Oh Captain My Captain: Former Sabres weigh in on this disaster

LGR4GM

Former Sabres captains chime in on the complete and utter disfunction that is the Buffalo Sabres. Also, all 30 Sabres who have worn the C are still alive. 

https://theathletic.com/2426679/2021/03/05/former-sabres-captains-weigh-in-on-teams-woes-a-whole-new-kind-of-unwatchable/

Here is one quote from a captain, he is from the Knox ownership era. 

I can’t figure out what style Krueger wants them to play. Maybe you can. “Confusion” might be what it’s called. So changing lines won’t do anything. You have to change your style. You can’t force a style if it doesn’t fit your roster. You have to roll out a style your players can provide. They have really good players with one goal or two goals.

• Like (+1) 4

“That team is going nowhere.” All they’re trying to do is fool the fan base that the future is right around the corner — until you’re hyping the next group of young guys coming up two years later.

Casey Mittelstadt is an example. The Sabres should have told him not to leave college after one year. A good organization looks at a kid like that, who didn’t even dominate college hockey, and refuses to rush him. There was no point. He should have stayed two more years and turned pro as a much better center. The 2017 eighth overall draft choice should be a difference maker by now. He has the talent and vision. As of today, he’s nothing.

We can go back eight years, and I just don’t see too many leaders. They haven’t done anything. They haven’t been anywhere. They don’t make a difference.

This Captain was from the Lindy Ruff era. Also... this might be the best thing I have ever read. Not this quote specifically but this article. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This Captain was from the Lindy Ruff era. Also... this might be the best thing I have ever read. Not this quote specifically but this article. 

Aside for Rivet, can anyone think of any other Ruff era captains who held the role at the end of their careers?

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

Aside for Rivet, can anyone think of any other Ruff era captains who held the role at the end of their careers?

Steve Ott

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I can't read it...any other quotes would be appreciated

I'll give one more but the athletic is worth the subscription IMPO. 

A former Sabres captain who asked not to be described further

What I hear from my friends and ex-teammates throughout the league is not nice. The Sabres are a mess. As much as it hurts me to say, they’re a laughingstock. I don’t like hearing that. I had a lot of success in Buffalo. I’m proud of my time with the Sabres. I want them to be good, especially for the fans...

... I don’t think they have the correct people in place, and a lot of other NHL people doubt these are the correct people because of how it was done. The league is shaking its head. There are so many highly qualified people in the NHL, and it bothers me when I hear the laughter that the Sabres’ GM was running their junior program a year ago.

• Like (+1) 5

9 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Would anyone even notice? Has anyone even seen him recently?

I personally don't think he is actually in charge. I think Ralph is in charge for the most part with Krueger Adams getting the things Ralph wants. 

Edited by LGR4GM

1 minute ago, klos1963 said:

Would anyone even notice? Has anyone even seen him recently?

Exactly.

I keep asking, where is the GM, where is ownership?

I don't expect a public fist pounding on the table moment, but as a fan I do expect a publicly in person expressed statement that says this current situation is unacceptable and we will address it immediately.

But then, that should have been done years ago.

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I personally don't think he is actually in charge. I think Ralph is in charge for the most part with Krueger getting the things Ralph wants. 

Really taking the whole help me help you thing to a literal level 

8 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Exactly.

I keep asking, where is the GM, where is ownership?

I don't expect a public fist pounding on the table moment, but as a fan I do expect a publicly in person expressed statement that says this current situation is unacceptable and we will address it immediately.

But then, that should have been done years ago.

They are all hiding behind the "Articulate Incompetent" known as Ralph Krueger.  Since he is unable to effectively coach a team, he can at least earn his $3.9 million by drawing all the heat from the media and fans.

Edited by Carmel Corn
  • Like (+1) 1

Ouch!  The Pegula’s deserve MAJOR criticism for the hiring of Adams, and the reason they chose him.

“... The league is shaking its head. There are so many highly qualified people in the NHL, and it bothers me when I hear the laughter that the Sabres’ GM was running their junior program a year ago.”

Edited by LabattBlue

38 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Officially the laughing stock of the league. I can't wait for the day we fire Adams.

Edit: Am I the only one that wants Adams gone?

I don’t necessarily want him gone, there could be a spot for him in the organization, but consider me *highly skeptical* that no interview process was necessary, and that the right guy for GM just happened to be here all along. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I don’t necessarily want him gone, there could be a spot for him in the organization, but consider me *highly skeptical* that no interview process was necessary, and that the right guy for GM just happened to be here all along. 

it was cheap and easy to hire him. Pegula's didn't want to have to do actual work of hiring a good GM

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

God, the excerpts from the article make me want to cry.  The Pegulas are to the NHL what Dan Snyder is to the NFL.

We're also seeing it with the NFL Texans where a motivational sub-coach guy has the owners ear and has destroyed an up-and-coming franchise with a stud young quarterback and now all the best players want out.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.