GDT: 3/6/21 Sabres @ Islanders 12:30 p.m. MSG

Claude Balls

13 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Skinner is not used correctly and the results show it.  Sorry to the "Skinner should drive a line" or "Skinner doesn't play D well" crowds.  Not his job.  His job is to snipe.

And how's that been working out?

(I think @thorny might be right. It gobsmacks me how easily even good posters handwave the enormity of Jeff's lack of production. Krueger might not use him properly, but Krueger isn't the one missing all those golden opportunities game, after, game after game.)

Edited by dudacek

Just now, dudacek said:

(I think @thorny might be right. It gobsmacks me how easily even good posters handwave the enormity of Jeff's lack of production. Krueger might not use him properly, but Krueger isn't the one missing all those golden opportunities.)

It isn't working out because he has VERY rarely been deployed in that role since Kruger was hired.  That's why it isn't working out.

I hope the gob stops smacking you.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

(I think @thorny might be right. It gobsmacks me how easily even good posters handwave the enormity of Jeff's lack of production. Krueger might not use him properly, but Krueger isn't the one missing all those golden opportunities.)

It's why I feel compelled to point out Jack's production. As bad as he's been, he's still almost point a game - he is helping the team in some way. Jeff is doing quite literally nothing. The contract is a huge issue, finding someway somehow to get rid of it would be by far the best scenario

Just now, Thorny said:

It's why I feel compelled to point out Jack's production. As bad as he's been, he's still almost point a game - he is helping the team in some way. Jeff is doing quite literally nothing. The contract is a huge issue, finding someway somehow to get rid of it would be by far the best scenario

Eichel plays with scorers!  Skinner does not.  He plays with plugs.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Eleven said:

It isn't working out because he has VERY rarely been deployed in that role since Kruger was hired.  That's why it isn't working out.

I think he'd do more under a new coach but I'm still worried about HOW bad it's been. 

Like how ok the Sabres have had a tough go of it in some ways, but that excuse only goes so far. It's that they are THIS bad 

Just now, Eleven said:

Eichel plays with scorers!  Skinner does not.  He plays with plugs.

Ya up to like 10 games ago I was willing to discount the lion's share to that. 

It's becoming highly abnormal. It's not so plausible to me that one factor could be causing all of the struggle. 

It's also why I'm a little bit worried about Dahlin. (Shh, don't tell anyone that)

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

But he’s getting plenty of chances and still not scoring. I’m not sure zero for even more is the goal. 

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

(I think @thorny might be right. It gobsmacks me how easily even good posters handwave the enormity of Jeff's lack of production. Krueger might not use him properly, but Krueger isn't the one missing all those golden opportunities game, after, game after game.)

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Why doesn't the bolded bother you?

Don't you think he should have more than 3 goals in his past 51 games, regardless of how he is deployed?

I'll hang up and listen

The key to following the sabres is to only watch three minutes of any one game. They probably will only give up one or two goals in that short stretch and there could be the illusion that they could still win. If you’re drunk beforehand.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

Yes....ol' missile head!  Loved his goal celebration too.  Fast forward to 2021, I wouldn't mind having Marcus back on the roster with this team.

Marcus is kicking ass right now, had a nice little article written about his comtributions recently. I'd take him back immediately!!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Why doesn't the bolded bother you?

Don't you think he should have more than 3 goals in his past 51 games, regardless of how he is deployed?

I'll hang up and listen

This cuts two ways.

Skinner should not have been playing with most of the players he has been on lines with since RK started.  He really could stand to be on a PP just to get him going.

He also should be scoring more.  But he creates platinum opportunities which still don't go in.  He plays with guys he does not trust to create rebounds for him or to finish chances he creates.

Both he and RK share responsibility for his drought.  I think we are quibbling over who gets a majority of the blame.

56 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

You know what...I'm in favor of making Mike Foligno the HC, and trading for Marcus and Nick.  I love me a Foligno! LOL

Nick is a UFA next season.  You just need to pay him.  And if Jack is gone, this is exactly the type of leadership to fill the void.

• SDS unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Jack has 6 points 5 on 5. He gets the most ice time. He plays with skilled guys. He is far from carrying this team in his back like he should. 
Skinner is so streaky that he could literally be tied in goals with Jack next game. 

I’d strip that “C” off his chest pronto. Bo Horvat has a “C” on his chest and has 17 points. 6g 6a 5on5. He leads. And he’s not a supposed superstar.

Its over. They are finishing last for sure this year. And if they don’t, shame on the Wings and any other team. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

Jack has 6 points 5 on 5. He gets the most ice time. He plays with skilled guys. He is far from carrying this team in his back like he should. 
Skinner is so streaky that he could literally be tied in goals with Jack next game. 

I’d strip that “C” off his chest pronto. Bo Horvat has a “C” on his chest and has 17 points. 6g 6a 5on5. He leads. And he’s not a supposed superstar.

Its over. They are finishing last for sure this year. And if they don’t, shame on the Wings and any other team. 

I'm not saying anything new (for me) that I haven't said before, but as far as Jack goes:

-I think he is playing hurt and it is impacting his game. Super talented players are so good because they are just 1 step faster than everyone else, 1 inch more accurate with their shots and passes..that is what separates them from the masses.  An 'annoying' injury can be just enough to take away that edge.

-I also think that Jack is a great player, but maybe 1 step behind what we all want him to be, even at his best.  Last year was his best year ever, it was nothing like we have seen out of a Sabre in long, long time...At times he was able to carry this team to a win. But guess what? That doesn't make him a top 3-5 player in the NHL, there are about 20 guys that can do that for stretches.  He was 10th in points last year, in his best year ever...and since he has been drafted there are 23 other players that have more points than him.   Again, he is very good, maybe great, but he is not the mega-superstar-MVP guy that many think he should be year after year...not when your production in your BEST year and in every other year of your career is in line with about 10-15 other guys.

You want Jack to be able to carry this team for stretches of 3-6 games at a time? You want him to take over and win a game for you once or twice a month?  He can and should do that when he is healthy.  But we have to stop thinking of him as a top 5 player in this league and expect results (stats and wins) in line with that. Now into his 6th season, he HAS proven he is an All-star player, but he also has proven over that time he isn't more than that.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

Jack plays with Olofsson who isn't good 5v5 but nobody told Krueger so here we are. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Jack plays with Olofsson who isn't good 5v5 but nobody told Krueger so here we are. 

I think Victor has made notably fewer negative 5-on-5 plays than Jack this year.

Jack's production has largely come from 2ndry assists on plays predominantly driven by Victor's snipes, Dahlin's passing and/or both from Sam.

Edited by dudacek

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I do, actually.  I also think Jack should have more than two in his last twenty.  Yet here we are, and what's the commonality?  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.