What impact do you think replacing Krueger would have on this team in the short/medium term?

Randall Flagg

Coaching Impacts  

44 members have voted

1. 1. If the Sabres fire another coach, what are your thoughts?

• This is all we needed. This team is probably too far gone to make the playoffs THIS year, but after an adjustment period with a decent coach they'd be playing like a home-ice contender, 100+ point pace.
    • There are still a few obvious holes that need to be addressed, but Ralph has taken a Wild Card level team to last place, and after an adjustment period you'd see a team playing mid-90 points hockey.
    • Coaching doesn't have that much of an impact, but Ralph is bad enough that we could at least be a mid-80s team with reasonable coaching, and that's how we'd play out the season if he was kicked to the curb.
    • We probably need to fire Ralph at this point, but I would only expect negligible improvement, we are too bad/too far gone. No more long losing streaks, but a typical 2015-2020 Sabres record the rest of the way.
    • It literally wouldn't matter one way or another if Ralph got fired, our problems have nothing to do with "systems" and line combos. Our players are both bad and without confidence. The best coach in league history wouldn't help until we fixed our roster.

I really believe a seasoned veteran coach could make a significant difference.    The last veteran guy they had behind the bench was Bylsma, and he squeezed 81 points out of what was largely a tank team with a rookie Jack Eichel.      With a similar coach and the current amount of talent (+ goalie upgrade), the expectation should be playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think starting from a seasons beginning with a good coach, this is a 85+ point team with a legitimate shot at making the playoffs.  But right now, I think even putting a good coach in place, they will struggle for a while until things get turned around.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I really believe a seasoned veteran coach could make a significant difference.    The last veteran guy they had behind the bench was Bylsma, and he squeezed 81 points out of what was largely a tank team with a rookie Jack Eichel.      With a similar coach and the current amount of talent (+ goalie upgrade), the expectation should be playoffs.

It's really this simple. There are coaches sitting on the market right now who are better than Bylsma and the Sabres would be stupid not to swap Krueger for one. Just do it.

• Like (+1) 2

I think there would be an initial bump in the quality of their play, but after a couple weeks they would start to play with the bad habits and bad effort that this team (and this core) has shown through the last few years and 3 coaches.

It strongly appears that this coach and this team aren't meshing and RK is not a good coach for this lineup/roster, but I just think this Roster isn't that good. Whether it be a lack of effort, or overrated talent, with the best coach in the world they would at most be a middling team.

• Like (+1) 1

If history is a guide, KA will sit on his hands and let RK finish the season.  Meanwhile, FA coaches like Julien and Gallant will get scooped up and lead their teams to strong finishes and successful 2021-22 campaigns.

frustrated fuck my life GIF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

If history is a guide, KA will sit on his hands and let RK finish the season.  Meanwhile, FA coaches like Julien and Gallant will get scooped up and lead their teams to strong finishes and successful 2021-22 campaigns.

frustrated fuck my life GIF

Noticing that the Anaheim Ducks guy conspicuously left out Boudreau, the only one of the three that coached the Ducks. 

Did you hear things through the grapevine that turned you off of him?

18 hours ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

I feel like we should have kept Disco Dan. I mean in hindsight. At the time I hated his whole family. But if he were the coach right now with this roster we’d be more than contending. I said what I said 

He was the best of the very sorry lot that Pegula has hired since he created Hockey Hell out of the beloved team I grew up with and came of age watching.  Very sorry lot indeed. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Noticing that the Anaheim Ducks guy conspicuously left out Boudreau, the only one of the three that coached the Ducks. 

Did you hear things through the grapevine that turned you off of him?

I like Boudreau, but he's 66, I hear he's not interested in coming back to coach.

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I like Boudreau, but he's 66, I hear he's not interested in coming back to coach.

Are you sure about that?

”Longtime NHL bench boss Bruce Boudreau is interested in being considered for the vacant Seattle Kraken head coaching position and the one-time Jack Adams Award winner isn’t being secretive about it.

“The thing about that job is it would be great to start with a team that is starting fresh and to be the builder of something,” Boudreau told Ryan S. Clark of The Athletic (Editor’s note: a subscription is required to read this story). “I think that is a real exciting thing.”

Well first, I think it's the players more than the coach so a change won't lead us to the promised land BUT as of now I'd fire Ralph and hire Gallant all the same.

There could be an advantage to an interim however. Tortorella MIGHT be available at the end of the season if Columbus continues to falter. 

Whatever the case, I simply want a coach who will demand a work ethic, and then they can ship out anybody who doesn't buy in. This next coach has to be the last coach for a while. 

13 hours ago, Curt said:

I think starting from a seasons beginning with a good coach, this is a 85+ point team with a legitimate shot at making the playoffs.  But right now, I think even putting a good coach in place, they will struggle for a while until things get turned around.  

With ullmark out it's hard to see them beating anyone but the rangers and devils.  They can't score and are good to give up like 3+ every game.

With Krueger gone, I would never have to worry about seeing Tage Thompson trying to skate with Jack Eichel on the 1st line.  Watching his inability to skate with and think with Hall and Eichel in the first game had me wonder what possessed anyone to think that was a good idea.  The real crime was that he was put there again in a following game!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.