TNT joining ESPN as the Other NHL US Broadcast Partner

Brawndo

Soooo....Hockey will now be news again at ESPN?  ESPN has treated the NHL like a cockroach at cocktail party for years. I don't like NBC's coverage but I'm skeptical.

I remember the day when ESPN did an admirable job with the NHL. Tom Mees was great. Thought Barry Melrose was at least entertaining. I'll be curious to see what we get. 

Edited by KC Scouts
  • Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Oh great, the politics sports channel is now encroaching on one of the few bastions of escapes left. Wpnderful, I fully expect to hear 24/7 on game telecasts that I'm racist just for being born, call me excited 😞

NBC wasn't exactly non-woke. But Disney owns ESPN, and Disney destroyed the Star Wars movie franchise with their agendas.

And now ESPN means not one single free Sabres game on TV anymore.  Actually, it means NO free hockey games on TV anymore.  I miss being able to watch CHML and CTV and Radio-Canada for Hockey Night in Canada.  No more Leafs-Habs, no more Sabres Habs, no more Sabres Nordiques, no more Habs-Nordiques....No more fun 3.8 goals per game with bench clearing brawls. Don Cherry. Wowie Housley...but I digress.

• Like (+1) 5

23 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

If they can convince Gary Thorne to give up Orioles baseball and come back to hockey I'd be overjoyed.

Thorney was let go by MASN a few weeks ago. Someone did an interview with him recently and he was interested in getting back into hockey.

56 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

If they can convince Gary Thorne to give up Orioles baseball and come back to hockey I'd be overjoyed.

Gary Thorne is the best broadcaster in all of sports and should be calling every game for every sport. Clone him if need be. He is a treasure. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Oh great, the politics sports channel is now encroaching on one of the few bastions of escapes left. Wpnderful, I fully expect to hear 24/7 on game telecasts that I'm racist just for being born, call me excited 😞

I would love to say you will be wrong but so much has changed at ESPN since they last aired the NHL. Let's see how this is handled and will not comment on that until we see what they do.

6 hours ago, etiennep99 said:

And now ESPN means not one single free Sabres game on TV anymore.  Actually, it means NO free hockey games on TV anymore.

Incorrect.  First, ABC is the national broadcast partner for ESPN (as they're also owned by the mouse).  Second, the speculation in the article says that the deal with ESPN is not an exclusive deal and that at least some broadcast rights are expected to be sold to a different carrier.

The NHL knows that viewers = growth = sponsors = money.  They're going to have nationally broadcast games.  They're going to have games on cable providers.  They're going to have games on regional sports networks.  They're going to have games on streaming services.

6 hours ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

I would love to say you will be wrong but so much has changed at ESPN since they last aired the NHL. Let's see how this is handled and will not comment on that until we see what they do.

Nope. I've seen and heard enough from that network of stations. I won't subject the grandkids to it, whom I watch hockey with.

7 minutes ago, SDS said:

I assume for Canadians they may still have NHL Live (formerly Rogers NHL live, formerly nhl.tv, formerly Gamcentre) as in canada it's through Rogers exclusively 

5 minutes ago, skaught said:

Interesting, this might work out better for me, since I got rid of my cable and can't watch games on NBCSN anyway.

The NHL.tv being referred to in the tweet is the online service though

Edited by Thorny

4 minutes ago, skaught said:

Interesting, this might work out better for me, since I got rid of my cable and can't watch games on NBCSN anyway.

That station is going away anyway. That decision is probably coupled with the loss of the NHL rights. 

Just now, skaught said:

Yeah, I heard that NBCSN is going away. I assume ESPN / ESPN+ will be picking up nationally broadcast games, so I won't need cable to watch them? I already pay for NHL.tv since I'm out of market.

The point is that streaming NHL the TV is going away too. You’re gonna have to subscribe to ESPN+ or some sort of ABC/Disney/ESPN package.

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I assume for Canadians they may still have NHL Live (formerly Rogers NHL live, formerly nhl.tv, formerly Gamcentre) as in canada it's through Rogers exclusively 

The NHL.tv being referred to in the tweet is the online service though

Theses current TV negotiations are for US markets/providers only, I believe.  Canada still has their remaining exclusivity deals.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.