Adams wants to hire college coach???

freester

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

Is this Hamilton speculating, or are there legs to this?

I hope there are no arms, legs hands or any other body part associated with this idiotic idea.  I assume Hamilton heard it somewhere and it wouldn't surprise me.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, freester said:

Paul Hamilton speculates that Adams wants to hire Nate Leaman from Providence.  He will be cheap of course.  This will be another disaster hiring an inexperienced coach to go with an inexperienced GM.

Clearly the Sabres are trying to cover the college coach of our best player to satisfy him.  I see you Kevyn.  Good job.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

C’mon...if Terry is going to hire a college coach he would have to be hired away from the mighty Penn State.  Connect the dots.

😂

On a more serious note, if this happened, it might be the straw that broke the camels back for the fans who remain loyal($$$) to this team. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

As temporary EbriateDirectorOfFanDevelopment, I am happy to announce the construction of Sabres University. Nope, fired RR.

Sabres Grad School. Nope, that'd require a postseason.

Sabres Community College?

If this rumor is true, more like Kim 'n' Kelly's Pre-K. All the Ks would be HUGE.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Curt said:

I have nothing against Nate Leaman, and he could turn out to be a great hire and a great NHL coach, but I think it would be a much wiser choice to hire an experienced, proven NHL head coach.

No question here.  We have an organization that has fallen on its face.  They absolutely need an experienced hand that knows how to coach in the NHL to help right the ship.

A college coach, or any other coach not intimately familiar with the NHL is inherently high risk.  Thats the last thing we need.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Curt said:

I have nothing against Nate Leaman, and he could turn out to be a great hire and a great NHL coach, but I think it would be a much wiser choice to hire an experienced, proven NHL head coach.

Its the circle of life though.  We needed experience, hired bylsma - he failed.  Then they went with a coveted assistant, hired Housley - he failed.  Then they went with outside the NHL circle guy - he failed.  I'm anyone but Krueger at this point.  Feel free to go out of the box with college or european coaches, but can we at least get a coach?  Not a soccer GM? An actual freaking x's and o's guy.  

Roster turnover is somewhat limited in the NHL, but Buffalo has quite a few contracts coming off the books next season.  Since the cap is static as well, there will be fewer teams offering term on free agent contracts - and there's an expansion team.  There has to be a thought process into how to get into contention for next season.  The coach is a big piece of that.  What they get from deadline dumps doesn't get them anywhere closer as it'll all be picks/prospects most likely. 

1 - Goalie.  Probably 2 unless they plan to split someone with UPL - and even then I'd still like to see 2.

2 - Defense.  Risto-mccabe was looking good til the injury, he probably loses money on his FA deal because of that so I'd consider bringing him back.  If Borgen and Bryson look to be on the team full time, figure out what that means for Jokiharju and Miller.  Miller/Risto are UFAs after the season, and you have johnson/samuelsson in the pipeline.  Theoretically this position should be OK, but i'd be ok bringing a vet in, or make a trade to mix things up.  

3 - Forwards.  Figure out your reinhart plan.  I'd consider bringing back Hall at a lesser charge.  Dump Eakin and Okposo - lazar centering girgs and maybe rieder woudl be a not terrible 4th line.  Add some veterans to this team who have the ability to score.  I wouldnt lock up a 30 something year old gionta again long term, or bring on a bad contract with term.  But the Kreijci's, folignos, and bobby ryans still score at a decent clip and can play up a lineup in a pinch.  

Just now, Weave said:

No question here.  We have an organization that has fallen on its face.  They absolutely need an experienced hand that knows how to coach in the NHL to help right the ship.

A college coach, or any other coach not intimately familiar with the NHL is inherently high risk.  Thats the last thing we need.

I tend to agree - but it has to be the right hand.  I don't hire anyone mid-season.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

If this really happens, then this indicates to me that the Pegulas financial situation is more precarious than previously realized.  I suspect they have sustained huge losses in most of their hockey and non hockey related businesses to the extent that their net worth has fallen precipitously.  Hiring an unproven college coach is a penny pinching move to go along with a penny pinching move to hire Kevyn Adams.

as is speculated...college coach will come cheap compared to experienced NHL coaches. Fact is they really need to go the other way for once spend wisely and get both a President/Director of hockey operations and a experienced coach from the list of available experienced coaches out there (and we all know there are some very good  coaches available right now). Please not another inexperienced coach...might as well keep Ralphie if that is the case

Edited by Sabre fan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Yup, it would be a huge mistake. Maybe they'd get lucky but I'd be more flabbergasted and angry with this franchise then at any other point than I've ever been, if they actually, truly have the gall to hire another person with no NHL experience. Especially where the motivation is clearly cash. 

I promise I won't even speculate in the coaching thread of his hire, should it happen. (As it invariably, understandably turns to optimism, anyways)

Edited by Thorny

49 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

These clowns are going to do this, their social media intern will enter their office crying, and they'll be completely baffled as to why 

Unbelievable 

Every second tweet on that account is an apology to whoever is running it at this point, I'm sure they are good now haha

2 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

If these idiots go and hire anyone without experience or a successful track record in the NHL, and it fails miserably, I am so done with this team. My only hope after that would be for the Pegulas to sell the team to a competent owner. I'm so ***** frustrated!!! 

I'm ahead of you in terms of hoping for the sale of the team. 

BTW: I don't give any weight to the idea that the Sabres are hiring Nate Leaman.

Paul Hamilton has thrown a few things out there at times but he is as clueless as most, and way more clueless than many.

A few days ago when he heard the coach was not fired, his immediate reaction was "Well then he's here for the rest of the season and if that's true, he's probably here next season as well."

Paul doesn't know what the hell is going on anymore than anyone else.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I'm just going to point out that RK had NHL experience when Buffalo hired him. 

If you hire an NCAA coach that's fine, he needs to have at least one grizzled veteran assistant (who doesn't have eyes on his job) with him on the bench.

You could do worse than Leaman and he did a very nice job at the U20s this year with limited practice time and a team that was clearly rusty and not cohesive at the start of the tournament.

Krueger had a half season of sub par results.  Then he was out of coaching for several years.  He was a big unknown.

People are asking for a coach with a history of good results at the NHL level.  Not just any guy who has coached an NHL game before.

Big difference.

19 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Well if you could pick between Boucher / Gallant / Boudreau / Yeo / leaman.  

It for me would be 

1. Gallant   

2. Leaman  

Not that I know much about this NCAA coach, but I 'd rather take a shot on him than on those other options.

1) Boudreau

2) Gallant

That’s it for me.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.