Per Friedman The Sabres are Open For Business

Brawndo

"... mentions Sam Reinhart's name."

Or, you know, the best performing forward on the team this year, which among the only few functioning player assets, would be ripe for the vultures' trade offers.

When a team loses as badly as this, other teams' GMs smell blood and go for the throat.

Sam's not untradeable, but he's also our best player right now.  Can you improve the team by trading your best player?  Strongly depends.

Takeaway: KA needs to exercise extreme caution if trading Eichel, Reinhart, Dahlin, and probably Risto.

• Like (+1) 7

5 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

"... mentions Sam Reinhart's name."

Or, you know, the best performing forward on the team this year, which among the only few functioning player assets, would be ripe for the vultures' trade offers.

When a team loses as badly as this, other teams' GMs smell blood and go for the throat.

Sam's not untradeable, but he's also our best player right now.  Can you improve the team by trading your best player?  Strongly depends.

Takeaway: KA needs to exercise extreme caution if trading Eichel, Reinhart, Dahlin, and probably Risto.

Reinhart.  Here's a guy who's been around a while now, puts up points, disappears for stretches.  The thing with him is that if he's not scoring, he's a liability (weak skater, loses battles, poor top end speed, poor edge work).   KA is trying to build a tough, gritty team... Sam just doesn't check those boxes.

That said, one could argue that hey, he puts up points and the team is struggling to score, so why trade him?  We'll, he has a very very tradeable contract, and his skillset could be very attractive to a contender, so the return should be significant. 

• Like (+1) 4

As if KA wasn't already facing a difficult challenge to fix this mess as a rookie GM, he also has the added complication of the expansion draft as well.  If he trades players for players, who knows what we might lose to Seattle.  If he trades for picks.....I'll check back in a few years.

17 minutes ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

Reinhart has value right now. Turns out my girlfriend may have been right all these years. Reinhart > Eichel 😕

If that's the type of judgment she has, I'd break with her immediately. 

• Haha (+1) 1

When everyone jumped on the Eichel Train, I bought a Reinhart jersey.  If they trade Samson I will be very disappointed.  He's not gritty in the sense of initiating contact, but he misses very, very few games and even when he gets pummeled he's effective.  Not the flashy gritty, but he is tenacious.

• Like (+1) 5

About dam time.

Now, will all join me around the pentagram and grab hands. Thorny, if you would light the candles please.

Let us began the ritual to cleanse this aberration of a roster.

Don't stop chanting until it's complete. PA, you can light some incense and do your "Pegula be gone from all hockey related decisions incantation", that should knock some of the stuffing off this team.

Edited by Scottysabres
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Does Staal still have his NMC?

IMHO, all of Hall, Staal, Montour, Irwin, Miller, Hutton, and the entire bottom 6 by talent can be moved for picks.  I need at least one current, quality asset (good prospect or gritty younger NHL-level player) for him.  I only trade Reinhart, Cozens, Eichel, and Dahlin for gross over-payments.

A new coach beforehand, interim or otherwise, who can lift the cloud over the team and at least make them all look like NHLers would help immensely.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

IMHO, all of Hall, Staal, Montour, Irwin, Miller, Hutton, and the entire bottom 6 by talent can be moved for picks.  I need at least one current, quality asset (good prospect or gritty younger NHL-level player) for him.  I only trade Reinhart, Cozens, Eichel, and Dahlin for gross over-payments.

A new coach beforehand, interim or otherwise, who can lift the cloud over the team and at least make them all look like NHLers would help immensely.

Just trade everyone who isn’t Dahlin or Cozens at this point. Start fresh. Clean slate. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Just trade everyone who isn’t Dahlin or Cozens at this point. Start fresh. Clean slate. 

I might be more open to trading Dahlin than you are, but perhaps a new coach can fix him.  I would like to see the organization retain some of the younger prospects we are getting a glimpse of (ex. Borgen, Bryson) in addition to Cozens of course.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Carmel Corn said:

I might be more open to trading Dahlin than you are, but perhaps a new coach can fix him.  I would like to see the organization retain some of the younger prospects we are getting a glimpse of (ex. Borgen, Bryson) in addition to Cozens of course.  

My comment meant keeping everyone young except Mitts and Tage. Keep Joki, Borgen, Asplund etc.  

I wouldn’t trade Dahlin. He was growing under the former coach who was letting him play his style of game. He’s been suppressed under the current coach. He’s young still. Remember Lindstrom didn’t win a Norris until he was 30 -12 years into the league. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

About dam time.

Now, will all join me around the pentagram and grab hands. Thorny, if you would light the candles please.

Let us began the ritual to cleanse this aberration of a roster.

Don't stop chanting until it's complete. PA, you can light some incense and do your "Pegula be gone from all hockey related decisions incantation", that should knock some of the stuffing off this team.

I did my bit to summon Azal and bring the gargoyle Bok to life.  What else can I do?  Oh, I know: summon the Gorgan Melvin Belli!

Hail, hail!  Fire and snow.

Call the angel; we will go.

Far away, for to see.

Friendly angel come to me

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Staal has a modified NM. A limited number of teams he can reject.  I’m all for moving Montour, like yesterday.   Same for Irwin and Hutton, only I cannot see anyone giving up an asset for any of these players. If you can’t get an offer for Larsson, how does Hutton bring a return?  Montour maybe if you retain half his salary. 

Question - Does Linus sign an extension or does he test UFA?  If he hasn’t resigned before the deadline would he not be a valuable trade asset?  

14 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I did my bit to summon Azal and bring the gargoyle Bok to life.  What else can I do?  Oh, I know: summon the Gorgan Melvin Belli!

Hail, hail!  Fire and snow.

Call the angel; we will go.

Far away, for to see.

Friendly angel come to me

Brilliant Star Trek reference.  Those kids freaked my ***** out. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.