Fire Kevyn Adams

GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, Sabre fan said:

clearly KA cannot be trusted to handle the team and I fear that he'll give away Linus now that he (Ullmark) has voiced his intention to try out free agency. We wil have Hutton and whoever as our goal-tending next year? I would have much preferred he not trade Hall at all then do what he did was embarrass the team yet again. No wonder we are the laughing stock of the NHL...

Hutton isn’t under contract. There are plenty of good goaltenders who are free agents. 

I think KA learned a valuable lesson, or at least I hope he did, by giving TH a modified no trade list. That was a big error for a one year contract. Had he not done that he probably could've gotten more for Hall.

I'm still sad Lazar got dealt. He is such a good young man, I want him to succeed. I worry he will get buried in the press box in Boston.

I'm not saying KA should be fired, cuz he seems like he's a good man. I just hope he's not so nice that he's going to get bent over every time he makes a deal.

7 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

I think KA learned a valuable lesson, or at least I hope he did, by giving TH a modified no trade list. That was a big error for a one year contract. Had he not done that he probably could've gotten more for Hall.

I'm still sad Lazar got dealt. He is such a good young man, I want him to succeed. I worry he will get buried in the press box in Boston.

I'm not saying KA should be fired, cuz he seems like he's a good man. I just hope he's not so nice that he's going to get bent over every time he makes a deal.

Given how much people have believed that Krueger was calling the shots and he was a Pegula darling does it make sense to allow for the possibility that perhaps Adams didn't want to provide an NTC to Hall but was forced to do so?

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

The future is unknown, but I can easily see Boston (particularly the fans) liking Lazar a lot more than they like Hall, just as we have. Hall will have the assists on the PP, just like here where he got to play with Olofsson, Eichel, Dahlin, and Reinhart, but Lazar can become a mainstay on a Boston-style 4th line for several seasons.

3 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

The future is unknown, but I can easily see Boston (particularly the fans) liking Lazar a lot more than they like Hall, just as we have. Hall will have the assists on the PP, just like here where he got to play with Olofsson, Eichel, Dahlin, and Reinhart, but Lazar can become a mainstay on a Boston-style 4th line for several seasons.

Hall will do what JJ has done in his limited showing with a new team; play at a considerably higher level then he did here.  A million reasons to speculate as to why.  I didn't mind Lazar but he is replaceable and Bruins fans will end up liking Hall much more then Lazar because he will make the bigger impact.  Boston is only paying half of Hall's salary (what is that like $3 mil) for a shot at another cup.  They also barely gave up anything in the trade.  If I'm a Bruins fan then whatever Hall gives me is gravy and if he can get back to his MVP level then look out.  There's very little risk for them after this trade.

Lets let Adams defend himself in his own words.

If there was a 24 hour cam and audio on GMs during the lead up to the deadline I'd be watching with my favorite beverage and some snacks. 

I can imagine a split screen when GMs are on a call together. Drama!

Edited by Norcal

How is KA being set up for success?  He has no prior GM experience, the scouting staff was decimated, he inherited an awful head coach and he has no assistant GMs.  That is a recipe for disaster, and I think we are seeing that now.

After our playoff drought and consistently poor play over the last 10 years or so, It is not fair to expect that Sabres fans will accept that he will learn from his mistakes or learn on the job.  This is not where the team should be with its hockey leadership.  After everything, you would have thought the lesson to be learned is that this team needs strong and experienced management at all levels.  The Sabres have made poor decisions with their coaches and GMs, with most sharing one common characteristic: no prior experience in the position they were hired for (yes, I am generalizing and not forgetting about the prior experience of Nolan and Bylsma).

Unfortunately, the trading deadline went about as poorly as you would expect for a GM with no prior experience and no other resources (i.e., no President of Hockey Operations or Assistant GMs) in a complex situation because of cap limitations and Covid issues.  We have the draft approaching, and the Sabres likely will have a high pick, but we will need to depend on a scouting staff that has shrunk significantly which will impact the ability to evaluate potential picks complicated by Covid.

KA could become an effective GM, but it is highly unlikely under the current circumstances.  He should be moved to another position within the organization and an experienced GM and President should be hired, along with a new and experienced coach.

2 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

How is KA being set up for success?  He has no prior GM experience, the scouting staff was decimated, he inherited an awful head coach and he has no assistant GMs.  That is a recipe for disaster, and I think we are seeing that now.

After our playoff drought and consistently poor play over the last 10 years or so, It is not fair to expect that Sabres fans will accept that he will learn from his mistakes or learn on the job.  This is not where the team should be with its hockey leadership.  After everything, you would have thought the lesson to be learned is that this team needs strong and experienced management at all levels.  The Sabres have made poor decisions with their coaches and GMs, with most sharing one common characteristic: no prior experience in the position they were hired for (yes, I am generalizing and not forgetting about the prior experience of Nolan and Bylsma).

Unfortunately, the trading deadline went about as poorly as you would expect for a GM with no prior experience and no other resources (i.e., no President of Hockey Operations or Assistant GMs) in a complex situation because of cap limitations and Covid issues.  We have the draft approaching, and the Sabres likely will have a high pick, but we will need to depend on a scouting staff that has shrunk significantly which will impact the ability to evaluate potential picks complicated by Covid.

KA could become an effective GM, but it is highly unlikely under the current circumstances.  He should be moved to another position within the organization and an experienced GM and President should be hired, along with a new and experienced coach.

He did fine at the deadline. Sheesh. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

I think you touched on some of the reasons the scouting depts and front office have been pared down. 

The unprecedented pandemic facing teams since last year has significantly cut into the amount of money generated from all things hockey. 

No money coming in, no money to spend. 

Not to mention the abbreviated or canceled seasons of many prospects around the world, which cuts into the chances to scout a player anyways. 

Could Adams use some help, yes.

Is it coming soon, supposedly. 

There have been reports of the team adding to their front office and scouting staff already, moving forward.

Those interviews are said to be happening now. As business returns to normal around the world in the coming months, the team will be back up to full operations. 

Edited by Norcal

29 minutes ago, inkman said:

He did fine at the deadline. Sheesh. 

By what standard?  Is the roster better today then before he started making trades?  No, it’s worse.  Is the future of the team noticeably better following the trades? No.  He picked up a 4th line player who is a step down from Lazar and his draft picks are worth about 80% of a depth player.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

By what standard?  Is the roster better today then before he started making trades?  No, it’s worse.  Is the future of the team noticeably better following the trades? No.  He picked up a 4th line player who is a step down from Lazar and his draft picks are worth about 80% of a depth player.  

Minus Lazar, who everyone likes but is a bottom of the roster guy, the trades we’re extremely typical of a bottom dweller team looking to unload UFAs at the deadline.   

• Like (+1) 4

We bought 2/3 season of Hall.  It cost Pegula a ton of money for that 2/3 season, but I really don't give a *****.  It's not my money and it was a much bigger swing than any other player we might have signed instead.  And after we got tired of his lack of effect on the game we moved him for a scratch off ticket.  So, Pegula bought a handful of goals and a scratch off ticket for more money than I'll ever see.  Meh.  For a fan it is a found scratch off ticket.  It's not like he was a player we developed and sunk time into and had a future with us.  It's a freebie pick for a mercenary as far as I am concerned.

Having said all that, ***** you trade deadline day.  I'm sick and tired of watching the team I root for get worse every damned season at this time.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Weave said:

We bought 2/3 season of Hall.  It cost Pegula a ton of money for that 2/3 season, but I really don't give a *****.  It's not my money and it was a much bigger swing than any other player we might have signed instead.  And after we got tired of his lack of effect on the game we moved him for a scratch off ticket.  So, Pegula bought a handful of goals and a scratch off ticket for more money than I'll ever see.  Meh.  For a fan it is a found scratch off ticket.  It's not like he was a player we developed and sunk time into and had a future with us.  It's a freebie pick for a mercenary as far as I am concerned.

Having said all that, ***** you trade deadline day.  I'm sick and tired of watching the team I root for get worse every damned season at this time.

He could have used that 8 million to hire scouts, a back up goalie and a decent RW.  That would have been a smarter use of those funds.  It still wouldn’t have helped in the end.  RK was just that bad.

• Like (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He could have used that 8 million to hire scouts, a back up goalie and a decent RW.  That would have been a smarter use of those funds.  It still wouldn’t have helped in the end.  RK was just that bad.

On October 11th you were "completely shocked and completely thrilled. A gusty move and completely worth the risk".  Seriously revisionist history here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Weave said:

On October 11th you were "completely shocked and completely thrilled. A gusty move and completely worth the risk".  Seriously revisionist history here.

As I stated before I was thrilled until I realized what RK had in mind for Skinner, that KA wouldn't upgrade the backup goalie or get a RW.  

PS Go look at what I wrote about this team early in the season once RK showed the lineup he was going to use. I was criticized time and time again for being overly negative.  I wrote that we should play the kids and that this entire season should be an evaluation season for our young players.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The trade deadline is not the period of time where you can reshape your roster. It's the offseason deals  where meaningfully changes usually happen to one's roster. You make it out as if there were alternative trade options that would have brought a better return than what we got for a Hall, a non-productive UFA. There was no team in  the league that would have been foolish enough to offer a first round pick or impactful players for a high cost reclamation player. Whether a trade was made with Boston or any other team the return would have been in the same value vicinity. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

I think KA did fine. 

He did a great job bringing in Hall and Staal, and I don’t think many of us expected them to crap out the way that they did. He got what he could for them. Nobody expected them to land here to begin with. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, inkman said:

Minus Lazar, who everyone likes but is a bottom of the roster guy, the trades we’re extremely typical of a bottom dweller team looking to unload UFAs at the deadline.   

I'll go a step further. The trade deadline made the Sabres better.

Taylor Hall and particularly Eric Staal were anchors. Removing Staal's tired legs and Hall's self-absorbed ways created a vacuum on the team that is being filled by two better players right now: Thompson and Mittelstadt. To a lesser extent Bryson and Asplund also have supplanted Montour and Lazar.

Their departure probably also probably rearranged the locker room pecking order gave space to players who are simply happier to be here.

Never mind that having 10 picks in June instead of 5 puts Adams in a much better position to hit refresh this fall.

4 hours ago, Weave said:

I generally agree with this theme in your posting.

Look at the way the team is playing. I don't think that's what happened this year at all.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I think KA did fine. 

He did a great job bringing in Hall and Staal, and I don’t think many of us expected them to crap out the way that they did. He got what he could for them. Nobody expected them to land here to begin with. 

How could he have done a great job bringing in two players who absolutely stunk up the joint, especially when those moves represented the key moves of his offseason? 

Is the requirement of a GM simply to create a roster that looks good on paper, results be damned? 

Botterill was crucified for not bringing in a 2C, yet Johansson was a significantly better player here when he played 2C than Staal. 

So Adams did a “great” job because he scored brownie points for bringing in a player who looked good in theory? 

If that’s how our GMs are evaluated, what a Cake job it is. 

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

I'll go a step further. The trade deadline made the Sabres better.

Taylor Hall and particularly Eric Staal were anchors. Removing Staal's tired legs and Hall's self-absorbed ways created a vacuum on the team that is being filled by two better players right now: Thompson and Mittelstadt. To a lesser extent Bryson and Asplund also have supplanted Montour and Lazar.

Their departure probably also probably rearranged the locker room pecking order gave space to players who are simply happier to be here.

Never mind that having 10 picks in June instead of 5 puts Adams in a much better position to hit refresh this fall.

I generally agree with this theme in your posting.

Look at the way the team is playing. I don't think that's what happened this year at all.

Golf clap for Adams by making the roster better by ridding it of his two biggest offseason additions 

*head desk*

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It’s it would be highly unusual for a last in the league “seller” team to improve at the deadline.  These deadline trades are about moving out short term assets in exchange for assets that could help the team in the future.

I wouldn’t think this needs to be explained because it’s at the very core of 90% of what makes the deadline an interesting time, but apparently it needed to be said.

I would argue that the team picked up useful future assets for players who would have provided zero future benefit to the team.  And they swapped Lazar for a player who was underutilized in Boston and has a chance to take on a larger role.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.