NHL Draft Lottery Rules Possibly Changing

Brawndo

These rule changes would not have affected Buffalo’s drafts.  In the past 7 years, they have moved up in the draft order zero times and won the lottery once.

These draft lottery changes seem like they add quite a bit of complexity for a pretty minor alteration.  Has any team ever even moved up in the lottery 3 times in 5 years?  How many times has a team moved up more than 10 spots?  All I can think of is philly doing it in 2017.  Seems like the main change is that the worst team can only fall to #3.

Edited by Curt
  • Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Curt said:

These rule changes would not have affected Buffalo’s drafts.  In the past 7 years, they have moved up in the draft order zero times and won the lottery once.

These draft lottery changes seem like they add quite a bit of complexity for a pretty minor alteration.  Has any team ever even moved up in the lottery 3 times in 5 years?  How many times has a team moved up more than 10 spots?  All I can think of is philly doing it in 2017.  Seems like the main change is that the worst team can only fall to #3.

The Sabres haven’t been leapfrogged by any team below 10? 

I’m pretty sure they have 

Edited by Thorny

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Any winner of 1, 2, or 3 that came from a spot below buffalo and below 10 would not have been able to do so 

Pretty sure just last year “team E” wouldn’t have qualified and we’d have picked 7th 

Well, the tweet says can’t jump more than 10 spots, not that a team below 10th can’t move up.

So a team at 11 could move up to 1-3, 12 could move up to 2-3, 13 could move up to 3.  I guess they are doing away with the lottery for 3rd though.

Oh yeah, totally forgot about the Rangers.  So Rangers and Philly have done it.

But when I said that their drafts wouldn’t have been affected, I really just meant that they wouldn’t have been prevented from drafting high at any point.  Just to illustrate that these changes aren’t “anti Sabres”.  Poor wording on my part though.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.