Dylan Cozens Returns to Practice 4/10

Brawndo

29 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Yep. I was at work and didn’t see that. The NHL, of course, leaves it up to the refs.

Rule 42 - Boarding
42.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player who checks an opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to be thrown violently in the boards. The severity of the penalty, based upon the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.
There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the application of this rule by the Referees. The onus is on the player applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a vulnerable position and if so, he must avoid the contact. However, there is also a responsibility on the player with the puck to avoid placing himself in a dangerous and vulnerable position. This balance must be considered by the Referees when applying this rule.

I have every confidence that a Sabre would have been penalized for that same hit.

If the last sentence is true, then you are knowingly watching the equivalent of professional wrestling.

21 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

If the last sentence is true, then you are knowingly watching the equivalent of professional wrestling.

Hi. My name is SwampD. Nice to meet. You are obviously new to the board and haven’t been reading my posts about officiating for the past 10+ years.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Yep. I was at work and didn’t see that. The NHL, of course, leaves it up to the refs.

Rule 42 - Boarding
42.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player who checks an opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to be thrown violently in the boards. The severity of the penalty, based upon the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.
There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the application of this rule by the Referees. The onus is on the player applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a vulnerable position and if so, he must avoid the contact. However, there is also a responsibility on the player with the puck to avoid placing himself in a dangerous and vulnerable position. This balance must be considered by the Referees when applying this rule.

I have every confidence that a Sabre would have been penalized for that same hit.

I agree.  Cozens is learning a tough lesson that he must always protect himself.  There should have at least been a boarding call.  Tough hit and I hope the kid is OK.

I see him as our Jonathan Toews - he shows all the qualities so far.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BuffalOhio said:

I agree.  Cozens is learning a tough lesson that he must always protect himself.  There should have at least been a boarding call.  Tough hit and I hope the kid is OK.

I see him as our Jonathan Toews - he shows all the qualities so far.

The kids these days put themselves in vulnerable positions all the time because they have grown up playing hockey without opponents trying to cut them in half.  So they have not had to learn the skills to avoid being cut in half.  

It's a different game now with way less emphasis on physicality, and all the poorer for it, too.

I didn't have that much of a problem with the hit on Cozens.

Ruhwedel's knee/knee on Dahlin was pretty bad however.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

The kids these days put themselves in vulnerable positions all the time because they have grown up playing hockey without opponents trying to cut them in half.  So they have not had to learn the skills to avoid being cut in half.  

It's a different game now with way less emphasis on physicality, and all the poorer for it, too.

I didn't have that much of a problem with the hit on Cozens.

Ruhwedel's knee/knee on Dahlin was pretty bad however.

Except for the teams that win.

8 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

That was a BS hit btw, the puck was long gone and they were far from the boards. That wasn't finishing a check, the check hadn't started before the puck was long gone.

And yet, not a penalty.  And yet, Sabres broadcast crew agreed with the non call.  

6 hours ago, SwampD said:

Rule 42 - Boarding

Especially if it was on Crosby.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

I'm going to disagree. I love Cozens, but it wasn't that bad of a hit. It's unnecessary and cheap but nothing special. Happens all the time, you guys are just too used to watched hitless soft Sabres hockey. 

The Dahlin hit was worse imo. hit the knee. You hit a star (allegedly) player like that there should be responses up and down the ice. Nobody even pushed anybody on that one.

We have zero leadership and zero team comradery. they're all just cashing pay cheques hoping to get out one day. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm going to disagree. I love Cozens, but it wasn't that bad of a hit. It's unnecessary and cheap but nothing special. Happens all the time, you guys are just too used to watched hitless soft Sabres hockey. 

The Dahlin hit was worse imo. hit the knee. You hit a star (allegedly) player like that there should be responses up and down the ice. Nobody even pushed anybody on that one.

We have zero leadership and zero team comradery. they're all just cashing pay cheques hoping to get out one day. 

I agree. There is no player here to voice to the rookies that they need to stand their ground, no player here that instills fear in to the opponents should they try to take advantage of the less aggressive players. For as much as the NHL, hell, some fans on this very forum, want that type of aggressive kill or be killed instinct out of the game, the bottom line is that hockey is a highly competitive, violent sport, where at the top levels, the top league in the world, the NHL, it's a dog eat dog world, and winner take all. We need to get bigger, stronger, faster, and we need snarl, style and an identity that if you mess with us, were coming, and it won't be pretty.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

This is just wrong. Hits like this don’t happen all the time.

I’m not saying suspension worthy, but it was absolutely worth 2 minutes.

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

This is just wrong. Hits like this don’t happen all the time.

I’m not saying suspension worthy, but it was absolutely worth 2 minutes.

I don't disagree that it should have been a penalty, just that it wasn't all that big, unique, or special. Definitely unnecessary, but they happen quite often. 

• Brawndo changed the title to Dylan Cozens Day to Day with an UBI
6 hours ago, BfloSabresFan said:

I think these injuries will extend the relationship between the Sabres and Kruger.  It can be used as Kruger's excuse for the team not progressing in his system.  

It's possible. 

If that's the case, I think the writing is on the wall for the next few seasons. We'd likely be poor again next season with another year of Krueger. With Jack's NMC about to kick in we likely deal him in season to the highest bidder, once talk heats up that the 2022 draft is the "deepest since 2003" or whatever and we set our sights on a low finish and a top pick, and a new rebuild centered around Eichel/Reinhart/Risto v2 in Cozens/Quinn/Dahlin and new picks. New timeline, playoffs not the expectation for a few years. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.