Adams wants to hire college coach???

freester

1 hour ago, Weave said:

A psychology grad student could make a helluva thesis out of this forum.  Anyone that wanted an experienced coach for this team over most of the past 7 years was shouted down by those yelling "dinosaur!" "analytics!" "progressive!".  And now after the last 3 coaches everyone wants what was derided just a couple of seasons ago as a retread.

You guys so entertain me.  You be you, man.

Hey man, we are only human.

Getting the hot young thing is fun, until you actually have to live with him!

Where’s that nice, dependable, but kind of boring guy when you really need him???

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Leeman had years and years of success and a track record. How can anyone think it’s a bad choice?

Not a bad choice, as in he is a bad coach, but a risky choice because he has never coached adults or in a pro league.  Not ANY Pro league, ever.

At a time when the Sabres desperately need people who have experience and know what they are doing, give me the guy who has already shown to be a good NHL coach.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I've heard this wariness of the old boy network thing but I have to wonder where it comes from cause they haven't hired people from it. 

All our GMs were inexperienced guys. Very inexperienced. Coaches have not been the old guys available either. Quenneville was out there. Sutter. Others. We passed on them all. Murray did try to hire Babcock but we know how that went. If this team had actually looked at old-boys they would have snapped up Lamorello the minute he fell out of favour in Toronto. 

I think this thing is Pegula BS. What they really want, what they've always wanted, is people they can control and have influence over. And that's why we are where we are. 

6 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Yeah, that old boys claim doesn't make a lot of sense. Even Bylsma doesn't really qualify to me. He had one job, then was out of hockey a bit before he took ours. I've never seen a member of what I would consider to be the NHL's old boy's network get hired by Pegula's Sabres.

An unproven commodity 'recommended' by people that can be considered a part of the network is not the same thing as hiring from within that network 

Well, you guys are right although I think we’re splitting hairs a bit here.  Flagg is more accurate in the bolder than I was.  But wariness in accepting the recommendations of the network is wariness of the network itself and is, I’m guessing, the reason TP would go for a college coach over a guy like Boudreau.  

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

karl taylor

Under Taylor’s guidance, the Admirals finished with the best record in their 19 seasons of play in the American Hockey League in 2019-20, going 41-14-5-3 (90 points, .714) and capturing the Macgregor Kilpatrick Trophy as regular-season champions. Milwaukee allowed a league-low 2.24 goals per game and ranked seventh in scoring (3.35) – the third-highest goals-per-game differential (+1.11) in the AHL in the last decade – and established a team record with a 13-game winning streak from Nov. 2 to Dec. 1. Milwaukee’s special teams were outstanding in 2019-20 as well, ranking second in the league on the power play (25.2 percent) and sixth in penalty killing (85.5 percent).

That is an idea.  I’d rather this guy than a college coach, but I’d prefer Boudreau either way.  

29 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, you guys are right although I think we’re splitting hairs a bit here.  Flagg is more accurate in the bolder than I was.  But wariness in accepting the recommendations of the network is wariness of the network itself and is, I’m guessing, the reason TP would go for a college coach over a guy like Boudreau.  

That is an idea.  I’d rather this guy than a college coach, but I’d prefer Boudreau either way.  

Gambling on an unproven commodity yet again would seem foolish to me but they probably will. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Hiring a HC without a second of coaching experience at the pro level would be an absolute train wreck of a decision.

How would they even try to justify such stupidity?

Hiring Adams as GM is proving to be a train wreck of a decision. 

7 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Hiring a HC without a second of coaching experience at the pro level would be an absolute train wreck of a decision.

How would they even try to justify such stupidity?

...even if they are just thinking about it, do they just enter the conversation without even considering the last decade?  Holy cow, how deep of a hole can they dig?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.