TNT joining ESPN as the Other NHL US Broadcast Partner

Brawndo

20 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I just don't like the thought of the NHL playing 2nd fiddle to the NBA on both ESPN and TNT. I cannot stand what the NBA is and represents and would worry they would try and push the player-first, super team, offense only, and overarching political narratives onto the NHL. 

“I cannot stand what the NBA what the NBA is and represents” 😂 my goodness what a lame statement.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

That’s 625 million per year for the next seven years. That should help the salary cap going forward 

So, about $20MM per team per year.

Does anyone know how much each team gets under the existing US national TV deal?

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

Well I sort of explained what I meant immediately afterward....

I think the NHL could learn a lot from the NBA, especially how important the "offense first" approach to the game is, and how much the fans enjoy the hot stove player movement (e.g. RFAs).

Ken Dryden's article a few weeks ago about how the enlarged goaltending equipment has turned once-beautiful NHL offense into a series of scrums around the net was absolutely spot on IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think the NHL could learn a lot from the NBA, especially how important the "offense first" approach to the game is, and how much the fans enjoy the hot stove player movement (e.g. RFAs).

Ken Dryden's article a few weeks ago about how the enlarged goaltending equipment has turned once-beautiful NHL offense into a series of scrums around the net was absolutely spot on IMHO.

I can understand the latter point, they should adjust the pad size but I'm more referring to the tactical approach to basketball which the NBA has turned into only offense with few to no teams actually playing any real systems or strategic defensive play. I enjoy college basketball far more for that very reason.

As for the bolded part, fans are fickle idiots (we all fall into this to be honest 🙂 ) but I absolutely despise fluid player movement. I like loyalty, I like a player sticking with the team who drafted him for 19 years through all the ups and downs. I enjoy the camaraderie that can form on a team where the players are all playing for each other and to win it all. Like the commercial, "we" versus "I"

I hate the NBA's super teams and the mercenary approach the NBA has. If I had it my way, RFAs would have to wait until they were 30 to test the UFA market. Pay your dues to the team whom drafts you and the fans that support you and if you still haven't had success then you are free to Cup Chase. Most hockey fans are team-centric not player-centric and the league needs to understand that the NBA's fluid style won't translate well in the NHL. I honestly have hated the whole "basketball friends" group sign thing that has gone on for the last decade plus. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

And the NHL doesn’t even have to do anything artificial to push the offense-first mentality. Just enforce your rules. That’s what the NBA started doing is calling the fouls that are there (except for LeBron, that guy gets fouled every time he drives to the basket because there’s really no other way to stop him). Some players take advantage of it and you’ve got to find ways to penalize that kind of leaning into the rules instead of playing the game but the leagues are better when you let offensive players in these highly-skilled times take off.

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I can understand the latter point, they should adjust the pad size but I'm more referring to the tactical approach to basketball which the NBA has turned into only offense with few to no teams actually playing any real systems or strategic defensive play. I enjoy college basketball far more for that very reason.

As for the bolded part, fans are fickle idiots (we all fall into this to be honest 🙂 ) but I absolutely despise fluid player movement. I like loyalty, I like a player sticking with the team who drafted him for 19 years through all the ups and downs. I enjoy the camaraderie that can form on a team where the players are all playing for each other and to win it all. Like the commercial, "we" versus "I"

I hate the NBA's super teams and the mercenary approach the NBA has. If I had it my way, RFAs would have to wait until they were 30 to test the UFA market. Pay your dues to the team whom drafts you and the fans that support you and if you still haven't had success then you are free to Cup Chase. Most hockey fans are team-centric not player-centric and the league needs to understand that the NBA's fluid style won't translate well in the NHL. I honestly have hated the whole "basketball friends" group sign thing that has gone on for the last decade plus. 

Defense is as good as it has ever been in the NBA but the rule enforcement just makes playing defense that much harder. You have your occasional clip of a guy straight up not caring on defense but you’d find plenty of that in any era if you had social media. There were guys back in the day in the NBA that had very little worthwhile skill and were there purely because they were hard to move or get around. That doesn’t make the game better.

I think the fluid player movement makes “loyalty” that much sweeter but I also think “loyalty” is a farce team owners have pushed on us for decades as a means of controlling the cost of players and keeping salaries lower. Owners very rarely show loyalty but we always expect players to.

It’s hard to compare other leagues in the “super team” sense because there is no major sport where one or two players makes that big of a difference. Not even close to the way it does in the NBA.

Also, locking a 19 year old (as most NBA rookies are) into an 11-year employment contract at a location they don’t personally get to choose is absolute insanity. The concept of “paying your dues” after dedicating your life growing up to the craft gives off some very bad vibes.

• Like (+1) 1

Add the helmet ads

29 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

So, about $20MM per team per year.

Does anyone know how much each team gets under the existing US national TV deal?

Add the Canadian Deal which Is 300 Million per year so that’s almost a billion dollars per year.

Existing Deal was 200 Million per year.

7 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Well, I can see the appeal in your point on player movement, and I think the NBA has gone too far in that direction, but still:  IMHO there should be more RFA movement in the NHL, and I think 30 is too old for first-time UFA status in a league where the best players start at 18 or 19.

As for tactics and offense/defense:  the good NBA teams are good defensive teams too.  It's just that the NBA has made the overall strategic decision that good offense should beat good defense.  The NHL has not made that decision, or really, IMHO, any decision on the matter -- they've just allowed goalies and defense to change the game gradually for the worse.

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

And the NHL doesn’t even have to do anything artificial to push the offense-first mentality. Just enforce your rules. That’s what the NBA started doing is calling the fouls that are there (except for LeBron, that guy gets fouled every time he drives to the basket because there’s really no other way to stop him). Some players take advantage of it and you’ve got to find ways to penalize that kind of leaning into the rules instead of playing the game but the leagues are better when you let offensive players in these highly-skilled times take off.

I generally agree, although I think it's a bit more nuanced -- i.e. the NBA hasn't decided to enforce every rule, but from time to time they decide to emphasize enforcement of something (e.g. hand-checking by perimeter defenders) in order to facilitate offense.

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Add the helmet ads

Add the Canadian Deal which Is 300 Million per year so that’s almost a billion dollars per year.

Existing Deal was 200 Million per year.

Thanks.  I was more curious about what the increase in the US national rights was going to do to the cap -- it looks like the increase is about $425MM per year, which is about a $13.3MM increase per team per year. 

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

Defense is as good as it has ever been in the NBA but the rule enforcement just makes playing defense that much harder. You have your occasional clip of a guy straight up not caring on defense but you’d find plenty of that in any era if you had social media. There were guys back in the day in the NBA that had very little worthwhile skill and were there purely because they were hard to move or get around. That doesn’t make the game better.

I think the fluid player movement makes “loyalty” that much sweeter but I also think “loyalty” is a farce team owners have pushed on us for decades as a means of controlling the cost of players and keeping salaries lower. Owners very rarely show loyalty but we always expect players to.

It’s hard to compare other leagues in the “super team” sense because there is no major sport where one or two players makes that big of a difference. Not even close to the way it does in the NBA.

Also, locking a 19 year old (as most NBA rookies are) into an 11-year employment contract at a location they don’t personally get to choose is absolute insanity. The concept of “paying your dues” after dedicating your life growing up to the craft gives off some very bad vibes.

I don't see any problem with it, they are getting paid oodles of money to play a sport and entertain us. I think they should be able to deal with some amount restriction to where they go.

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

We don't need NBA-style super teams.  Even the NBA doesn't need it.  Basketball is boring enough; the NBA has sucked all life out of it.

Again, there is no such thing as a super team outside of the NBA. Other leagues don’t compare because no single player has the same impact in other leagues.

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

I may have never agreed with anything you've posted in the past, but THIS in an excellent post. I tried to like it twice. Spot on. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.