NHL Trade Deadline April 12 —What Would You Like To See Happen?

bob_sauve28

6 minutes ago, Radar said:

Hall value as a playoff rental is not as great as many might think. Sign and trade might be possible but I'm not sure.

Yup. Hall can get us a fellow UFA winger (the guy he replaces in the other team's lineup, but a downgrade) as semi salary-balancing, and then probably a conditional 1st (1st if he re-signs, 2nd if he doesn't). Then... maybe... you can work in a mid-tier/high-potential but injured prospect. It could be a great trade, with luck, but it won't be a haul.

57 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Yup. Hall can get us a fellow UFA winger (the guy he replaces in the other team's lineup, but a downgrade) as semi salary-balancing, and then probably a conditional 1st (1st if he re-signs, 2nd if he doesn't). Then... maybe... you can work in a mid-tier/high-potential but injured prospect. It could be a great trade, with luck, but it won't be a haul.

I think it would be more along the lines of a 3rd round pick that elevated to a 2nd. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Seven RFAs and 8 UFAs.

Of the others, I can’t really seeing them doing anything with Skinner except cross their fingers with a new coach, but Okposo enters buyout territory this summer and Miller and Risto will be a year away from UFA. And of course there are the Jack fears.

There is a ton of potential for movement, although I suspect most of it will come in the summer.

As far as the deadline, would expect a sell-off of UFAs (Montour, Staal, maybe a few depth guys). We may also see an attempt to add Adams version of “grit.” What they do with Hall is the most interesting question.

Am I the only one that doesn’t want them to sell at the deadline? I want them to attempt to win all of their remaining games. 

I know teams don’t usually do that, but this team needs to start winning and now is as good a time as any. Imagine a scenario where we played the last 30 games at a sustained winning pace - something we haven’t done in what a decade? Are we really in a position at that point to bemoan any type of winning, in this case due to the lack of a few draft picks we failed to acquire, when winning has proved so incredibly elusive? 

Keep trying to win this year at full speed. THAT would represent a change. Do something different. 

Edited by Thorny

I don't think the Sabres should do anything at the deadline.  They are not in a position to tinker with the roster, which is the deadline tradition.

This season has been terrible to evaluate players and coaches.  

I think Hall and Samson should be signed to a long-term contracts.

2 hours ago, Curt said:

I don’t think this how the NHL works though.  There aren’t bad teams that blow everything up and are then cup contenders after a couple years.  It’s much more common that decent teams make slight improvements to be good teams, and good teams make slight improvements to become cup contenders.  It’s generally a league of incremental improvements. 

I’m not saying that all the players on the Sabres’ roster are fine, I’m sure there will be changes.  I don’t think that all on the top talent needs to be shipped out before the team can find success though.

I know what you are saying..and if you 'blow it up', it may/will take 5 years before you might be really good again. Its just I don't think this team has the talent to be really good, almost ever with this core.  That Skinner deal is going to be an anchor around this team for a while. Eichel is in is peak years now (most forwards/scorers have their peak production years between the ages of 24 and 28).  I guess I don't see much of a future with this core, and honestly I don't really like watching them play.  I'd get more enjoyment out of a  lot of new talent, thinking and 'hoping' what they can turn into while losing...than watching this core already into their 'peak' years losing.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Teams in contention are looking to bolster areas and give up only prospects and draft picks.  We will very likely get much less value back if we trade Reinhart or Risto at the deadline.  

Risto has matured.   I think if we trade him now we will regret it.  Then again, he is an UFA soon and he will leave anyway.  

I think Reinhart might be your most tradeable player now.

He is scoring, even on this team, so his 'services' would be appreciated/in demand by other teams.

He is still young, another team can think of him not just as a rental but as a long term fit if they want.

He is 'only' making 5.2 million this year...thats not nothing..but much easier for other teams to fit under the cap..or find a piece to send back to the Sabres to make fit under the cap..and someone making a lot more.

His contract is up after this year, and he is still restricted...so he just can't walk from another team.

You still may not get what you want if you trade him, but he just might be the part of this team that you get maximum value back for.

Edited by mjd1001

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I think it would be more along the lines of a 3rd round pick that elevated to a 2nd. 

I was going back to the Kane trade, where we got a 2019 or 2020 1st depending on whether Kane re-signed. But Hall is not having anywhere near the season Kane did, so a 2nd that becomes a 1st. I'm assuming trading to a contender so it's a late 1st anyway.

5 hours ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

1. Get another goaltender with NHL experience.

2. Add size and physicality at 2-3 spots especially defense.

3. Add more speed whenever possible.

You're kidding, right?  This is what you want to do at the TDL?  When the Sabres are hopelessly out of the playoff race?

This is what should happen...trade Hall, Staal, Montour and RIeder(all pending UFA's).  Take this best pick/prospect offer for each of them.  That's it.

Then after the last day of the season, fire RK, and his entire staff, hire a PoHO, let him decide the future of KA, and go from there.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

You're kidding, right?  This is what you want to do at the TDL?  When the Sabres are hopelessly out of the playoff race?

This is what should happen...trade Hall, Staal, Montour and RIeder(all pending UFA's).  Take this best pick/prospect offer for each of them.  That's it.

Then after the last day of the season, fire RK, and his entire staff, hire a PoHO, let him decide the future of KA, and go from there.

What's wrong with using the remainder of runway to try and get these guys playing a new system cohesively and effectively? Won't that have as much or more positive affect on the future of this team than a couple draft picks?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Hey bud if we can accomplish more at the trade deadline-knock yourself out.. It all starts at the top, I'm just talking about avoiding almost complete embarrassment.

I'm totally against panic moves however.

Edited by Torpedo Forecheck

1 minute ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

Hey bud if we can accomplish more at the trade deadline-knock yourself out.. It all starts at the top, I'm just talking about avoiding almost complete embarrassment.

How often is a team that is out of the playoff race a buyer at the deadline, making acquisitions for the future, at a time when the prices are sky high, and the competition is fierce?

Then again, that sounds exactly something like this screwed up franchise would do. 😂

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I think Reinhart might be your most tradeable player now.

He is scoring, even on this team, so his 'services' would be appreciated/in demand by other teams.

He is still young, another team can think of him not just as a rental but as a long term fit if they want.

He is 'only' making 5.2 million this year...thats not nothing..but much easier for other teams to fit under the cap..or find a piece to send back to the Sabres to make fit under the cap..and someone making a lot more.

His contract is up after this year, and he is still restricted...so he just can't walk from another team.

You still may not get what you want if you trade him, but he just might be the part of this team that you get maximum value back for.

I’d say Eichel or Dahlin gets better value. But if you include them in the “untouchable” category, you’re right.

There is a part of me that wants to see Sam on a winning team where both his skill and the recognition he gets for it will fully blossom. He has been so wasted on this team.

How often is a team that is out of the playoff race a buyer at the deadline, making acquisitions for the future, at a time when the prices are sky high, and the competition is fierce?

Then again, that sounds exactly something like this screwed up franchise would do. 😂

Start with a goalie.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’d say Eichel or Dahlin gets better value. But if you include them in the “untouchable” category, you’re right.

There is a part of me that wants to see Sam on a winning team where both his skill and the recognition he gets for it will fully blossom. He has been so wasted on this team.

Goes for Eichel too, maybe even moreso 

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I don't think the Sabres should do anything at the deadline.  They are not in a position to tinker with the roster, which is the deadline tradition.

This season has been terrible to evaluate players and coaches.  

I think Hall and Samson should be signed to a long-term contracts.

A good GM uses every opportunity to try to get better now or in the near future.  Signing Hall is not a good decision. In the Athletics article interviewing past Sabres Captains, one former captain mentioned that Hall's legs are already going.  Not a good sign for a 30ish player.  We have enough bad contracts.  

Rutherford used to find long-term fits for the Pens at the deadline in addition to short-term help.  I think the Sabres should be both buyers and sellers at the deadline.  Maybe they find Hutton's replacement (upgrade?) or a decent top 6 RW.  Maybe KA can leverage the assets received for Staal and Hall for a decent 2C with some contract left.  

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

What's wrong with using the remainder of runway to try and get these guys playing a new system cohesively and effectively? Won't that have as much or more positive affect on the future of this team than a couple draft picks?

Guys who won't be(or shouldn't be) on the team next year?  Are you saying we should keep the 4 players I mentioned, and let them walk in the off-season?

Edited by LabattBlue

Guys who won't be(or shouldn't be) on the team next year?  Are you saying we should keep the 4 players I mentioned, and let them walk in the off-season?

What's the most turnover we've ever seen in one offseason? The majority will be back 

Just now, Thorny said:

What's the most turnover we've ever seen in one offseason? The majority will be back 

Staal...He's gone. In fact I'm never sure he was here

Hall...He's gone..unless they want another horrible contract to go with Skinner and Okposo

Montour...He's gone.  The Ice Capades are calling

Reider...Maybe at the vet minimum.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Staal...He's gone. In fact I'm never sure he was here

Hall...He's gone..unless they want another horrible contract to go with Skinner and Okposo

Montour...He's gone.  The Ice Capades are calling

Reider...Maybe at the vet minimum.

An interim coach who can up their trade value by getting everyone to play better would be an immense help.

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'd gut the team and get as many picks and prospects as possible. Trade all UFAs and even all RFAs (but some of those can wait until later if necessary). Also going to trade Eichel but that also can wait if necessary until the off season. I've had enough of this lot. 

I'm fine with ready to go prospects/preferably young NHLers. I really don't wanna go the pick route any place that's possible 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.