Adams wants to hire college coach???

freester

I think credibility with the next hire is hugely important. When things aren't going well and adversity hits. We want the players saying to themselves" he's been through this before, he know's what he's doing, we'll come out of it, if we stick with the program".

Just now, Torpedo Forecheck said:

I think credibility with the next hire is hugely important. When things aren't going well and adversity hits. We want the players saying to themselves" he's been through this before, he know's what he's doing, we'll come out of it, if we stick with the program".

Ask yourself these questions for Ralph?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Yup, it would be a huge mistake. Maybe they'd get lucky but I'd be more flabbergasted and angry with this franchise then at any other point than I've ever been, if they actually, truly have the gall to hire another person with no NHL experience. Especially where the motivation is clearly cash. 

I promise I won't even speculate in the coaching thread of his hire, should it happen. (As it invariably, understandably turns to optimism, anyways)

I agree with most of this, but I don't think the motivation would be cash.  I think to get a star college coach to join this train wreck of a team, the Sabres will have to pay pretty close to what they are paying RK, which I think is in the top 30% or so of what NHL coaches are getting. 

As I mentioned in a different thread, I think if they hire an NCAA coach, it's largely due to wariness about hiring from the old-boy NHL network.  I think TP feels like he tried that with TM, DDB and JB, and it failed each time.

1 minute ago, Sabre fan said:

yes please...and maybe Rutherford as Pres? Need someone running this sinking ship

Sure.  He doesn’t really get me excited, but putting anyone with a clue as a layer between the Pegulas and a decision seems like a good idea.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I agree with most of this, but I don't think the motivation would be cash.  I think to get a star college coach to join this train wreck of a team, the Sabres will have to pay pretty close to what they are paying RK, which I think is in the top 30% or so of what NHL coaches are getting. 

As I mentioned in a different thread, I think if they hire an NCAA coach, it's largely due to wariness about hiring from the old-boy NHL network.  I think TP feels like he tried that with TM, DDB and JB, and it failed each time.

And only DDB actually had experience in the role. And he was the best coach we've had since Lindy. 

But Terry is an idiot

6 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

yes please...and maybe Rutherford as Pres? Need someone running this sinking ship

And what do you say to those who keep pointing out that Rutherford recommended Krueger to the Pegulas?

• Like (+1) 1

He doesn't like the "old boys" because they are less likely to bend to his will, being experienced in their positions. He runs the show

Everyone he hires is basically a first timer in that position. Krueger included, cup of coffee notwithstanding - zero completed NHL seasons as a coach to his name when hired. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

I thought Rutherford recomended JBotto? Is that true that he sold Terry on Ralphie? That is scary!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carolschram/2019/05/16/ralph-krueger-returns-to-the-nhl-as-coach-of-the-buffalo-sabres/?sh=4aef1ca370ce

Jason Botterill also has a family connection to Krueger. Botterill’s father Cal, now a well-regarded sports psychologist, was Krueger’s fifth-grade teacher in Winnipeg more than 40 years ago, before Jason was born. Krueger also received a hearty recommendation from Jason’s old boss in Pittsburgh, Jim Rutherford, who had employed Krueger as a consultant for five seasons when he’d been running the Carolina Hurricanes.

2 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

That's fair. Which of those guys that exist and are available do you think will take this job?

There is nobody out there who really blows my doors off in terms of I need to have this guy right now. Gallant is on strike 2, Boudreau is a well known players coach and I don't know if that's the way to go and he also seems to get fired an awful lot and then replaced by coaches who do better with what he had. Babcock is probably radioactive and I don't think the Pegulas would hire him after the way the last set of interviews with him went down.

What I'm saying is there isn't an "experienced" guy out there that excites me. 

I think any of them would take this job.

It's an NHL head coaching gig, and our money is just as good as anyone else's.

A guy like Boudreau could refuse and hope he gets another phone call from someone else, but that call may never come, and he knows it.

He's 66 years old to boot.

Don't think he can afford to refuse the Sabres.

A gig here throws a nice little pad onto his retirement nest egg, and lets him do what he loves for another couple years.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

I've heard this wariness of the old boy network thing but I have to wonder where it comes from cause they haven't hired people from it. 

All our GMs were inexperienced guys. Very inexperienced. Coaches have not been the old guys available either. Quenneville was out there. Sutter. Others. We passed on them all. Murray did try to hire Babcock but we know how that went. If this team had actually looked at old-boys they would have snapped up Lamorello the minute he fell out of favour in Toronto. 

I think this thing is Pegula BS. What they really want, what they've always wanted, is people they can control and have influence over. And that's why we are where we are. 

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I've heard this wariness of the old boy network thing but I have to wonder where it comes from cause they haven't hired people from it. 

All our GMs were inexperienced guys. Very inexperienced. Coaches have not been the old guys available either. Quenneville was out there. Sutter. Others. We passed on them all. Murray did try to hire Babcock but we know how that went. If this team had actually looked at old-boys they would have snapped up Lamorello the minute he fell out of favour in Toronto. 

I think this thing is Pegula BS. What they really want, what they've always wanted, is people they can control and have influence over. And that's why we are where we are. 

Take a look at the Florida roster sometime and compare it to the Sabres and ask yourself if the difference in the standings should be what it is?

Hint: It ain't

3 minutes ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

Take a look at the Florida roster sometime and compare it to the Sabres and ask yourself if the difference in the standings should be what it is?

Hint: It ain't

Maybe. Quenneville certainly gets some of that credit, but Florida also moved a lot of bodies out. Players I think Quenneville decided didn't fit the mold he wanted. That team is now built on more character first and skill second. It's a very different approach to us but you can see how they went from a team that lost but was hard to play against to a team that now wins. Ottawa will be the same. 

We need to do that too if we want to build long term success. Coach and GM have to be on the exact same page. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Yeah, that old boys claim doesn't make a lot of sense. Even Bylsma doesn't really qualify to me. He had one job, then was out of hockey a bit before he took ours. I've never seen a member of what I would consider to be the NHL's old boy's network get hired by Pegula's Sabres.

An unproven commodity 'recommended' by people that can be considered a part of the network is not the same thing as hiring from within that network 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LTS said:

And what do you say to those who keep pointing out that Rutherford recommended Krueger to the Pegulas?

Maybe he didn't think anyone would be fool enough to bring Krueger in without some tactical whiz(s) on the coaching staff?

I think we need to look at Pegula's business results.  He has always -- and I mean always -- targetted young up-and-comers whom he can grow with.  GMTM, GMJB, GMKA, Housley, RK, and a guy from college are all consistent with his temperament.  Take a look at some of his other side-businesses listed on his Wikipedia page.  They have monstrous turnover early on and several failures.

Aside on Pegula's finances: Pegula is allegedly worth more now than he was when he purchased the Sabres, but he is far less liquid after buying the Bills.  Apparently, the rumoured yacht is for real and where a lot of his current liquidity went.  Once this season is over and the league is functioning normally, I expect the Sabres to acting a bit more sensibly on some fronts.

karl taylor

Under Taylor’s guidance, the Admirals finished with the best record in their 19 seasons of play in the American Hockey League in 2019-20, going 41-14-5-3 (90 points, .714) and capturing the Macgregor Kilpatrick Trophy as regular-season champions. Milwaukee allowed a league-low 2.24 goals per game and ranked seventh in scoring (3.35) – the third-highest goals-per-game differential (+1.11) in the AHL in the last decade – and established a team record with a 13-game winning streak from Nov. 2 to Dec. 1. Milwaukee’s special teams were outstanding in 2019-20 as well, ranking second in the league on the power play (25.2 percent) and sixth in penalty killing (85.5 percent).

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

That's fair. Which of those guys that exist and are available do you think will take this job?

There is nobody out there who really blows my doors off in terms of I need to have this guy right now. Gallant is on strike 2, Boudreau is a well known players coach and I don't know if that's the way to go and he also seems to get fired an awful lot and then replaced by coaches who do better with what he had. Babcock is probably radioactive and I don't think the Pegulas would hire him after the way the last set of interviews with him went down.

What I'm saying is there isn't an "experienced" guy out there that excites me. 

I think people would take the job.  For Boudreau in particular, it’s close to home.

Every coach gets fired, all of them.  They have a shelf life.

Boudreau has had success with different types of teams.  He brought along a young Capitals team that had never won and helped them become a perennial playoff team.  Tell me, what team Boudreau has been fired from that went on to greater success?  He gets his team to the playoffs every year.  Let’s try that a couple times before we worry about whether someone else could do even more.

I’m not looking for a guy that’s “exciting”.  I’m looking for someone who’s past accomplishments and experiences will garner respect from the team, and who I know is competent.

5 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Well if you could pick between Boucher / Gallant / Boudreau / Yeo / leaman.  

It for me would be 

1. Gallant   

2. Leaman  

Not that I know much about this NCAA coach, but I 'd rather take a shot on him than on those other options.

4 hours ago, Curt said:

1) Boudreau

2) Gallant

That’s it for me.

Isn't Claude Julien now available too?  

A psychology grad student could make a helluva thesis out of this forum.  Anyone that wanted an experienced coach for this team over most of the past 7 years was shouted down by those yelling "dinosaur!" "analytics!" "progressive!".  And now after the last 3 coaches everyone wants what was derided just a couple of seasons ago as a retread.

You guys so entertain me.  You be you, man.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Isn't Claude Julien now available too?  

Yes.  I know some people don't like him because he is defencively-oriented.

45 minutes ago, Weave said:

A psychology grad student could make a helluva thesis out of this forum.  Anyone that wanted an experienced coach for this team over most of the past 7 years was shouted down by those yelling "dinosaur!" "analytics!" "progressive!".  And now after the last 3 coaches everyone wants what was derided just a couple of seasons ago as a retread.

Hey, we all fight the good fight regardless of what side we are today.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Weave said:

Boudreau is a progressive dinosaur who believes in analytics.

That’s a win for everyone 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.