• McCabe (UFA)
    • Montour (UFA)
    • Ullmark (UFA)
    • Rieder (UFA)
    • Sheahan (UFA)
    • Girgensons

This poll is closed to new votes

3 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Not sure to be honest.  Who are comparables?   I’d take guys like this in UFA over guys that can cost $9 million plus.   

General rule of thumb in UFA is about 100k per point, so they are roughly 40 pt guys, equals $4M.  Very rough estimate obviously.  These are exactly the type of guys I would want to add though.

• Like (+1) 1

With each passing game, the following spine looks more and more like a long-term reality

Jack, Samson, Mitts, Lazar.

Ullmark looks more and more like the goalie of the present and near future.

Thompson is showing life.  Fogarty has been a nice addition.  KO is actually looking like a hockey player again.  Sorry for doubting you, I should have realized that the RK effect hurt everyone. Asplund is looking like he has NHL potential.  Obviously Cozens is part of the plan and we are stuck with Skinner.

On Defense Bryson, Jokiharju and Dahlin are here to stay.  

So what's KA's gameplan? 

Obviously RFAs Samson, Dahlin, Mitts, Asplund, Borgen (if not lost to Seattle), and Jokiharju will be re-signed.  

UFAs Ullmark, Fogarty and possibly McCabe will be on the list to retain.  Fogarty should be easy, but there will be demand for the other two.  I'm assuming Hall and Montour will be traded.  Sheahan and Rieder are also UFAs

The real roster questions come down to what to do about Eakin, Girgensons, Olofsson, Miller and Ristolainen. All have 1 year left except Girgensons who has two.  I'm going to assume for a minute that none of these guys return except Risto and assume we retain the 3 UFAs listed above.

Skinner Jack Cozens

??????  Reinhart KO?

R2?    Mitts Thompson

Asplund Lazar Fogarty

McCabe Risto

Dahlin Jokiharju

Bryson Borgen

Ullmark ???????

That is a surprisingly few openings.  Is this enough change for everyone if we get a new coach or even keep Granato?  What do we get for Olofsson in trade?  Will KA have the guts to trade our most dangerous shooter?  

For such a terrible season, there sure have been some silver lining. Mitts and Tage blossoming before our eyes has been fun to see. Cozens has been good, too.  Bryson is the real deal. Borgen sure looked good, and there appears to be more d-men on the way in the pipeline. Even Joki has looked a lot better lately. 

Ullmark has matured into a starting goal, perhaps just in time to get rich in free agency, but hopefully we can keep him. 

I’m hoping that Toker was not a one game wonder and can actually be someone we can use and win with. 

4 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

For such a terrible season, there sure have been some silver lining. Mitts and Tage blossoming before our eyes has been fun to see. Cozens has been good, too.  Bryson is the real deal. Borgen sure looked good, and there appears to be more d-men on the way in the pipeline. Even Joki has looked a lot better lately. 

Ullmark has matured into a starting goal, perhaps just in time to get rich in free agency, but hopefully we can keep him. 

I’m hoping that Toker was not a one game wonder and can actually be someone we can use and win with. 

I want to keep Ullmark but have a serious upgrade to Toker. We need someone in the 1B category who can challenge Linus and not miss a beat when he’s out. UPL may be that guy in a couple of years but they need someone for about two years.

6 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Even though I agree with your take on how things are trending with those players, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Mitts, Tage, Bryson and Cozens have a combined 10 goals this year and Borgen has played 8 NHL games.

Ullmark, that's a different story. That guy is a stud. Sign him right now.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I've said it before, I think some of the core has to go.  I just don't believe that a new HC, swapping of players in the bottom 6, blueliners 5-6-7, or a new backup goalie, is going to make this a team that can challenge for the playoffs.  The question is...who from the core needs to go?

Players here the longest...

Eichel - 6 years
Reinhart - 6 years
Risto - 8 years
Ullmark - 6 years
McCabe - 7 years
Girgensons - 8 years
Dahlin - 3 years
Mitts - 3 years
Okposo - 5 years(2 more on contract)
Skinner - 3 years(6 more on contract)

This team is not close with or without Jack.  Don't let the last few games fool you.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Even though I agree with your take on how things are trending with those players, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Mitts, Tage, Bryson and Cozens have a combined 10 goals this year and Borgen has played 8 NHL games.

Ullmark, that's a different story. That guy is a stud. Sign him right now.

And Jack, Jeff, Taylor and Dahlin have 9 combined goals. 

Just saying, it looks like those youngster might be blossoming. And that would be nice 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

With each passing game, the following spine looks more and more like a long-term reality

Jack, Samson, Mitts, Lazar.

Ullmark looks more and more like the goalie of the present and near future.

Thompson is showing life.  Fogarty has been a nice addition.  KO is actually looking like a hockey player again.  Sorry for doubting you, I should have realized that the RK effect hurt everyone. Asplund is looking like he has NHL potential.  Obviously Cozens is part of the plan and we are stuck with Skinner.

On Defense Bryson, Jokiharju and Dahlin are here to stay.  

So what's KA's gameplan? 

Obviously RFAs Samson, Dahlin, Mitts, Asplund, Borgen (if not lost to Seattle), and Jokiharju will be re-signed.  

UFAs Ullmark, Fogarty and possibly McCabe will be on the list to retain.  Fogarty should be easy, but there will be demand for the other two.  I'm assuming Hall and Montour will be traded.  Sheahan and Rieder are also UFAs

The real roster questions come down to what to do about Eakin, Girgensons, Olofsson, Miller and Ristolainen. All have 1 year left except Girgensons who has two.  I'm going to assume for a minute that none of these guys return except Risto and assume we retain the 3 UFAs listed above.

Skinner Jack Cozens

??????  Reinhart KO?

R2?    Mitts Thompson

Asplund Lazar Fogarty

McCabe Risto

Dahlin Jokiharju

Bryson Borgen

Ullmark ???????

That is a surprisingly few openings.  Is this enough change for everyone if we get a new coach or even keep Granato?  What do we get for Olofsson in trade?  Will KA have the guts to trade our most dangerous shooter?  

I still see Cozens at C 

Also if KO starts the season on line 2 KA should be fired immediately 

17 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Six players got more votes to be back next year than Jack Eichel. 

Linus, Borgen, Bryson, Cozens, Sam, and Dahlin.  

Think about that.   

The one that doesn't make sense is Borgen.  8 NHL games.  He played well in the 4 this season, but that isn't exactly a large enough sample size to know what he really is.  He could end up being more Weber then McKee.

With another incompetent GM putting his stamp on this franchise, I'm feeling the Cup is nearly in our grasp.

Say hello to your 2021-22 Sabres

Skinner Eichel Reinhart

Asplund Mittelstadt Thompson

R2 Cozens Olofsson

Girgensons Eakin Okposo

Bjork

Dahlin Jokiharju

Bryson Ristolainen

Miller Borgen

Togarski

Warms the heart doesn't it?

I want nothing more than for Asplund/Casey/Tage to cement their arrival in stone as this season winds down against some of the best teams. 

Skinner - Jack - Sam
xxx - Cozens/xxx - Cozens/xxx
Asplund - Mitts - Tage
Girgensons - xxx - Okposo/xxx, depending on if Okposo can still play

If that third line is legit and really getting better and better, the offseason gets so much easier. I would flush all of our 4th liners besides the two shown and find a legitimately good 4C for those two. Then I'd probably move on from Olofsson, and go all-out on finding the best two skaters I can to play with Cozens. I'm also open to moving any of the names in that lineup out (besides Cozens) depending on the return. 

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly, the best thing that KA can do for next year is next to nothing.  He is incompetent at his job and therefore needs to be as little as possible and let the kids on the ice grow together.

Off-season game plan

1) Re-sign Ullmark

2) get a backup

3) re-sign McCabe if he's interested.  If not, not.

4) Get Berniers in the draft

5) Do whatever at HC.  If you want Granato fine.  At least he is showing some results and comes from a hockey family and Girardi is probably competent to coach the D.

That's it.  Now go let the kids plays.  

I posted a more sarcastic lineup last night, but the more I think about it why not it or something similar.  Bringing in out side help like Hall, KO, Skinner, Staal, Berglund, Montour, Miller and Hutton hasn't helped.  Lets just go with our kids and see what happens.  At least we know they try hard.

Forwards to Reinhart at 2C

Skinner Eichel Cozens

Olofsson Reinhart Thompson

Asplund Mitts Quinn

Girgensons Eakin Okposo

Bjork

Forwards with Reinhart back at Jack's wing

Skinner Eichel Reinhart

Asplund Mitts Thompson

R2 Cozens Olofsson

Girgensons Eakin KO

Bjork

Defense w McCabe

McCabe Ristolainen

Dahlin Jokiharju

Bryson Borgen

Miller

Defense wo McCabe

Dahlin Jokiharju

Borgen Ristolainen

Bryson Miller

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

I want nothing more than for Asplund/Casey/Tage to cement their arrival in stone as this season winds down against some of the best teams. 

Skinner - Jack - Sam
xxx - Cozens/xxx - Cozens/xxx
Asplund - Mitts - Tage
Girgensons - xxx - Okposo/xxx, depending on if Okposo can still play

If that third line is legit and really getting better and better, the offseason gets so much easier. I would flush all of our 4th liners besides the two shown and find a legitimately good 4C for those two. Then I'd probably move on from Olofsson, and go all-out on finding the best two skaters I can to play with Cozens. I'm also open to moving any of the names in that lineup out (besides Cozens) depending on the return. 

Ruotsalainen is with Cozens, I presume?

Olofsson may find a game with R2 and Cozens.  I don't know why, but that seems better for him than Reinhart and Eichel.  If so, this might be our best forward line-up in 10 years.  The question then becomes how do the D and goaltending look after the expansion draft?  Is Ristolainen still here?  How about McCabe?  Where is Linus?

48 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Ruotsalainen is with Cozens, I presume?

Olofsson may find a game with R2 and Cozens.  I don't know why, but that seems better for him than Reinhart and Eichel.  If so, this might be our best forward line-up in 10 years.  The question then becomes how do the D and goaltending look after the expansion draft?  Is Ristolainen still here?  How about McCabe?  Where is Linus?

Ruotsalainen is welcome to enter training camp and attempt to be the best of 12.

I want to build a roster for next year as if he doesn't exist. 

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

With another incompetent GM putting his stamp on this franchise, I'm feeling the Cup is nearly in our grasp.

Say hello to your 2021-22 Sabres

Skinner Eichel Reinhart

Asplund Mittelstadt Thompson

R2 Cozens Olofsson

Girgensons Eakin Okposo

Bjork

Dahlin Jokiharju

Bryson Ristolainen

Miller Borgen

Togarski

Warms the heart doesn't it?

Bro, you posted this, and then just hours later wrote out your 15th consecutive attempt at next year's roster containing literally zero additions or changes and presenting it like it's a good thing, after your millionth tirade about how Adams didn't do enough and doesn't know how to do anything and needs to make changes

This has to be a joke lmao 

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Honestly, the best thing that KA can do for next year is next to nothing.  He is incompetent at his job and therefore needs to be as little as possible and let the kids on the ice grow together.

Off-season game plan

1) Re-sign Ullmark

2) get a backup

3) re-sign McCabe if he's interested.  If not, not.

4) Get Berniers in the draft

5) Do whatever at HC.  If you want Granato fine.  At least he is showing some results and comes from a hockey family and Girardi is probably competent to coach the D.

That's it.  Now go let the kids plays.  

I posted a more sarcastic lineup last night, but the more I think about it why not it or something similar.  Bringing in out side help like Hall, KO, Skinner, Staal, Berglund, Montour, Miller and Hutton hasn't helped.  Lets just go with our kids and see what happens.  At least we know they try hard.

Forwards to Reinhart at 2C

Skinner Eichel Cozens

Olofsson Reinhart Thompson

Asplund Mitts Quinn

Girgensons Eakin Okposo

Bjork

Forwards with Reinhart back at Jack's wing

Skinner Eichel Reinhart

Asplund Mitts Thompson

R2 Cozens Olofsson

Girgensons Eakin KO

Bjork

Defense w McCabe

McCabe Ristolainen

Dahlin Jokiharju

Bryson Borgen

Miller

Defense wo McCabe

Dahlin Jokiharju

Borgen Ristolainen

Bryson Miller

Omg Eakin is around next year too?   Ugghhhh.  
 I’m missing Lazar even more already 

I think you are right   Stay out of the UFA market   (Maybe add a couple of depth players at the league minimum) 

The UFA market is minus Laughton was signed today    Only leaves Hyman as someone who I would want and the leafs are said to make him a priority to get signed 

You’ll be losing someone to Seattle, unless you can entice them to take Miller by giving them a 3rd rounder 

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

Omg Eakin is around next year too?   Ugghhhh.  
 I’m missing Lazar even more already 

I think you are right   Stay out of the UFA market   (Maybe add a couple of depth players at the league minimum) 

The UFA market is minus Laughton was signed today    Only leaves Hyman as someone who I would want and the leafs are said to make him a priority to get signed 

You’ll be losing someone to Seattle, unless you can entice them to take Miller by giving them a 3rd rounder 

Looking at cap geek , I wouldn’t even worry if they give Ullmark $5.5 or $6 on a shorter term deal. They will have plenty of cap space.  Just need to resign Samson and figure a way for Seattle to take Miller. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/2/2021 at 4:53 PM, Curt said:

General rule of thumb in UFA is about 100k per point, so they are roughly 40 pt guys, equals $4M.  Very rough estimate obviously.  These are exactly the type of guys I would want to add though.

I think it's about 120k now. 

My plan for 2021-2022

Buyout Eakin

Sign Reinhart 5x6.5mil

Sign Asplund 2x1.1mil

Sign Mitts 3x1.4mil

Sign Dahlin either to a 2x4mil bridge or 8x6.5mil

Sign Jokiharju 2x2mil

Sign Ullmark 3x4.75mil

Sign McCabe 1x2.85mil (He may need to based on his injury)

Sign Mrazek/Riemer 1x3.5mil

Trade FLA's 3rd to get Seattle to take Miller

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart

R2 - Cozens - Olofsson

Asplund - Mitts - Thompson

Bjork - Girgs - Okposo

Dahlin - Jokiharju

McCabe - Risto

Bryson - Borgen

Ullmark

Mrazek/Reimer

That leaves us with $11.3mil in cap space to push guys down the depth chart thus filling the additional 3 roster spots.

Any ideas?

A few thoughts I have is that this roster is too young and could certainly use Nick Foligno if he's willing to come here. Maybe trade Olofsson and/or Risto to better the overall roster. Essentially Olofsson isn't a true Top 6 forward but the only place to slot him is at 2RW. Okposo should be waived if he's not playing well and just buried in Rochester unless we need him as a pinch call up. (He plays much better once teams begin playing more defensive hockey on route to the playoffs) If he still isn't effective then buy him out at year's end as the cap hits aren't terrible at 3.3mil and 1.3mil where as buying him out this year carries a cap hit actually higher than a buried Okposo would.

Edited by thewookie1

11 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

My plan for 2021-2022

Buyout Eakin

Sign Reinhart 5x6.5mil

Sign Asplund 2x1.1mil

Sign Mitts 3x1.4mil

Sign Dahlin either to a 2x4mil bridge or 8x6.5mil

Sign Jokiharju 2x2mil

Sign Ullmark 3x4.75mil

Sign McCabe 1x2.85mil (He may need to based on his injury)

Sign Mrazek/Riemer 1x3.5mil

Trade FLA's 3rd to get Seattle to take Miller

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart

R2 - Cozens - Olofsson

Asplund - Mitts - Thompson

Bjork - Girgs - Okposo

Dahlin - Jokiharju

McCabe - Risto

Bryson - Borgen

Ullmark

Mrazek/Reimer

That leaves us with $11.3mil in cap space to push guys down the depth chart thus filling the additional 3 roster spots.

Any ideas?

A few thoughts I have is that this roster is too young and could certainly use Nick Foligno if he's willing to come here. Maybe trade Olofsson and/or Risto to better the overall roster. Essentially Olofsson isn't a true Top 6 forward but the only place to slot him is at 2RW. Okposo should be waived if he's not playing well and just buried in Rochester unless we need him as a pinch call up. (He plays much better once teams begin playing more defensive hockey on route to the playoffs) If he still isn't effective then buy him out at year's end as the cap hits aren't terrible at 3.3mil and 1.3mil where as buying him out this year carries a cap hit actually higher than a buried Okposo would.

This is a good base, adding 3 good skaters to this was what I was thinking when looking at your lines before reading that you came to same conclusion. 

It would be great for Cozens to take a huge step and still be the third best skater next to two new ones on line 2 next year. That would be my goal. I would probably explore one more vet for the defense, and then add another depth forward that would be considered 3rd liner on good team. I'd also be open to core swaps on top of that 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.