Per Friedman The Sabres are Open For Business

Brawndo

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

If we trade Eichel, our best hope for C is Cozens (if we move him there) who's yet to play an NHL game at C, with almost literally nothing after that without getting into the Staals, Eakins of the current roster. Who I'm pretty sure we don't want a part of going forward. Who's the future 2C? And imagine if Cozens stays at wing. 

If we trade Reinhart, our best hope for RW going forward is Cozens again, if he stays there. And if he moves to C, we have little at RW. KO? Quinn?

This just illustrates the fact that any trade of Eichel or Reinhart certainly has to have a large current roster component, we can't trade these guys for prospects and picks. 

It would be crazy to trade Eichel. We'll never get adequate return.  It will hold us back even longer.

• Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, klos1963 said:

It would be crazy to trade Eichel. We'll never get adequate return.  It will hold us back even longer.

I think it’s crazy to trade Eichel, or anyone not named Montour, without seeing what this roster does under an experienced proven coach first. But that has to happen immediately, not a week or month from now. 

I also think its premature to say the Sabres can’t get an adequate return. That all depends on their plan and vision. Do they want to trade everyone and start fresh, or do they just want to tinker? If they just want to tinker, yeah, they’re gonna lose in an Eichel trade. If they’re blowing up the roster, like you said, it’ll be 3-5 more years. If they get let’s say Turcotte, Byfield, and 2 1sts, we don’t know what those 4 players could become. Could be 2 Eichels in there, could be none. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I think it’s crazy to trade Eichel, or anyone not named Montour, without seeing what this roster does under an experienced proven coach first. But that has to happen immediately, not a week or month from now. 

I also think its premature to say the Sabres can’t get an adequate return. That all depends on their plan and vision. Do they want to trade everyone and start fresh, or do they just want to tinker? If they just want to tinker, yeah, they’re gonna lose in an Eichel trade. If they’re blowing up the roster, like you said, it’ll be 3-5 more years. If they get let’s say Turcotte, Byfield, and 2 1sts, we don’t know what those 4 players could become. Could be 2 Eichels in there, could be none. 

I think you have to get guys who could step in and help turn this thing around now. Futures are fine but we need players that are on a fast development track or established already. Or both.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I don't necessarily disagree but Boston has traded away Joe Thornton, Phil Kessel, Dougie Hamilton, and Tyler Seguin arguably lost all those trades and managed to win two cups anyway.

It's not just who goes out it's who comes in as well.

And what you do with what you have!  

In any event, I think we can all agree Krueger is not the answer!

And what are the odds Kevyn Adams is a brilliant young GM in the making?

He's likely to be overwhelmed by the tasks ahead of him, not to mention an expansion year with Seattle! 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I don't necessarily disagree but Boston has traded away Joe Thornton, Phil Kessel, Dougie Hamilton, and Tyler Seguin arguably lost all those trades and managed to win two cups anyway.

It's not just who goes out it's who comes in as well.

Did I miss something?

Bruins Cup win in 2011 was their first and only since 1972.

However, your point is well taken.  It has always amazed me how the Bruins have consistently traded away star players for lopsided returns against them, yet they make the playoffs almost every year.  On top of that, they plug and play bottom six forwards who ALL understand the system and immediately fit right in.

What's the constant for the Bruins?  Hockey-knowledgeable MANAGEMENT and hands-off OWNERSHIP!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ParkMeadow said:

Did I miss something?

Bruins Cup win in 2011 was their first and only since 1972.

However, your point is well taken.  It has always amazed me how the Bruins have consistently traded away star players for lopsided returns against them, yet they make the playoffs almost every year.  On top of that, they plug and play bottom six forwards who ALL understand the system and immediately fit right in.

What's the constant for the Bruins?  Hockey-knowledgeable MANAGEMENT and hands-off OWNERSHIP!

And that ownership is Buffalo’s own Jacobs. Boy how we wish things could have been different in the past and Jacobs was the one owning the Sabres instead of the Bruins. 

One suggestion on another board I like best is moving Eichel to the Hawks for Dach and Boqvist.  I don’t know if the money would work but if the Hawks still want to go for it with Kane and the core there.  Dach would be a big, top centre and Boqvist and Dahlin would be a great pairing.  Pipe dream but that would be the type of return I would want if Eichel is moved.

10 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

One suggestion on another board I like best is moving Eichel to the Hawks for Dach and Boqvist.  I don’t know if the money would work but if the Hawks still want to go for it with Kane and the core there.  Dach would be a big, top centre and Boqvist and Dahlin would be a great pairing.  Pipe dream but that would be the type of return I would want if Eichel is moved.

Dach has a wrist injury and is out until May

I'm not sure this is any different than we heard from KA in his presser besides some names.

Wide open for business doesn't mean a complete overhaul  of the roster. 

There is plenty of tradeable talent that should bring decent returns but its important that KA does his due diligence and doesn't just move players for the sake of moving them.

If playing gritty is important like he says then start there, identify and acquire those type of players.

First things first though, he should get a coach in here before the deadline and see if they can move the needle with these players. It's a short window but it could give KA a little more time to make some better trades. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Dach has a wrist injury and is out until May

Plus Chicago would have 30 million tied up in three forwards 

Some updates from Friedman on the 31 Thoughts Podcast today.

The Sabres are listening to offers for all their players including Dahlin and Eichel mostly to gauge what they are worth around the league. 

There is concern that the rest of the league smell blood in the water and will go after the rookie GM. 
There is concern He has not had a chance to develop relationships with the other GMs which can hinder Adams ability to make moves. 

Marek asked about someone above Adams and Friedman mentioned money could be an issue, Friedman did wonder about a consultant to Adams to assist him, such as Rutherford.  A title of Senior Advisor to the GM could be given. 
Where have I seen that before? 

214785F5-9D65-482E-86FA-012F436921BA.jpeg

Edited by Brawndo

15 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Well, all right then.  Let's see if Adams can prove his mettle and get more than a MoJo-worth player for him.

MoJo has only played 11 games this season and has 3 points (injury). But that trade was for two vets with one year remaining on their deal.

Rental of soon-to-retire Staal for the playoffs? 2nd round pick.

Maybe we could also get an O'Regan-type AHLer who might do something with a change of scenery.

From This Week’s 31 Thoughts 

What a cursed year for Jack Eichel and the Buffalo Sabres.

All we know for certain as I write this is the captain will not play Tuesday night against Philadelphia. Since Monday morning, there’ve been rumours he could be out awhile. It appears as if both he and the Sabres are going to take a few days to gather all information and consider all options. They’re on the road. It might be better to wait until the team gets back after this game.

It’s the right and responsible thing to do; I hope the rumours are wrong.

Eichel showed up to camp injured from something that occurred during off-season training. He hurt his leg on Feb. 23 when getting tangled with Nico Hischier. He was clearly in pain on Sunday after a crosscheck from Casey Cizikas during a loss to the Islanders.

It’s a microcosm for the team’s season — nothing can stay on track.

Head coach Ralph Krueger did what he does — put the most positive spin on things — saying he’s “looking forward to seeing guys step up to the plate for the minutes that Jack is going to be missing here.” Dylan Cozens, a true bright spot, gets promoted to first-line centre between Taylor Hall and Sam Reinhart.

This comes at a huge, huge time for the Sabres. GM Kevyn Adams did not mince words during his media availability last Friday, saying he was “angry.”

“I’ve been empowered by (ownership) to fix this, and that's what I'm going to do,” he added.

Other teams describe them as “wide open” for business, willing to listen on anything and everything. There’s a difference between “listening” and “doing,” of course — just because they’re asked about someone doesn’t mean that person needs to go to Amazon for luggage deals. Adams is working to determine the market value of his players, and from there will come the decisions.

It’s hard to say how the Eichel news effects all of this, but one theory about what Buffalo is considering long-term is one plan with the captain, and one without him. Either way, the decisions involved are critical. I don’t believe for a second Adams is incapable, but I don’t think it would be a bad idea for the Sabres to add an experienced voice or two to this mix.

Adams played in Carolina under Jim Rutherford. Could Rutherford be a hire here, even if the title was special assistant to the GM or consultant for the rest of 2020-21? The moves the Sabres are about to make will have long-term ramifications. Never hurts to have another opinion.

10. Looking at goaltending: Carolina, Colorado (but at more of a depth level — I think they were looking at Buffalo’s Jonas Johansson) and possibly Washington. Must have been great for the Capitals to see Ilya Samsonov with a 36-save win over Philadelphia on Sunday; he’s had a lengthy recovery from COVID and it created some uncertainty. Vitek Vanecek’s played well and really battled for them, earning respect from his teammates and the organization, but Samsonov’s performance will determine how the Capitals proceed at this position.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Id trade olofsson now while hes worth something

Your feelings on Olofsson's ES play are clear, but I am curious why you think his value is poised to drop.

I would think any team who needs help on the right side of their PP would pay up. Being among the best in the game at your specialty means something, especially when your specialty is rare.

Edited by dudacek

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Your feelings on Olofsson's ES play are clear, but I curious why you think his value is poised to drop.

At some point they will get a new coach and Olofsson's 5v5 play will actually be considered and probably reduced. He's pp dependent and right now the pp is good but pp numbers often fluctuate. Trade him b4 those things happen. 

Edited by LGR4GM
spelling

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

At some point they will get a new coach and Olofsson's 5v5 play will actually be considered and probably reduced. He's pp dependent and right now the pp is good but pp numbers often fluctuate. Trade him b4 those things happen. 

I actually see some logic in this.  It just is kind of crazy, because the Sabres are already staring down the barrel of trading away Staal, Hall, Montour, Reinhart, Risto, Eichel, maybe more.  Adding Olofsson to that is just a lot.  As I said, I certainly see the logic in it though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.