Oh Captain My Captain: Former Sabres weigh in on this disaster

LGR4GM

4 hours ago, JKB1646 said:

Eichel’s history as a pouter goes back to his USNTDP days. Just because your the highest paid player doesn’t mean your captain material. When Ullmark was in net Jack still played the same, scored as much, excuse me none, and still pouts and whines and glides to the bench. I think in the coming months there are some very very hard decisions to make on coaching, management and players. Everyone in the league knows this is gonna be a dumpster fire. A good GM still has an opportunity to get the most return for these turds! 
I own a Construction company. Highly skilled carpenters are hard to find but do I keep a guy that I know clocks in late, leaves early, takes a long lunch and steals from me. Especially when he is the highest paid guy on the job site. Hell no because then everybody else will be robbing me blind too. At $11M I would have a problem with this employee! 

As owner of a construction company its doubtful the worker you describe would be made a foreman or given any other position of authority or higher profile designation. ( unless he's married to your daughter) Its also doubtful he would even have a job for very long.

So who's fault is it? My answer is whomever is coaching and above them managing the company/organization.

It starts at the top...

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Drury has a front office job.  Ruff is once again a head coach.  LaFontaine works for the league I guess?   None are ever going to happen.  

Michael Peca is a player development coach for Washington.  Recently hired by MacLellan to coach the taxi squad and keep them ready to play during the season.  Prior to that he was GM and Director of Hockey Operations for the junior Sabres.  

Great guy, working his way up slowly and steady.  His work at Junior level was impressive.   With the Caps he will be exposed to high quality  Hockey Operations, coaching, and a culture of winning.  

He is not ready yet but a name to keep an eye on in the coming years.  

His ties to Buffalo are still strong. 

I keep thinking where is a guy like Michael Peca when you need him...

53 minutes ago, Figster said:

Out learning the business the correct way.  He has more steps at various level to make.  His current position with the Capitals staff will only help his career.   

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Figster said:

This is also another recurring problem with the Sabres. Stop pining for past glory. 

Nolan, Ruff, Lafontaine, Drury, Dudley, the list goes on. It’s not 1999 or 1975 anymore. It’s 2021. 

If the Sabres are going to go anywhere in the future, it’s not by looking in the past. The past has zero Stanley Cups  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

As owner of a construction company its doubtful the worker you describe would be made a foreman or given any other position of authority or higher profile designation. ( unless he's married to your daughter) Its also doubtful he would even have a job for very long.

So who's fault is it? My answer is whomever is coaching and above them managing the company/organization.

It starts at the top...

My point exactly! I have had talented carpenters who are worthless employees and no they aren’t married to my daughter and no they did not last 6 months let alone 4 years. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

It starts at the top...

2 minutes ago, JKB1646 said:

My point exactly! I have had talented carpenters who are worthless employees and no they aren’t married to my daughter and no they did not last 6 months let alone 4 years. 

Thank God your workers aren’t making $5 to $10 million a season. That would probably complicate things. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

I don’t have a subscription to the athletic but those excerpts are sad.

And now we have a GM who’s is feeling the heat to make a move and uh oh is how I feel. We had a GM in JBot who shat the bed with the R O trade. Imagine how badly KA could be fleeced? 

To you actual people who pay to go to the games in Buffalo, while Covid sucks, it’s the thing that’s saved you money and seeing them live. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JKB1646 said:

You continue to blame Jack for the C on his back and the amount of money he makes.

You missed my point completely...

15 hours ago, Curt said:

This is embarrassing obviously, but embarrassment seems like the only thing that the Pegulas truly respond to.  I hope that they feel embarrassed enough to find some humility, take a step back, and act on that other rumor floating around.  They need help running this team, and I hope that they do bring in a very experienced FO person to oversee the hockey department and be the conduit between owners and everyone below.

You should see the comment section on the TSN article about Barzals goal today.  We are getting absolutely roasted. It’s embarrassing. 

21 hours ago, Figster said:

You continue to blame Jack for the C on his back and the amount of money he makes.

You missed my point completely...

I don’t begrudge any athlete to make the most of their talents! It’s entertainment and they are making their bosses money or they couldn’t  make these kinds of salaries. I don’t hold the C on his jersey against him either. What I have utter contempt about Jack Eichel the player is; his complete lack of leadership skills, his lack of hustle, his rich boy whining punk ass attitude, his gliding to the bench, his half ass back checking and his overall  lack of blue collar bring your lunch bucket to work attitude! Let me be more clear. On an scale of 1 to 10: 10 being Sid and Jack is a 2. 
If KA had some sack he would fire RK and strip the C off Eichel’s jersey at freaking center ice prior to a game so this pouting  little brat gets the message loud and clear. There are no givens in life, you earn what you get now get to work!

Clear?

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JKB1646 said:

I don’t begrudge any athlete to make the most of their talents! It’s entertainment and they are making their bosses money or they couldn’t  make these kinds of salaries. I don’t hold the C on his jersey against him either. What I have utter contempt about Jack Eichel the player is; his complete lack of leadership skills, his lack of hustle, his rich boy whining punk ass attitude, his gliding to the bench, his half ass back checking and his overall  lack of blue collar bring your lunch bucket to work attitude! Let me be more clear. On an scale of 1 to 10: 10 being Sid and Jack is a 2. 
If KA had some sack he would fire RK and strip the C off Eichel’s jersey at freaking center ice prior to a game so this pouting  little brat gets the message loud and clear. There are no givens in life, you earn what you get now get to work!

Clear?

What if Jack has been playing injured? You still want to make a public example out of him? 

He was an MVP candidate last year, and now he’s suddenly different.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Ice Cold said:

It's like, who else would work for us, without that nostalgia factored in?  I don't think the most experienced candidates would consider us to be an attractive destination because of the way we've been run recently.  

That said, Mike Babcock's image is sort of tarnished.  The old prodigal son.  He might relish the project, I'd bet.  Savior complex.  Big ego.

Or we could give a young guy/gal his/her first shot running things.  Or perhaps Mark Hunter.  He nearly became the GM of the Leafs.  

I agree that it's doubtful the best candidate is a former Sabre.  It just makes it easier for fans to accept them, and for them to accept the Sabres.  

No to Babcock. He said no to the Sabres and leveraged them to get his Leafs deal. Screw off. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.