Rumor: Sabres looking for help to run team

SDS

1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

Do they usually dip into rumors? I mean more than a “hey saw this from a person on Twitter!”

I think it depends on the nature of the rumor.  This one never seemed very well substantiated, so I think they will avoid it.

In fact, if a caller brings it up, they might stomp on him.  Not sure.

It's a question of journalistic sensibility. Some might discuss it, others might not.

I am listening to The Instigators now.  They just mentioned Elliott Friedman was going to be on with them at 11am.

I highly doubt he mentioned anything about any of this on that show! 

I still think there is something to this, not in terms of a sale, but in terms of some kind of meaningful change within the organization.

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

Tim Graham says NONE of it is for sale.  Not even 5%.

If the Pegulas are interested in sticking around, why would they sell some of the team?

I wish this rumor came from someone with greater pedigree; it's hard to really trust it right now.

I think what this *might* mean is the Pegulas are looking to change what they are doing.

Perhaps my dream has come true.  The Pegulas have realized Kim has no business running the organization, and they are looking to restructure and bring in outside help.

That's my guess.

This is good news if correct.

If you still have controlling interest and can lure someone in who has the capability of running a succesful hockey franchise.

Its a win, win, win for all concerned. 

(Tim Graham is a clever guy...)

Nothing from nothing leaves nothing

You gotta have something

If you want to be with me

Edited by Figster

6 minutes ago, Figster said:

If you still have controlling interest and can lure someone in who has the capability of running a succesful hockey franchise.

Its a win, win , win for all involved. 

(Tim Graham is a clever guy...)

I don't see Terry Pegula as the sort of personality who wants to share ownership with anyone.

You don't need to relinquish *ownership* to bring in outsiders to run the organization.

38 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

I apologized because this is the second time in three months I've asked this person the same question. The first time, was after a secondary source I trust informed me of the possibility. That rumor was knocked down quickly.

So when this latest one popped up, I knew there were serious questions in regards to it, based on the source it was coming from, so I apologized in asking yet again knowing the report was very likely not accurate, and I was wasting everyone's time.

The last time Frank Wolf thought he broke a story about something, I checked up on it and was immediately told it was not true. I then approached Frank in the pressbox to inform him what I was told.

Frank shrugged and said, "Oops." And that was it.

When it comes to putting sourced information out there, this is not a reasonable or professional response.

But of course, you know better.

jw

Seriously... he said "oops?"

That's like telling people they are all getting $1000 only to tell them a week later it was a typo and meant to say $10. Oops doesn't cut it!

Thank you John though for clarifying the situation for us however.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I’ll admit I have an account on Twitter, but rarely use it, and don’t “tweet” or “retweet”  at all. 

With that being said, am I the only who struggles to follow conversations/responses/exchanges within the Twitter world?

Nope. I have to use it for work. It's a pain. However it is nothing compared to the nightmare that is discord.

29 minutes ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

My insider tells me they're looking for a 12 person panel selected from Sabrespace. 3 pure analytics types, 3 old schoolers and 6 on the in the midle. Hope it doesn't end up like Politics!

I call trade ideas guy! Sorry Sweetlou but I've been here longer 😁

• Thanks (+1) 1

All of this is too vague and uncertain for me to get excited over. i can only hope the Pegulas have finally realized they do not know what it takes and will step back and turn it over to a hockey guy. If that's it I still say Rick Dudley. 

All I know right now is it's only 5 weeks until the trade deadline and Adams should start moving out bodies soon. If he waits until the deadline he will get less. This season is hopeless. 

I wonder if Jessie Pegula's tennis run had any influence on the sudden seeming urge to find someone to help run the Sabres. After all, between all the NFL stuff and being a proud Mom; Kim Pegula is likely rather busy. 

But hey whatever gets us a president of hockey ops and the Pegulas letting hockey people do hockey things is great.

I wonder, if a organization restructuring is going to happen, if the most likely thing is for Kevin Adams, someone they know and trust, to be PoHO, being the be the day to day representative of ownership and the go between from owners to organization.  Then hire a new GM.

I have a hard time believing that Pegulas would bring someone fresh into the organization and place them on top in a PoHO role.  Seems unlikely.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

All of this is too vague and uncertain for me to get excited over. i can only hope the Pegulas have finally realized they do not know what it takes and will step back and turn it over to a hockey guy. If that's it I still say Rick Dudley. 

All I know right now is it's only 5 weeks until the trade deadline and Adams should start moving out bodies soon. If he waits until the deadline he will get less. This season is hopeless. 

Gillis. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Do you really expect an answer?  And what difference does it make?  No way the damn tank happens without the owner's approval.  It all just stinks to this day.

@john wawrow has been reasonably responsive when he pops in -- I would guess that he'd answer if it wouldn't breach a confidentiality obligation or other professional ethical obligation. 

I agree that the tank wouldn't have happened without TP's approval.  I'm just curious as to whether TM sold him a bill of goods, as opposed to whether TM was given specific instructions on this particular awful idea that has kneecapped the franchise for a generation.

10 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Dudley would be just what the doctor ordered IMHO.  And he's a former Sabre, which might be appealing to TP.  Let's hope so.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

So, are they looking for a minority partner type deal?

If so, how much can we scrape together as a group Sabrespace? I can throw in 10k.

We really need Pegula’s to maintain full ownership and just get out of the way.  

Someone like Rutherford, with recent Cup pedigree, to run Hockey Operations and deal with coaches and the roster and player development.  Let Adams run the business operation and be the guy that talks to the Pegula’s.  He seems to have their favor.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Unfortunately Dudley is employed as the Senior Advisor to GM Bill Zito in Florida. 

There were some discussions with the Sabres prior to Him taking the position but an agreement could not be reached 

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

@john wawrow has been reasonably responsive when he pops in -- I would guess that he'd answer if it wouldn't breach a confidentiality obligation or other professional ethical obligation. 

I agree that the tank wouldn't have happened without TP's approval.  I'm just curious as to whether TM sold him a bill of goods, as opposed to whether TM was given specific instructions on this particular awful idea that has kneecapped the franchise for a generation.

Dudley would be just what the doctor ordered IMHO.  And he's a former Sabre, which might be appealing to TP.  Let's hope so.

Your still wrong about it and even though you like to pop in and do your little cheeky snide comments about the tank constantly, you will always be wrong about it. I know you desperately want that not to be true and to try in throw it in people's faces but 

Edited by LGR4GM

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

I agree that @john wawrow has always replied and chimed in to the limit of his professionalism allows, which is good.  I don't think he would feel comfortable answering that question, assuming he knows.  It is an interesting question, but not that important to me.

Did Dudley not rule out any role with the Sabres some time ago?  Maybe the Sabres said no thanks back then and he would be welcomed now.  Would Dudley come back as GM?  He may be better in that role and put Adams in the President of Hockey role.  Not sure.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

This level of certitude seems over the top. No reporter can know this for sure.

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

I wonder, if a organization restructuring is going to happen, if the most likely thing is for Kevin Adams, someone they know and trust, to be PoHO, being the be the day to day representative of ownership and the go between from owners to organization.  Then hire a new GM.

I have a hard time believing that Pegulas would bring someone fresh into the organization and place them on top in a PoHO role.  Seems unlikely.

If the Pegulas are considering another big change in the management of the team so soon after the last one, wouldn't it imply the new guys will be gone?

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think you're one GM off. It was Darcy who was there at the start of the tank. (See also: suffering, succotash.) In the spring of '13 he talked about rebuilding on WGR and said the extent of the rebuild would be Terry's decision. Murray didn't come in for almost a year, after LaLa and Battista!™ went to Ottawa.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I agree that @john wawrow has always replied and chimed in to the limit of his professionalism allows, which is good.  I don't think he would feel comfortable answering that question, assuming he knows.  It is an interesting question, but not that important to me.

Did Dudley not rule out any role with the Sabres some time ago?  Maybe the Sabres said no thanks back then and he would be welcomed now.  Would Dudley come back as GM?  He may be better in that role and put Adams in the President of Hockey role.  Not sure.

I'd leave Kevin where he is and bring in someone with GM and management experience to run the club and mentor KA as KA builds the roster and manages the cap.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Wasn't the tank a DR and TP decision?

It was. It occurred after the Sabres made a heroic run to 8th place in 2013 even though they were bad after almost a decade of mediocre drafting. They decided that the current talent they had wasn't good enough (it wasn't) and they needed to reset to they sold off things under DR before he was fired and GMTM in 2014 finished last for Reinhart. With the McDavid/Eichel draft coming the following year, TMGM continued the tank for the 2nd year to ensure one of the two. The problem was always and continues to be that after they tanked, they never fixed their drafting and under GMTM they ignored the defense, under GMJB they ignored the offense, and under all of them refused to hire an actual good coach with Dan Freaking Bylsma as probably the best of the bunch. The tank worked, the rebuild failed, multiple times due to chronic mismanagement of professional and draft assets. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.