NHL Trade Deadline April 12 —What Would You Like To See Happen?

bob_sauve28

Lots of rumors out there about Jack and others moving. I don’t want to see that happen myself but we should take advantage of the fact we are not going to playoffs and have players that can help other teams. 

I would be shopping for a solid goalie. Though I would hate to lose Risto or Olofsson they might be our best assets to move to get a solid goaltender who will be around a few years. 

They continually talk of confidence and passion being a key missing ingredient. That is something that becomes ingrained once it’s an expectation. And the thing about expectations are they are for all the time. Regardless of who we deal, much of the roster will be returning. If this management group is sincere about having identified those things as needing to significantly improve, they have no excuse not to prioritize performance in the remainder of this season.

And that includes from management. Upgrading the roster in season needs to be aggressively pursued. Adams has said he is, he needs to convert. It’s about results.  

• Like (+1) 1

I would imagine that most players on 1 year contracts will be moved if there's a decent interest.

Hall will be traded and the good news is that with the Sabres being so dysfunctional no one can really believe that Hall is as had as he is playing so someone will give up something decent for him.

2 minutes ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

1. Get another goaltender with NHL experience.

2. Add size and physicality at 2-3 spots especially defense.

3. Add more speed whenever possible.

Pretty much this. Number 2 needs to address the LHD/RHD imbalance and number 3 should lean towards a RW if possible 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Blow the team up, start at the top and work your way down.

I know, I know, the coach is bad. But we have seen this team (this core) for years now not being good.  You get the best coach in the league, and is this team, this core, good enough to challenge for the cup and be an exciting team to watch score a lot of goals? I don't think so. They made too many mistakes in the tank, their talent pipeline is pretty empty coming up from Rochester....I just don't like watching these players anymore.

If you aren't going to be good, be entertaining (the Leafs, for example, for most of the past 15 years). This team isn't even close to that.  Blow it up so at least I can have hope again that MAYBE the future will be a lot brighter. This team can be a little better, but I don't see a bright future for it. Changing the coach and tweaking a few players so you can contend for that last playoff spot year after year isn't good enough for me.  Might as well just be bad if you can't be great.

22 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Blow the team up, start at the top and work your way down.

I know, I know, the coach is bad. But we have seen this team (this core) for years now not being good.  You get the best coach in the league, and is this team, this core, good enough to challenge for the cup and be an exciting team to watch score a lot of goals? I don't think so. They made too many mistakes in the tank, their talent pipeline is pretty empty coming up from Rochester....I just don't like watching these players anymore.

If you aren't going to be good, be entertaining (the Leafs, for example, for most of the past 15 years). This team isn't even close to that.  Blow it up so at least I can have hope again that MAYBE the future will be a lot brighter. This team can be a little better, but I don't see a bright future for it. Changing the coach and tweaking a few players so you can contend for that last playoff spot year after year isn't good enough for me.  Might as well just be bad if you can't be great.

I don’t think this how the NHL works though.  There aren’t bad teams that blow everything up and are then cup contenders after a couple years.  It’s much more common that decent teams make slight improvements to be good teams, and good teams make slight improvements to become cup contenders.  It’s generally a league of incremental improvements. 

I’m not saying that all the players on the Sabres’ roster are fine, I’m sure there will be changes.  I don’t think that all on the top talent needs to be shipped out before the team can find success though.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Would ya trade Jack Quinn? 

not sure why we would consider trading Quinn who hasn't even played yet...better to get rid of all the many overpaid vets on this team that have no grit or heart. And I don't trust management enough (meaning pegulas) to make trades where we may actually win th etrade

• Like (+1) 1

I want to see the Sabres as a major seller and I want Hall specifically gone.  Do not want to see him extended. 

I do not want Jack or Dahlin traded.

I am OK with Reinhart going *if* the return is strong.

Risto can always go, if we can get anything in exchange for him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kruppstahl said:

I want to see the Sabres as a major seller and I want Hall specifically gone.  Do not want to see him extended. 

Heck Sam and Risto are the only bright spots right now! Take them away and what's left? Fur sure no Hall signing. Apparently the Leafs are interested in Hall and we should hopefully win that trade as Leafs have much to offer..

Seven RFAs and 8 UFAs.

Of the others, I can’t really seeing them doing anything with Skinner except cross their fingers with a new coach, but Okposo enters buyout territory this summer and Miller and Risto will be a year away from UFA. And of course there are the Jack fears.

There is a ton of potential for movement, although I suspect most of it will come in the summer.

As far as the deadline, would expect a sell-off of UFAs (Montour, Staal, maybe a few depth guys). We may also see an attempt to add Adams version of “grit.” What they do with Hall is the most interesting question.

Before you do anything with this roster you bring in the right person to evaluate these players. Remember. Both Adams and Ralph truly believed that these guys had the character to win. Some of these players have talent /skill. For the most part they lack the intangibles. The character, the grit, the toughness, the playoff experience. Not sure I’d let Adams tackle the job of  turning this around. He’s a nice guy but so are a lot of these players. 

• Like (+1) 3

Jack is not a trade deadline guy.  I would be shocked if he was traded at the deadline because a deal involving him would likely involve a lot of pieces moving.  Dahlin and Cozens will stay.  

More likely Hall is moved because his contract is up.  Montour and Miller because defense is coveted at the deadline.    

No one will take Skinner or Okposo - contracts.  

Everyone else, including Reinhart, is a possibility too.   We could really get fleeced if we act irrationally.  

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Teams in contention are looking to bolster areas and give up only prospects and draft picks.  We will very likely get much less value back if we trade Reinhart or Risto at the deadline.  

Risto has matured.   I think if we trade him now we will regret it.  Then again, he is an UFA soon and he will leave anyway.  

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

not sure why we would consider trading Quinn who hasn't even played yet...better to get rid of all the many overpaid vets on this team that have no grit or heart. And I don't trust management enough (meaning pegulas) to make trades where we may actually win th etrade

Only reason I brought that up is because I don't think Jack or Skinner are tradable. Big salaries and low performance for both. And Hall is just a rental player to another team, so the return won't be super, I'd imagine. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Dump Hall, Staal, and possibly Montour for whatever we can get.  I'd like hockey trades, like Montour for a defensive D.  Hall for a RW or center.  

Time is now to move Cozens or Mitts to center to evaluate is their future is in the middle or the wing.  

I wonder if we could get a legit 2C for Hall (i.e. not another Staal)

However, the current state of our SS evaluations could drastically change if a new coach is brought in who actually gets the most out of the players.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.