monahan (listed them in order of what their value probably is right now).

Gaudreau you'd probably be looking basically a one-for-one (we might have to toss in another piece there). Same for Lindholm. Monahan has struggled for two straight years so you might try to convince them to put a piece in there to sweeten the pot.

(In a perfect world you actually keep Reinhart and then work a deal for one of those guys to add to the roster instead of just hoping a one-for-one "hockey trade" jumpstarts your offense).

Edited by Hoss
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

If I'm moving Reinhart it's for a piece that replaces him ... and Calgary is a spot with three guys to keep an eye on: Gaudreau, Lindholm, Monahan (listed them in order of what their value probably is right now).

Gaudreau you'd probably be looking basically a one-for-one (we might have to toss in another piece there). Same for Lindholm. Monahan has struggled for two straight years so you might try to convince them to put a piece in there to sweeten the pot.

(In a perfect world you actually keep Reinhart and then work a deal for one of those guys to add to the roster instead of just hoping a one-for-one "hockey trade" jumpstarts your offense).

idk if Calgary would value him or want him but they gave Sutter a 3 year deal so I have to think if they fail this year (which seems inevitable at this point) he will have a hand in shaping and molding the team to fit his style and image of what he wants them to be. I would assume tough and hard to play against but you never know. I can definitely see the players you list being moved so who knows, but it is a potential destination.

What the Sabres can't afford to do is just carry on and let Reinhart's contract come to the UFA year and give him all the leverage. We can't afford to over pay him with Skinner already in that role and he would squeeze us I am sure (who wouldn't?) . So I think you find out how much he will want, decide if you can pay it or want to pay it and if not move on now before it's too late. 

The more this team relies on players with 3 years or less of pro and adds veteran leadership not currently on the roster, the happier I will be. and I think the more we will win. 

7 hours ago, Taro T said:

And the most fun Sabres team from this century had Jochen Hecht on the top line.  Not exactly a standard 1st liner.  That allowed the 3rd line to comprise kids and was known as the RAV line.  😉

My preference is bringing in someone better than either Bjork or Ruotsalainen (or Olofsson for that matter) for that spot, but have really liked the chemistry the ATM line has displayed in a 2nd line deployment and would like to keep it together next season, all things equal.

Just don’t think we can afford to trade Reinhart for prospects/picks then if we probably need a T6 add even w/him here 

5 hours ago, Hoss said:

Ya exactly 

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

Just don’t think we can afford to trade Reinhart for prospects/picks then if we probably need a T6 add even w/him here 

Ya exactly 

No disagreement there.  But didn't suggest they should trade him, much less for future returns.

• Like (+1) 1

I certainly hope this is not the lineup next October, but it is interesting to see how the depth chart looks including only players 25-and-under:

Olofsson Eichel Reinhart

Peterka Cozens Quinn

Asplund Mittelstadt Thompson

Bjork Ruotsalainen Pekar

Dahlin Jokiharju

Samuelsson Johnson

Bryson Borgen

UPL

Portillo

And you throw in a 10-pick draft that should include a top-3 selection and an extra 2nd, and our pipeline certainly looks better than it did a year ago.

@dudacekI think there's a chance they go into next year with

Bjork - Cozens - Ruotsalainen

Girgensons - Olofsson trade - Okposo

...a week ago I would have said that was just asking to bottom out again, but honestly who knows at this point. I don't think it would be particularly smart - I think any kind of top 6 winger we can get our hands on takes it from, well, ok, to - well, ok, let's go!

The Olofsson trade is an idea - I don't think we need to bring in a t6 centre anymore. The likelihood of neither Cozens NOR Casey playing that role adequately seems low enough that we are in "good bet" territory, here, IMO. AND Reinhart can fill in at C. (I expect that top line to return to dominance, actually.) But that checking line C is what we do really need. Let's go crazy and have that C we bring in be good at face offs, too. Shoot Eakin and his hair into the slightly less flaming sun.

If so, we'd be in shape at F better than we've been in a good long while, especially with a t6 winger add.

39 minutes ago, Thorny said:

...a week ago I would have said that was just asking to bottom out again, but honestly who knows at this point. I don't think it would be particularly smart - I think any kind of top 6 winger we can get our hands on takes it from, well, ok, to - well, ok, let's go!

The Olofsson trade is an idea - I don't think we need to bring in a t6 centre anymore. The likelihood of neither Cozens NOR Casey playing that role adequately seems low enough that we are in "good bet" territory, here, IMO. AND Reinhart can fill in at C. (I expect that top line to return to dominance, actually.) But that checking line C is what we do really need. Let's go crazy and have that C we bring in be good at face offs, too. Shoot Eakin and his hair into the slightly less flaming sun.

If so, we'd be in shape at F better than we've been in a good long while, especially with a t6 winger add.

After yesterday's game that line 2 is packed with speed that the Caps couldn't handle and the ATM line appears to have so much chemistry together that the only difference I'd make is Girgensons-xxx-Olofsson. Victor has embraced this style of play IHCDG has instilled and he looks faster and more engaged lately also. Throwing a possible 4 line scoring and speed machine out there would be pretty amazing after watching the snooze fest team we saw to open the season. If Okposo is possibly going thru concussion protocols again, I'm not sure he comes back and I hope for his sake that's not true.

• Like (+1) 1

Of the names batted around here in this thread ... from April 2021 to October 2021 ... I can see 4-7 of the listed players not even being on the Sabres. Who, I don’t know. But I think the lineup isn’t gonna be what’s being listed now. I can see KA shedding roughly a 4th to a 3rd of the current roster.  Maybe he won’t. But it wouldn’t surprise me.

Just now, Zamboni said:

Of the names batted around here in this thread ... from April 2021 to October 2021 ... I can see 4-7 of the listed players not even being on the Sabres. Who, I don’t know. But I think the lineup isn’t gonna be what’s being listed now. I can see KA shedding roughly a 4th to a 3rd of the current roster.  Maybe he won’t. But it wouldn’t surprise me.

What you can't forget is how much the lineup has changed already:

R2, Bjork, Bryson, Thompson, Mittelstad, Asplund and to a lesser extent Cozens weren't regulars under Ralph

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Like your idea. Only thing I might tweak is putting Bjork with Jack. They are friends who played together growing up. Bjork has the wheels to play with him and if Jack and Sam turn him into an offensive scorer then that is found money:

Bjork Eichel Reinhart

Skinner Cozens Ruots

Asplund Mitts Tage

Agree that VO would be the guy to move and see what you can get. Ruots adds everything he does at a fraction of the price.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Like your idea. Only thing I might tweak is putting Bjork with Jack. They are friends who played together growing up. Bjork has the wheels to play with him and if Jack and Sam turn him into an offensive scorer then that is found money:

Bjork Eichel Reinhart

Skinner Cozens Ruots

Asplund Mitts Tage

Agree that VO would be the guy to move and see what you can get. Ruots adds everything he does at a fraction of the price.

We could and should def try him with Eichel if he's still looking good, but my worry with Skinner with Cozens is that Skinner seems honestly quite difficult to play with. It's tough to mesh his skill set with other good players. We saw what Jack was able to create out of Jeff (Jack's hockey sense in underrated here), for whatever reason where others mostly can't. Reinhart makes Jack go, too. 

I think after the detour through the Hall we end up back where we started with the top line. Before Ralph

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.