Dylan Cozens Returns to Practice 4/10

Brawndo

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

Hey, can't complain about a freed up Saturday night.

Totally. I didn't watch the games last week. I wasn’t going to watch last night, but my buddy said he was bored and came over to watch. I was pissed at him by the second period.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

That timeline is more in line with players getting their bell rung, or eggs scrambled.

YMMV more with concussions.

"Getting your bell rung" is a concussion.

It's a question of severity, with lots of factors at play.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

sincerely hope Cozens does not have a concussion at his young age...they (concussions) have ruined so many great players careers

Cozens has almost certainly had a concussion at some point in his playing career. Everyone gets clipped at some point. 

1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

That was a BS hit btw, the puck was long gone and they were far from the boards. That wasn't finishing a check, the check hadn't started before the puck was long gone.

The puck wasn't long gone. They were pretty far from the boards. I don't know how dirty a hit it really was. I'm more inclined to think that Cozens learned a hard lesson about not protecting himself.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, PASabreFan said:

The puck wasn't long gone. They were pretty far from the boards. I don't know how dirty a hit it really was. I'm more inclined to think that Cozens learned a hard lesson about not protecting himself.

I was waiting to see this. I agree. 

20 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

No.

https://www.usahockeyrulebook.com/page/show/1084647-rule-603-boarding

22 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The "far away from the boards" part is what made it a really dangerous hit.  It was certainly careless.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That's what I saw, more careless than dirty.

I'm not gonna judge intent here, which is where "dirty" comes from, but that was a hit that the Pen player just can't make.  Maybe reckless is a better word than careless.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Kruppstahl said:

Darren Dreger was on the Instigators today.

He says the league isn't doing anything with the Cozens hit.

Of course they aren't. I mean Why would they?

Rule 603 | Boarding

(Note) Boarding is the action where a player pushes, trips or body checks an opponent causing them to go dangerously into the boards. This includes: Accelerating through the check to a player who is in a vulnerable position, driving an opponent excessively into the boards with no focus on or intent to play the puck, or any check delivered for the purpose of punishment or intimidation that causes the opponent to go unnecessarily and excessively into the boards.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The NHL doesn't play by USA Hockey rules.

Man, you must have hated Vanek.

6 minutes ago, BuffalOhio said:

This ain't USA Hockey ...

Yep. I was at work and didn’t see that. The NHL, of course, leaves it up to the refs.

Rule 42 - Boarding
42.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player who checks an opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to be thrown violently in the boards. The severity of the penalty, based upon the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.
There is an enormous amount of judgment involved in the application of this rule by the Referees. The onus is on the player applying the check to ensure his opponent is not in a vulnerable position and if so, he must avoid the contact. However, there is also a responsibility on the player with the puck to avoid placing himself in a dangerous and vulnerable position. This balance must be considered by the Referees when applying this rule.

I have every confidence that a Sabre would have been penalized for that same hit.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.