Fire Kevyn Adams

GASabresIUFAN

37 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

KA’s player evaluation is also lacking.  Hayden vs Murray for example.  Bringing in Eakin, Bjork, Hayden, Butcher and Dell at all thinking they might be serviceable NHL players.  They aren’t and weren’t  KA when he acquired them.  

In two years all he has shown he is that he is a terrible evaluator of NHL players and has had terrible roster construction.   However he has proven to be an effective yes man to the Pegulas.  

Jot also signed his depth players to short term deals. 

So far the only things KA has accomplished so far is tanking the team and cutting spending.  The on ice product is no better in year two.  

The truth is this season is that KA purposefully tanked the team given the budget constraints from the Pegulas.  That’s not ok IMHO.  I don’t think it helps the franchise move forward or help build a winning culture.  It’s just another wasted season and more evidence to the players the losing is ok.  

Spin it as a transition year if you want.  Give KA a pass for his short term deals and keeping spots open for the kids next year. Hope that Tuch pulls a Drury and changes the culture with his personality.  I get it.  Hope springs eternal.  

However do you really have any confidence that KA can make the right decisions to supplement the young core and build a winning team?  I think all the evidence at this juncture points against that belief.  

Any confidence? Yes, some. I am big fan of his choices with young players — both who he has targeted and how he has developed them so far.

I think he has made one egregious error so far — his handling of Ullmark and his replacement, but generally speaking our team is better then last year, with considerably less talent. I think he has been smart with his contracts, the types of personalities he has acquired, the front office decisions he has made and the culture he has chosen to emphasize. I think he has chosen the right path. I'm OK with more short-term pain for long-term gain. A franchise as downtrodden as ours cannot be fixed overnight.

I also think that he has proven absolutely nothing yet. The team has to continue to improve.

Just like Jason Botterill, I'm not going to have strong opinions on Adams until I see whether the seeds he is planting blossom or whither on the vine.

GMing is a long game.

Edited by dudacek

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Any confidence? Yes, some. I am big fan of his choices with young players — both who he has targeted and how he has developed them so far.

I think he has made one egregious error so far — his handling of Ullmark and his replacement, but generally speaking our team is better then last year, with considerably less talent. I think he has been smart with his contracts, the types of personalities he has acquired, the front office decisions he has made and the culture he has chosen to emphasize. I think he has chosen the right path. I'm OK with more short-term pain for long-term gain. A franchise as downtrodden as ours cannot be fixed overnight.

I also think that he has proven absolutely nothing yet. The team has to continue to improve.

Just like Jason Botterill, I'm not going to have strong opinions on Adams until I see whether the seeds he is planting blossom or whither on the vine.

GMing is a long game.

We aren’t better than last year. Points percentage is very slightly better, and our schedule has been WAY easier, not being in that East division 

If we continue as we’ve been trending since game 7, we’ll have an inferior points % soon with a significantly easier schedule. 

I’ll also add that GM is only THIS much of a long game in Buffalo. It’s literally being posted that Adams has TWO more years after this to show merely PROGRESS. According to the Pegulas, apparently. So, playoffs in 2025? 

5 years to build a playoff team lol 

Edited by Thorny

20 minutes ago, Thorny said:

We aren’t better than last year. Points percentage is very slightly better, and our schedule has been WAY easier, not being in that East division 

If we continue as we’ve been trending since game 7, we’ll have an inferior points % soon with a significantly easier schedule. 

I’ll also add that GM is only THIS much of a long game in Buffalo. It’s literally being posted that Adams has TWO more years after this to show merely PROGRESS. According to the Pegulas, apparently. So, playoffs in 2025? 

Anybody can BUILD a playoff team.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I should have clarified with a “minus the goaltending” this is a much more competitive team. As always, you’re welcome to disagree.

The bold is not an opinion I hold, or have ever expressed. I’m sure you know this, but not everyone will and you did quote my post.

• Like (+1) 1

Tell TM and Jbot that GMing is a long game.  They got 3 years each.  KA is on year 2 with zero progress.  Both Jbot and TM made progress in year 2.

Also KAs development of players is no different then Jbots so far.  Picks from Europe and college were returned to their leagues but once signed they were sent to the AHL such as Olofsson, Bryson, Asplund, Laaksonen and Fitzgerald.  Jbot left Nylander for years in the AHL to see if he’d harness his talent.  He also signed AHL vets to field good AHL teams.  The only draftees Jbot sent to the NHL after signing were Dahlin and Mitts.  Mitts played decently under Housley and probably would have been fine but for RK the killer of skill players.   KA will send Power directly to the NHL just like he did with Cozens. Quinn is being treated just like Nylander was except Quinn has blossomed while TM pick Nylander failed.

PS Jbot was particularly patient with Ullmark and Olofsson and that paid off handsomely 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Tell TM and Jbot that GMing is a long game.  They got 3 years each.  KA is on year 2 with zero progress.  Both Jbot and TM made progress in year 2.

Also KAs development of players is no different then Jbots so far.  Picks from Europe and college were returned to their leagues but once signed they were sent to the AHL such as Olofsson, Bryson, Asplund, Laaksonen and Fitzgerald.  Jbot left Nylander for years in the AHL to see if he’d harness his talent.  He also signed AHL vets to field good AHL teams.  The only draftees Jbot sent to the NHL after signing were Dahlin and Mitts.  Mitts played decently under Housley and probably would have been fine but for RK the killer of skill players.   KA will send Power directly to the NHL just like he did with Cozens. Quinn is being treated just like Nylander was except Quinn has blossomed whole TM pick Nylander failed.

Expectations were higher for Botterill and Adams doesn’t have a big “no no” like he did (ROR) 

@Thorny

This is the team we have been watching:

• Skinner Thompson Olofsson
  • Girgensons Cozens Okposo
  • Hinostroza Eakin Bjork 
  • Caggiula Hayden Asplund Ruotsalainen 
  • Dahlin Jokiharju
  • Bryson Miller
  • Hagg Pysyk Butcher
  • Tokarski/Anderson/Dell

This is team I think Adams is building for as soon as next year

• ??? Mittelstadt Tuch
  • Quinn Krebs Peterka Asplund 
  • Dahlin Jokiharju
  • Power ???
  • Samuelsson Bryson ???
  • Lukkonnen ???

At least half the team will be different. That’s a team that he is counting on to compete. That’s the team I will be judging him on.

• Like (+1) 5

21 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Expectations were higher for Botterill and Adams doesn’t have a big “no no” like he did (ROR) 

Fair or not, Botterill was handed a pair of foundational centres. Adams was given one and asked to trade him.

25 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Also KAs development of players is no different then Jbots so far.  Picks from Europe and college were returned to their leagues but once signed they were sent to the AHL such as Olofsson, Bryson, Asplund, Laaksonen and Fitzgerald.  Jbot left Nylander for years in the AHL to see if he’d harness his talent.  He also signed AHL vets to field good AHL teams.  The only draftees Jbot sent to the NHL after signing were Dahlin and Mitts.  Mitts played decently under Housley and probably would have been fine but for RK the killer of skill players.   KA will send Power directly to the NHL just like he did with Cozens. Quinn is being treated just like Nylander was except Quinn has blossomed whole TM pick Nylander failed.

Mitts, Thompson and Nylander have been handled dramatically differently than Quinn, Krebs, Samuelsson and Peterka. The latter are playing in leagues where they can dominate. The former were all put in situations where they were in over their heads. 

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

However do you really have any confidence that KA can make the right decisions to supplement the young core and build a winning team?  I think all the evidence at this juncture points against that belief.  

He added Tuch, Levi, and multiple first round and 2nd round picks via trade but this is your take away. I don't understand the hang up on the Jags or not understanding that this year is year 1 for him. You can't just add to a roster, this isn't the NFL where the UFA market allows you to remake a team. 

What possible step could Adams have taken? We know Holtby wouldn't sign here and we known that Nadelkjovic couldn't be traded here. Outside of that, what or who should he have targeted? 

44 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Mitts, Thompson and Nylander have been handled dramatically differently than Quinn, Krebs, Samuelsson and Peterka. The latter are playing in leagues where they can dominate. The former were all put in situations where they were in over their heads. 

100% this. If Jbott was running the team Samuelsson, JJ, Quinn, and Krebs would all be in Buffalo but Adams was like "hold on" and sent all of them down because he knows this is a bridge year where the only outcome that matters is development. Power should be added to this, no chance in hell Botts sends him back to Michigan. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, dudacek said:

@Thorny

• Hinostroza Eakin Bjork 
  • Dahlin Jokiharju
  • Bryson Miller
  • Hagg Pysyk Butcher
  • Tokarski/Anderson/Dell

• ??? Mittelstadt Tuch
  • Dahlin Jokiharju
  • Power ???
  • Samuelsson Bryson ???
  • Lukkonnen ???

At least half the team will be different. That’s a team that he is counting on to compete. That’s the team I will be judging him on.

This is a key component, the team he is icing versus the team he is building. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Also KAs development of players is no different then Jbots so far.  Picks from Europe and college were returned to their leagues but once signed they were sent to the AHL such as Olofsson, Bryson, Asplund, Laaksonen and Fitzgerald.  Jbot left Nylander for years in the AHL to see if he’d harness his talent.  He also signed AHL vets to field good AHL teams.  The only draftees Jbot sent to the NHL after signing were Dahlin and Mitts.  Mitts played decently under Housley and probably would have been fine but for RK the killer of skill players.   KA will send Power directly to the NHL just like he did with Cozens. Quinn is being treated just like Nylander was except Quinn has blossomed while TM pick Nylander failed.

PS Jbot was particularly patient with Ullmark and Olofsson and that paid off handsomely 

The bold just is not accurate and many of us had discussed why. This is year 1 and he cleared the decks just like McDermott did in his first year. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Wookie, You need to turn Your Sarcasm Detector on. 

I have had quite a few posts in this very thread all about  How Last Season was to appease Pegula and not making any long term commitments to have maximum flexibility moving forward. 

My sarcasm detector is in the shop at this time 🙂

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

@JohnC who said bring up JJP or Quinn on a permanent basis? I said Samuelsson, Murray and R2 should have been given a legit shot at permanent roster spots that they earned last season.  Instead KA blocked them through his JAG acquisitions, which is something he said he wouldn’t do.   R2 and Murray are older prospects with nothing left to prove in Rochester.  Samuelsson is younger but with nothing left to prove in the AHL either.  We need to find out if his skating is NHL level long term and leaving him in Roch while Hagg and Butcher skate in Buffalo is a waste. 

@GASabresIUFANregarding Samuelsson he did get some introductory playing time last year. I'm sure it was a beneficial experience for him. This year he is getting more playing time and a higher role than he would with the Sabres. I wouldn't be surprised if he is called up sometime this year. If not, playing a lot in Rochester is certainly not going to hurt his development. On the contrary it will benefit him more than if he had limited minutes in Buffalo. I'm sure you will agree that he is on the doorstep of arriving at the big club, and then staying there for the long-term. 

R2 did get playing time this year, and I believe some last year. He was sent down because he wasn't much of a factor. He is far from being a consequential player to waste energy over. And although I like Murray's size and willingness to play around the net he is also a less than a consequential player. 

The JAGs that you are directing your ire towards are veterans who at least for the short-term can provide some leadership for this young locker-room. You don't need to get so concerned over our numerous JAGs. They will steadily be dispatched and replaced with the younger fellows. That's the plan and that's the standard process in a rebuild.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

@Thorny

• Hinostroza Eakin Bjork 
  • Dahlin Jokiharju
  • Bryson Miller
  • Hagg Pysyk Butcher
  • Tokarski/Anderson/Dell

• ??? Mittelstadt Tuch
  • Dahlin Jokiharju
  • Power ???
  • Samuelsson Bryson ???
  • Lukkonnen ???

Ya, I agree - half will change. I don’t deny that and I don’t and haven’t denied that within the context of his strategy, it’s much too soon to pass judgement as the “results” aren’t known yet. 

I’m just not in the business of being able to more-less write off the results of the half or so that IS here, assuming the change-over is enough to bridge the gap to competition with other teams: particularly relative to the fact other teams also undergo changeover. 

Believe it or not, I do understand the idea that Adams intends for the roster to change. I don’t need to be convinced of that haha. My point is merely that more positive results this year would make me feel more comfortable the lot coming have a fighting chance. 

Not saying they won’t, regardless, but no I don’t really have much time for the “overall results don’t matter” argument, as much as it’s thrown about. Yes, even for this year. 

Had the team maintained its pace from the start of the year, until today, how excited would everyone be, for the future? Is there an argument that results *wouldn’t* have boded well? That we’d rather be in pick position? 

Of course results right now matter. Just cause Adams shouldn’t be “judged” now doesn’t mean trends can’t be seen, positive or negative 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

I feel like the context in which I’m presenting this stuff is being missed slightly: I’m not bringing up a few concerns about the season’s results because we are losing more than we are winning. It’s coming up a bit more lately for me because we’ve won 3 times in the last 20 tries. Or: we have 3 wins over a full quarter season. 

I mean, come on guys. Keep your eyes on the prize? “We play not win the game, HELLO?! You don’t play to just play it”. No?!

Nobel Prize, Otto, Nobel Prize!

Edited by Thorny

16 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Ya, I agree - half will change. I don’t deny that and I don’t and haven’t denied that within the context of his strategy, it’s much too soon to pass judgement as the “results” aren’t known yet. 

I’m just not in the business of being able to more-less write off the results of the half or so that IS here, assuming the change-over is enough to bridge the gap to competition with other teams: particularly relative to the fact other teams also undergo changeover. 

Believe it or not, I do understand the idea that Adams intends for the roster to change. I don’t need to be convinced of that haha. My point is merely that more positive results this year would make me feel more comfortable the lot coming have a fighting chance. 

Not saying they won’t, regardless, but no I don’t really have much time for the “overall results don’t matter” argument, as much as it’s thrown about. Yes, even for this year. 

Had the team maintained its pace from the start of the year, until today, how excited would everyone be, for the future? Is there an argument that results *wouldn’t* have boded well? That we’d rather be in pick position? 

Of course results right now matter. Just cause Adams shouldn’t be “judged” now doesn’t mean trends can’t be seen, positive or negative 

My point is — and maybe this more a response to @GASabresIUFAN than you — is that if you are trying to

a) reserve spots on next year's team for top prospects and the Eichel return

b) maximize the amount of cap space you have to supplement them

and C) hang on to the futures in your asset pool,

you've really shrunk the pool of viable options available to you on this year's team.

Edited by dudacek

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

My point is — and maybe this more a response to @GASabresIUFAN than you — is that if you are trying to

you've really shrunk the pool of viable options available to you on this year's team.

All true, but still...

I can't help feeling like (i) the team, next year and in subsequent years, would be substantially better off if they were scrapping this year for a 85ish-point season, and not losing 17 out of 20, again getting everyone used to losing and alienating the fan base even further, (ii) that 85ish-point outcome was eminently achievable if the team had secured reasonable NHL goaltending and (iii) securing reasonable NHL goaltending was eminently achievable at some point in the last 2 offseasons, both of which came and went with KA sitting out the goalie musical chairs game.

Am I hopeful that next year's team, with Quinn, Krebs, JJP, Tuch, Samuelsson, Power and UPL will be able to take a huge step?  Of course, and I don't think that hope is from outer space.  But KA's choices have made it less likely to occur IMHO.

• Like (+1) 2

@dudacek @LGR4GM

The facts don't support your arguments

Nylander vs Quinn

Nylander (8th overall 2016 by TM)

D+1 (TM) signed because of European exception to OHL rules and assigned to AHL .43 pts per game.  4 late season NHL game

D+2 (Jbot) AHL . 47 pts per game. 3 late season NHL games

D+3 (Jbot) AHL .63 pts per game. 12 late season NHL games 

Quinn (8th overall 2020 by KA)

D+1 (KA) signed do to COVID and sent to AHL.  9 pts in 15 games .6 pts per game

D+2 (KA) AHL 1.41 pts per game so far.

I don't see any difference in the handling of Nylander and Quinn who were signed and assigned to the AHL do to unique circumstances.  Jbot was clearly very patient with Nylander, but then wisely traded him in that off-season for Jokiharju.

Mitts vs. Cozens

Mitts (8th overall in 2017) by Jbot

D+1 College hockey at Minn. Signed after the college season

D+2 (Jbot) NHL 25 pts in 77 games (under HCPH) .33 pts per game.

D+3 (Jbot) NHL for 31 games (9 pts under HCRK). Sent down to AHL for 36 games

Cozens (7th overall in 2019) by Jbot

D+1 (Jbot) Returns to the WHL 

D+2 (KA) NHL 13 pts in 41 games .32 pts per game

D+3 (KA) NHL 14 pts in 27 games.  

Similar draft picks and JBot returned both to CHL/NCAA.  Both played in the NHL D+2 and put up very similar numbers. Considering the comments here, many believed that Cozens would suffer the same fate at Mitts in their D+3 years and get sent down.  Early this season that looked like a real possibility.  

Samuelsson vs Asplund vs Johnson vs JJP

Asplund (33 rd overall in 2015 by TM)

D+1 (TM) Sweden

D+2 (Jbot) Sweden

D+3 (Jbot) AHL 

D+4 (Jbot) AHL with NHL callups

Samuelsson (32nd overall in 2018 by Jbot)

D+1 (Jbot) College

D+2 (Jbot) College

D+3 (KA) AHL with NHL callup

Johnson (31st 2019 by jbot)

D+1 (Jbot) College)

D+2 (KA) College

D+3 (KA) College

JJP (34th overall in 2020 by KA)

D+1 (KA) Europe

D+2 (KA) AHL 19 pts in 19 games

Similarly drafted players treated again identically, except JJP who is in the AHL a year sooner then Asplund and Samuelsson and 2 years before Johnson.  None of these players have been rushed to the NHL.  Jbot's patience with Asplund is paying dividends now. 

Thompson vs Krebs

Thompson (26th overall in 2016 by STL)

D+1 (STL) - College plus 16 AHL games

D+2 (STL)  AHL 30 games and then 41 NHL games in 2nd half of the season. 9pts in 41 NHL games

D+3 (Jbot) NHL 65 games (12 pts), 8 AHL games (pts ) to finish season

D+4 (Jbot) Starts season in AHL with 12 pts in 16 games.  Injured in 1st NHL callup game

D+5 (KA) NHL

Krebs (17th overall in 2019 by LV)

D+1 (LV) returned to WHL

D+2 (LV) Starts in NHL (1 pts in 4 games), then returned to WHL, then finishes season in AHL (5 pts in 5 games)

D+3 (LV) Starts in NHL (0 pts in 9 game w a -6), then sent down to AHL (5 pts in 2 games) and then traded to Buffalo - (KA) starts him in AHL 11 pts in 12 games so far.

Thompson finished strong in the NHL with Stl in D+2 and had a good camp earning the start in the NHL in D+3.  I'm pretty sure that Jbot would have left him in the AHL if acquired mid season like KA did.  The only criticism you can level at Jbot was that Thompson should have been sent down earlier.

There is literally no evidence the Jbot would be treating Quinn, JJP, or Krebs differently then KA has, especially when you are arguing that this is really KA's year 1. Dahlin is the only Jbot prospect who played in the NHL D+1 and he put up 44 pts as a rookie and in Jbot's second year.  In Jbot 1st season there isn't a single prospect who played any significant minutes.  Mitts played 6 games, Ullmark 5, Fasching 5 and Guhle 18.  Baptiste, who was D+5, played the most at 33 games.   As to Power, Jbot seems to have worked with his draftees and likely would have returned Power to Jbot's alma mater for a championship run.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

All true, but still...

I can't help feeling like (i) the team, next year and in subsequent years, would be substantially better off if they were scrapping this year for a 85ish-point season, and not losing 17 out of 20, again getting everyone used to losing and alienating the fan base even further, (ii) that 85ish-point outcome was eminently achievable if the team had secured reasonable NHL goaltending and (iii) securing reasonable NHL goaltending was eminently achievable at some point in the last 2 offseasons, both of which came and went with KA sitting out the goalie musical chairs game.

Am I hopeful that next year's team, with Quinn, Krebs, JJP, Tuch, Samuelsson, Power and UPL will be able to take a huge step?  Of course, and I don't think that hope is from outer space.  But KA's choices have made it less likely to occur IMHO.

Exactly.

This is the bet Adams has made and the decision we can't really judge him on until we see where Mitts/Tage/Dahlin/Jokiharju/Cozens/Power/Quinn/Krebs etcetera are in the next year or two.

This board is definitely coming from a place of 10 years of failures resulting from the exact process Adams has chosen to adapt. No one can blame us for being skeptical of the idea that he can do it better.

However, with the exception of Dahlin, the hockey department and the roster are coming from the perspective of - at the most - two years of this. Close to half of next year's team will not have been exposed to it all.

Adams is betting they will survive.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I fully understand KA's strategy.  It's called a tank.  TM did it, Jbot did it year 1 as well.  Basically clear the decks and bring in your guys to build your team.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.